Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
TheManFromPOST

My leg and the last 2 months

Wow. That is gnarly TMFP, well beyond anything I expected upon reading the thread title. Speedy recovery mate.

All the best for today TMFP .

Been fasting since 6 this morning

Reported to hospital at noon

Finally got to operating theatre at 7.00 pm

So I'm supposing you're in there now. Will post again to you tomorrow .

... what a fucking tedious way to spend a day :\

I mean, what else can they do?

This is why we need nanorobotics sooner than later. Something needs to physically go in there and punch the damn bacteria out of you!

the bacteria was gone months ago

what the surgery i am having is to reconstruct the skin on my lower calf, ankle and foot

for the most part, it has worked, there are a few spots that are not healling as quick as they should

• Like 1

I guess if I'd been stronger about this I would have asked the other day exactly what the surgery was for ... instead I assumed the nasty. You are well on the way to one hell of a scrap book !

the bacteria was gone months ago

what the surgery i am having is to reconstruct the skin on my lower calf, ankle and foot

for the most part, it has worked, there are a few spots that are not healling as quick as they should

Cyborg Limbs. ASAP

Get on with it medical science!

Must be a little surreal looking down and seeing so much of what makes you tick.

Cyborg Limbs. ASAP

Get on with it medical science!

Actually, that's kind possible now: there are brain-controlled artificial limbs. And not just simple one like legs. They still have no sensation, though, and no proprioception, so that is a definite downgrade.

may all your bacteria be symbiotic, and all your limbs be blessed with adequate mobility

as for scars... they are just proof that you lived long enough to heal

if you live somewhere cold, there's very little that a pair of stylish long pants won't make normal :)

hope that the hot weather isn't making any bandages too itchy, and get well soon- long convalescences are okay, but eventually lose their attraction

this i can state from recent personal experience, having just been through a year of waiting for my immune system to re-boot after it copped a half year of chemotherapy that kicked my stage 4 lymphoma's arse quite effectively :)

it's generally more fun to be on the other side of the desk in medical issues, but being mortal isn't only for my patients

• Like 3

Bloody hell. It really is not just fb and twittersville that slow this place down :(

@scruffy

long pants are out at the moment, the flap is both swollen and more than what was needed

as for bandages, the one that covers the graft donor site tends to be the most annoying as it stays in place for two weeks

mobility does not seem to be a problem, there is some numbness but walking is fine, steps are getting easier

hopefully stamina improves, can only be active for about two hours before needing to rest

• Like 1

yeah, numbness is weird... but as long as the bottom of your foot can tell you where the ground is, anything between there and your naughty bits is okay to have interrupted :)

my left thigh has a weird numb patch, that sometimes feels normal, and rarely (thankfully) sends signal akin to being repeatedly stabbed with something rather sharp

and the top of my right foot is permanently strange after i broke one of my midfoot bones and needed several screws until it knitted, but the cut to get them in there must have twanged a cutaneous nerve... i remember my right lower leg being impressively swollen and an obscene purple colour for close to half a year, and then rather magically it went from "zombie leg" to quite an attractive limb in a matter of only days

ah well, i ain't dead yet,,, and it never ceases to amaze me how after a while all my deficiencies are simply absorbed into awareness as the normal state of me at present

keep up the good work getting better, and don't sweat the delays, because time passes whether you fret about it or not, and eventually the new you is what you get to continue the journey

• Like 2

So, a week after my third graft, and the bandages come off for an observation

as you can see, my main scar seems to be now healing well, once they removed the staples and soaked it, the wound looked clean and definitely seems shallower

the wound on the top of my foot though seems not to be improving :( , but the next checkup is in two weeks, so we will see how it looks then

EDIT

oh, and some feeling is coming back to the skin flap (the left swollen side of the leg)
hoping that is a very good sign

YIwPIV8.jpg

Edited by TheManFromPOST
  • Like 1

I know that I'm going to burn in a special part of Hell for this, but every time I drop in here I keep thinking "Must get around to doing something with those two pork roasts sitting in the freezer"...

Went in for another checkup this morning
Doctor was very happy with how the leg has healed up, no more bandages on the leg
The wound on the foot is taking longer, but should be right in a few weeks

Then back to work

L9DlULT.jpg

• Like 1

Is someone running your shop in the meantime?

production wise, i am just a one man show

i have been closed for the last 3 months

sucks, but this has been a complicated issue, and it should not be rushed

• Like 2

Focus on the right recuperation. Do it right. Do it once.

Another pic I can look at without terror, thankyou :)

• Like 2

It is looking much better. Thank God. I hope things get back to normal soon, well, as much as they can in this kind of situation.

• Like 1

well done, tmfp

i feel for your time out; my white cells have finally returned after a considerable delay, and i am tentatively booked to do a session at work next week, for the first time in almost a year and a half 0_o

meantime, to celebrate my return to relatively competent immunity, mr 15 has given me his cold and i have been gobbing technicolour stuff... my first "illness" since well before i was "sick"; and coughing is such fun with a hernia...

• Like 2

After having my shop closed for almost 5 months, today we reopened
I thought it would be slow, as people realize that I am back
Nup
Nice and constant all through the day
So I am happy, but exhausted

• Like 5

Well done. Good that you have a faithful customer base.

Good stuff ! Of course you'd be busy. How cool is it there atm ? like a frigging hot box here :( Feb is supposed to be wet not glorious sunshine FFS

wtg, tmfp !

i've been back in the job in a part time capacity (not that i was ever full time as a gp), for a few weeks now

despite a year and a half out of the seat, it's easy from a clinical point of view, except for the 18 months of back story i need to get up to speed on regards my regulars, some of whom have had as colourful times as myself in my absence

the biggest downside is having forgotten just how much pointless documentation is required in some aspects of the job... :(

well done; enjoy !

and yes, it's surprisingly tiring to have a job after being sick, huh ? but overall, good :)