TheManFromPOST

My leg and the last 2 months

next week my leg (below the knee) will come off

diabeties caused bood flow issues in my feet, which resulted in wound on my toes

this then caused the bones to become infected

after a year of issues and a lot of antibiotics, i has been decided that the best way forward is to amputate the leg 

sucks

• Sad 3

It Surely does TMFP, don't know what to say apart from commiserations...

...Cheers... (I guess)

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

1 hour ago, TheManFromPOST said:

diabeties caused bood flow issues in my feet, which resulted in wound on my toes

after a year of issues and a lot of antibiotics, i has been decided that the best way forward is to amputate the leg 

sucks

Fuck. Yes that does suck. I sook about my health. I'm lucky really  😞

All the best mate. 

• Haha 1

Probably not much consolation at this early stage, but at least in this day and age there is some seriously cool tech available in the prosthetic field  (well, that's how I view my wheelchairs, anyway - vastly different circumstances, I know, but it's the closest I can come where encouragement is concerned).

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GTAV6 said:

Probably not much consolation at this early stage, but at least in this day and age there is some seriously cool tech available in the prosthetic field  (well, that's how I view my wheelchairs, anyway - vastly different circumstances, I know, but it's the closest I can come where encouragement is concerned).

yeah, i will look like a Terminator 🙂

20 minutes ago, TheManFromPOST said:

yeah, i will look like a Terminator 🙂

Wearing the baker's cap 🙂

👨‍🍳  <<< trend setter's unite !!

All I have just now is ..." go you good thing! "

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TheManFromPOST said:

You're taking that pretty well.  I know you're probably more of a mess than the dry typed words convey, but still...  My legs have been more of a hinderence than a help for decades, but I'd still on antidepressants about it if I lost one.

@TheManFromPOST you reacted to my last post with a " sad face ", which made me cry. I'm sorry that you've been put through this for so long now.

If your doctor/s now feel it necessary to do this, then my question is, " are they going high enough for you to be rid of the issue for good, or are they once again doing just enough for now ? "... 

Edited by eveln
Fucking spelling

11 minutes ago, eveln said:

@TheManFromPOST you reacted to my last post with a " sad face ", which made me cry. I'm sorry that you've been put through this for so long now.

If your doctor/s now feel it necessary to do this, then my question is, " are they going high enough for you to be rid of the issue for good, or are they once again doing just enough for now ? "... 

id be guessing that they can judge how much infection i am carrying by the results of the blood tests

basically once the toes go, then it is the leg, not just the foot

42 minutes ago, Cybes said:

You're taking that pretty well.  I know you're probably more of a mess than the dry typed words convey, but still...  My legs have been more of a hinderence than a help for decades, but I'd still on antidepressants about it if I lost one.

i have been in deep depression for the last 12 months

never suicidal,  but i did not enjoy weekends (id rather be working)

im also glad i never needed medication (legal or not)

Shit! pretty aggressive bug!

I near had a flap graft done back in the day, but ended up with the conventional grafting from donor sites.

Vitamin C along in combination with proanthocyanidin extract from grape seed can help promote collagen production to help with the healing process.

6 hours ago, TheManFromPOST said:

sucks

Farking sucks alright!

Bone infection, damn!

Sorry to hear it has come to this 😢

Edited by datafast69
Aggressive, not regressive :(

dang !

wrt low mood :  i decided after a year of illness that if i was to consult myself about the situation, my sage advice would have been "you might benefit from the happy pills"

so i saw my doctor, who agreed, and i tried them

and i felt better, but anything more than half of the tiniest available pill was vile... and then eventually i felt better enough to give them away

stress (which includes illness, and the consequences of that illness) increases cortisol and adrenaline, which aren't beneficial for sugar levels

if'n your leg needs a more serious trim than toes, i would be a bit miserable (that's an understatement), and my hot tip would be consider the potential benefit of antidepressants, noting it's an experiment, not a lifestyle

if you feel "better" then you win, and if you don't, there's others where that came from before you deny yourself what might be a helpful thing

whatever our choices, i sincerely wish you an uncomplicated procedure and recovery 

best wishes, mate

• Like 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 2

52 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

stress (which includes illness, and the consequences of that illness) increases cortisol and adrenaline, which aren't beneficial for sugar levels

Now he tells me 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

🙂

Just like a doctor  🙂

It's one crazy machine our body, everything interconnected - look at it this way, you will get fitted for a prosthetic and if GTAV is even half right it could be an improvement  🙂

Just attempting to cheer you up but in all seriousness if the leg is pretty much gone, which it seems to be, you are better off without it.

I've no idea what else to say, but it will work out, you'll see...

Cheers

6 hours ago, TheManFromPOST said:

id be guessing that they can judge how much infection i am carrying by the results of the blood tests

basically once the toes go, then it is the leg, not just the foot

yes, below the knee, above the knee, does it really matter once they decide it's needed ? Do you see what I'm tactlessly suggesting here ? Or is there medical reasons to  take pieces in small allotments rather than going the full hog.

I realise it would have been the best news to have been able to stop at the toes but now since they've decided you need more ...

That's not good news.

I can relate in the slightest way.  My feet have been pissing me off for 2+ years now but it's only to the point of the numbness and other "weird" feeling (esp toes) and the constant feeling that they're dipped in an acid bath.

But that aside they're in good health.  My Type 2 actually improved recently to the point of me being advised to stop taking the Daonil tablets which I gladly did.

• Like 1

below knee amputation leaves you with a functional knee joint, and enough meat below it to usefully fit a functional prosthesis, allowing close to normal mobilisation

too little trimming and you leave potentially non-viable flesh, necessitating further revision

it's a tricky balance

@ rybags - good !  daonil is a drug of old times, and best left for oldies with mild disease; it's pretty poorly regarded by anyone with current knowledge, but has some application in exceptional cases - unlike metformin it may quite commonly result in hypos or ketoacidosis

• Thanks 1

Bah!

I've been away so I read the first page and the last.............Mate, I hope this can stem the tide and you can get some up time.

Sorry about the pie jokes............

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Rybags said:

My feet have been pissing me off for 2+ years now but it's only to the point of the numbness and other "weird" feeling (esp toes) and the constant feeling that they're dipped in an acid bath.

Neuropathy.  Many things can cause it, but I have yet to hear of a cure or even an effective treatment.  25 years for me.  I am seriously over it.

bugger, dude 😞

hope all goes smoothly and your new terminator leg is awesome!

Not sure which day it is, but thinking of you . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eveln said:

Not sure which day it is, but thinking of you . 

it is tuesday

I have been released (discharged at 11.00 am, finally allowed to leave at 4.30pm) go back in 2 weeks for the amputation

13 hours ago, TheManFromPOST said:

it is tuesday

I have been released (discharged at 11.00 am, finally allowed to leave at 4.30pm) go back in 2 weeks for the amputation

two weeks huh ? okay

🙂

I'll pass thanks all the same 🙂

Best of luck mate, hopefully it sees an end to the trimming  🙂

Cheers