Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
TheManFromPOST

My leg and the last 2 months

Well, I have been back to work now for three days
I have had to explain about my leg to most of my customers. Which I expected
Most of them when seeing it are shocked

I did have to try to explain it to a 7yo boy , but he had trouble understanding how a tiny spider could do so much damage.
So I just assured him that I was feeling good and my leg did not hurt now

so now the fiddleback is in the frame ?

that poor bloody spider must be so over being mostly an innocent passer-by, but how many "victims" have the idea that it causes so many injuries when it is often never even seen

the original post didn't finger an arachnid

necrotising fasciitis is due to a break in your skin; a spider may be the cause, but fiddlebacks are reputed to cause indolent ulcers

the jury is out, but most people like a bad guy in any story where nasty shit happens

yeah, the spider is copping the blame

ive been tring to keep the tale simple, people accept that it was a spider, so ive been going with that

more likely it was the backbox door from an EM pinball machine

Must feel like one hell of an achievement to be back in the bizness of your business tmfp.

yeah, the spider is copping the blame

ive been tring to keep the tale simple, people accept that it was a spider, so ive been going with that

more likely it was the backbox door from an EM pinball machine

you realise you are fanning the flames of urban myth with the spider explanation ?

better for people to realise that sometimes shit happens... better for them to get a grip on mortality with reality than offer an apocryphal tale where some nasty visible creature is evil incarnate, rather than the myriad microscopic fauna that exist on every person's intact dermis, then innocently try to kill them by gatecrashing the deeper tissues when a window of opportunity opens, and there's unlimited free food and drink for a great party

people go batshit crazy being scared of all spiders, when very few are actually dangerous - that stupid ozzie youtuber who posts drivel with his screaming idiot kids as he incinerates some very handsome huntsmen in his house particularly comes to mind; i hope he is reincarnated as a cockroach in my kitchen (those fuckers i terminate with extreme prejudice, although i let them roam unmolested outside)

please don't give people reasons to be hating on arachnids

pinball door, eh ?

when i broke my foot, nearly everyone i knew went "fell off the motorbike, huh ?" and were pretty disappointed when the truth was revealed - slipped coming from the bedroom on the last stair before the landing, wearing socks and carrying an old and heavy crt monitor... which remained perfectly intact, unlike my medial cuneiform and several toes :(

Must feel like one hell of an achievement to be back in the bizness of your business tmfp.

I love getting back into routine normalness

but i have cut down my workload, only going to do 5 days a week, instead of 6

OK scruffy, I will stop blaming those lovable 8 legged black creeps :D

good luck on maintaining the effort for 5 days a week

i only presently do three sessions a week

i love being there (bureaucratic shit aside), but find that the next day i am completely knackered, and need to recharge... physically i am a year and a half out of condition, and until the hernia gets fixed, activity isn't a pleasant or really smart option :(

what's the day job there ?

what's the day job there ?

Pastrycook

for the last 3 weeks I have been doing maintenence around the place, climbing ladders was not good for me. going down to the floor, was really hard to get up

had been stressing out as I needed to pass the council health inspection so I could reopen. I was worried they would find something small that would prevent me from opening for another week. but I passed

3 hours tuesday prep work for reopening

14 hours wednesday, restarting takes a few more hours than a normal day. got home and collapsed into the couch

12 hours thursday, as I had been busier than expected the day before

12 hours friday, still busy. glad I decided not to open Saturday

last night I slept for 10 hours, but still tired today. but it is my body that is tired, the legs are (the new) normal

I am on my feet all day, maybe an hours worth of sit down time

I have a few tingles in both legs, the infected leg and the flap donor site. but this happens a few times a day

there is an issue with my heel, sometimes it hurts, but it never gets so bad i cannot walk. probably something I will have to live with

I have not found God, but I do feel blessed

life is great

Edited by TheManFromPOST
  • Like 2

I love getting back into routine normalness

but i have cut down my workload, only going to do 5 days a week, instead of 6

I reckon it's good you're taking the extra day each week. Happy days to you :)

• Like 1

my hot tip is lose wednesday, and open late on saturday

i love day on / day off, but at a pinch 3 / 1 / 2.5 / 1.5 is a roster i can live with (when i was younger and sillier)

Not sure how useful opening late on a Saturday would actually be, hmm

Not sure how useful opening late on a Saturday would actually be, hmm

Saturdays , not many customers before 11.30, then it is nonstop

just done 5 straight days, the leg is fine, the rest of the body is knackered :D

but it is good to be back in my routine

• Like 2

kick arse (with your good leg)

3 of my colleagues buggered off on holidays, and my "quiet" sessions have been pretty full on

i'm having a ball at work, but the next day i am buggered

• Like 1

..,and back in hospital I am

I had also developed diabetes

A couple of weeks ago I stubbed my big toe, it did not get better

Whole toe went black

I can now only count to 19

That sucks. Did you put lots of weight on in your inactive time?

I got the Type 2 diagnosis about 6 months ago. But probably had it for a year before that. The medication keeps my readings under 7 most of the time. Been a bit more active and dropped almost 6 kg since November though still some to go.

Have to say my feet give me plenty of trouble now but mainly in the area of numbness, sweatiness and feeling crap when I wear shoes. Got some crappy skin in areas and a few exposed cuts but no wounds that are going bad.

..,and back in hospital I am

I had also developed diabetes

A couple of weeks ago I stubbed my big toe, it did not get better

Whole toe went black

I can now only count to 19

They had to amputate?

That's annoying, going to disturb your balance for a while somewhat. i've the same problem but for a different reason, suffering Cerebellum Ataxia, it will eventually go away, caused by glandular fever all or most of last year. I had to point that out to a few people, including my doctor as it happens - a few articles around on it now but it's pretty rare so it is often dismissed as too much alcohol. There's a very good chance I drink more than I should but not to that extent.

Take care, consider a walker for a time, if you have not already. I have one, makes a big difference to getting around.

Not quite my style, but needs must sometimes :)

Cheers

Your news more than sucks TMFP, but, as per usual I state the obvious :(. I know someone who much prefers to walk around in bare feet all the time. This is a huge problem for them when they get up during the night. No lights and being half asleep

is a winner for stubbing of toes, sometimes to the extent of breaking said toes. I keep saying there's utter madness in acting like a teen when decades of time have passed since then, no matter how good one might feel.

Reality is age degrades, covered footwear will offer protection. << Either that, or go totally minimalist in home decor.

So now you have to think about what you imbibe ... I guess that will offer a new line of focus for you too. Be well please TMFP

They had to amputate?

That's annoying

i can relate. my favourite TV show wasnt on last night due to blanket coverage of some wedding.

annoying.

just kidding chris! in context, the upbeat pragmatist angle is a valid one.

P.S.

also truly sorry to hear that TMFP :(

on the bright side, one little piggy just got a promotion! :D

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

bad luck, old boy

i'm at 9 days after the hernia repair i was finally able to have

all went amazingly until i decided i couldn't avoid doing the aldi shopping trek, and pushing a few hundred bucks of groceries (that's a lot of food at aldi) seems to have provoked some secondary internal bruising; that or doing freezer gymnastics digging up frozen packets to procure the only tandoori chicken pizza on behalf of mr 15's tastes

survived my initial assault with a few days of panadol after the night in hospital (where i had a single dose of narcotics after leaving recovery), but needed some hefty drugs last night, which for me is a rare event... slowly getting better again, but it was like rewinding my recovery a week, which really distressed me as it was probably my own stupidity for feeling too good

and it hurts

get well soon, tmfp... it's been a big year (or two) for us all

best wishes

Edited by scruffy1
  • Like 2

With all my scars I now look like an extra from a zombie movie

You should put your name out there for hire. Lots more movies being made in Aus. all the time. Extra funds too ...

Back home now, but i wont get back to work for a few more weeks

I have a vacum dressing on my foot, to promote the skin to grow back faster, and a drip in my arm delivering antibiotics straight to my heart

• Like 2

keep on mending, man

back to work tomorrow for me - having time out for surgery was quite nice, but eventually i have to earn a living again, especially with the end of financial year looming and quite some income from disability insurance that was received without any tax taken out... my fiscal chickens will be coming home to roost :(

• Like 2

Good that you be back home, and as scruffy says ... " keep on mending, man ".

• Like 1