Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Master_Scythe

Anyone here have 'VRbox' cheap VR goggle things?

If you do:

I'm just wondering.

If you use your phone WITHOUT a VR app (so, just play a movie) how does it look?

If there is a split, do you think that would go away without the plastic divider in the middle? Or is the 'It has Two lenses' the problem?

I'm looking into making an FPV headset for some RC stuff; and as a glasses wearer, I have to get custom, to get any good :)

For what you're wanting to do, is there any benefit to mounting a second camera to provide depth perception?

Nah not really, because I don't have any (well, minimal) depth perception IRL, haha.

I went ahead and just bought one, because $5 from gumtree.

It's "Fine" but really not QUITE adequate for what I need. The magnifiers built in DID work, but even with the separator removed I could see double.

There's also something really odd about wearing them.

My normal viewing distance for a 5" phone is about 4 inches from my face.

And with the monitor just held in hand, I can do that.

Put that same monitor into a holder, with or without the lens, and I'm crosseyed.

That's OK, I'm just seeing what I can do to get away with smaller goggles when I go out flying; I'd love to afford some FatShark goggles, but, you know, glasses.

And while I can get prescription inserts, they change SO often.

ah well. Was worth a shot

It's not the divider, or the "it has two lenses problem", it's the whole arrangement.

In VR:

- Separate image for each eye

- Optical axes of each lens is parallel, and lands at the centre of the respective eye's image.

In FPV goggles:

- One wide image for both eyes

- Optical axes of each lens converge at the centre of the screen, a lot like viewing a 2D image in real life, just closer to your face.

At the very least, you could make the cardboard VR work by running your video feed through a "3D movie viewer" type app, to duplicate the image and apply the spherical distortion.

Edited by SquallStrife

It's not the divider, or the "it has two lenses problem", it's the whole arrangement.

In VR:

- Separate image for each eye

- Optical axes of each lens is parallel, and lands at the centre of the respective eye's image.

In FPV goggles:

- One wide image for both eyes

- Optical axes of each lens converge at the centre of the screen, a lot like viewing a 2D image in real life, just closer to your face.

At the very least, you could make the cardboard VR work by running your video feed through a "3D movie viewer" type app, to duplicate the image and apply the spherical distortion.

Normally in FPV, you have a separate screen for each eye.

I think as you say the problem is 2 lenses, for 1 screen.

Here's one set of goggles being torn down.

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh OK, the ones I saw had a single LCD (might have been cheap/early ones?), but that makes sense.

But for the purpose of trying to use cardboard VR as FPV gogs, then yeah, you need to either sort out what's being shown to each eye (software), or modify the gogs to converge optically on the one large image (hardware). It'll never work the way you tried it earlier.

Edited by SquallStrife

Oh OK, the ones I saw had a single LCD (might have been cheap/early ones?), but that makes sense.

But for the purpose of trying to use cardboard VR as FPV gogs, then yeah, you need to either sort out what's being shown to each eye (software), or modify the gogs to converge optically on the one large image (hardware). It'll never work the way you tried it earlier.

I figured that. But damn it was SO CLOSE to working.

I simply couldnt see about a 1cm (magnified) strip down the middle, the rest was clear as day.

Though what MY eyes see (and the plasticity my brain has developed from my condition) and what others would see, can be night and day.

I'm always hoping for a fix for my eyes, because as the Opthom said "If they ever manage to correct your corneas, the plasticity your brain has developed re-training to new glasses every quarter, will make you superhuman". The clarity I get when wearing hard contacts (can't do that for more than 15 minutes though), shows me that's bloody correct! lol

And yes the ones you saw were 'box goggles' which I have to wear because, glasses. Sad Panda.

depends on the size of your frames

i fly (fpv with micro drones) with these rather tiny goggles, and they work fine with my "normal" glasses underneath (day to day computer and mid-range lenses)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/F640-5-8G-FPV-62-inch-4-3-LCD-Screen-3D-Video-Glasses-for-RC-Drone/32785759588.html

a10756213-175-IMG_2351.JPG

Edited by scruffy1

depends on the size of your frames

i fly (fpv with micro drones) with these rather tiny goggles, and they work fine with my "normal" glasses underneath (day to day computer and mid-range lenses)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/F640-5-8G-FPV-62-inch-4-3-LCD-Screen-3D-Video-Glasses-for-RC-Drone/32785759588.html

Thats cool. For a minute there I was thinking 'Hello light bleed!'but then I noticed 'they come with a silicone face plate.

Although I already have over 8 pairs of FPV goggles trying to find one that works with my googles, I'll order these next.

Ive spent thousands on goggles and only hundreds on drones, go figure, lol.

these were ~ $100 usd

in practise i think the rubber "mask" is pointless; easier for me to sneak a look at the world over the top rim of the goggles if need be, but the mask works okay once you get your glasses tucked in nicely

you might get some interesting ideas for drones on my blog :

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3039762-consolidated-references-for-micro-fpv-drone-resources

Ah, you're not just flying micro, you're flying proper TinyWhoop! NEAT!

I'm still flying my Chinesium quality parts 5" drone until I get the crashing out of my system.

THEN I'll build my proper 5" and go from there (got a jbardwell FC, a Martian 2 SE frame, Littlebee ESC's, CADDX camera, 600mw RUSH vtx, etc). It's all still chinese stuff, but I'm moving from the cheapest money can buy, to the best chinese stuff money can buy :P

The only part thats remaining cheap will be the 2206 (2200kv) motors from Racerstar, because I can't find anyhting NEARLY as efficient. And after trying a few punch outs on various folks quads, I'm a big fan of low KV, aggressive prop angle, over moderate angle, mid KV,

Next I want to build a wicked 3" of some sort, using 2845 props, and some 1106 motors.

If by any chance you're flying DSM protocol, these are down to $60 AU.

https://www.banggood.com/Eachine-Turbine-QX70-70mm-Micro-FPV-Racing-Quadcopter-BNF-Based-On-F3-EVO-Brushed-Flight-Controller-p-1095990.html

They're junk in stock form, but an extra $5 on some 3 blade props, remove the LED, and a 450mah instead of a 600mah battery, makes these things WILD.

I youtubed them a LOT, and they're my type of 'shit, but easy to make amazing'.

Only problem is that I currently fly FlySky, so, they still want $90 for that model, and I can build a custom tinywhoop for less, thank YOU!

This might be up your alley :)

https://rotorbuilds.com/build/7085

Just something SUPER FUN to do when you have a tinywhoop that is no longer your favorite.

New frame, bigger props, take off!

What I really need to find out is what the HELL he's using for DVR\reception, that was 1 whole KM, with a super micro, with no static or multipathing, and at 1S!

Most VTX can't handle keeping a nice picture at 1S for the life of them!

*goes off to investigate*

FPV Camera 600TVL 1/4 1.8mm CMOS FPV 170 Degree Wide Angle Lens Camera PAL/NTSC 3.7-5V for RC Drone FPV Racing (85 builds) $6.99 FPV Transmitter Eachine VTX03 Super Mini 5.8G 72CH 0/25mW/50mw/200mW Switchable FPV Transmitter (319 builds) $13.99

Banggood Eachine parts?!.... ok something awesome must be happening on the goggle end. Base Station maybe?

*searches more*

Ah youtube comments reveal all!

Directional antenna (looks like a Patch when you pause the video).

But more importantly:

Bassbeats:
what receiver do you use on the quanumm googles?
-----------
Jakub B:
Clearview racing

of COURSE its a clearview.

http://team-blacksheep.com/products/product:1411

Fucking $400, TBS 'digital enhanced' analogue.

Yeah not forking that out YET. If I'm still into it in a year or so, it'll be my Christmas gift to me.

Edited by Master_Scythe

my drones are purchased as stock toys

then they are modded by flashing silverware, and then adding my own camera ... the akk ones are magic

fully acro capable - even if i'm not quite capable yetm but switchable mode using the transmitter switches mapped on a taranis, with an iRangeX multimodule

so in theory i can fly most any protocol that exists, but presently mine are all bayangtoys but the firmware is much better

i've got a set of sexy red boldclash 8520 motors coming my way to scratch build a more powerful quad - us$13.99 for the motors, and the mobo cost $4.99; the camera is under $20 aus

you're paying way too much !

have a read about silverware here, and join the fun

http://sirdomsen.diskstation.me/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=start

my drones are purchased as stock toys

then they are modded by flashing silverware, and then adding my own camera ... the akk ones are magic

fully acro capable - even if i'm not quite capable yetm but switchable mode using the transmitter switches mapped on a taranis, with an iRangeX multimodule

so in theory i can fly most any protocol that exists, but presently mine are all bayangtoys but the firmware is much better

i've got a set of sexy red boldclash 8520 motors coming my way to scratch build a more powerful quad - us$13.99 for the motors, and the mobo cost $4.99; the camera is under $20 aus

you're paying way too much !

have a read about silverware here, and join the fun

http://sirdomsen.diskstation.me/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=start

I looked into the iRangeX, really I'd only be interested if I got the new AIO Transmitter they released, and I'm yet to see range tests; though it looks comfy as hell!

Really, I'm not paying too much when i'm flying 5", there's only so cheap you can go and not have it fall out of the sky.

I built a $50 brushed quad with an AIO camera, was a cool learning tool, but was so god damn boring.

I too am still part of the 'Smash it into things' club in Acro mode, but I'm not going to learn level\horizon.

I make sure to spend at least an hour on sims before bed each night.

That 3" I'd like to build; here's an example of what id like to achieve :)

Only at 2S too :)

we don't need no steenkin' sims :D

check out what notfastenuf does with 1s brushed, tuned using silverware, and marvel !

• Like 1

we don't need no steenkin' sims :D

check out what notfastenuf does with 1s brushed, tuned using silverware, and marvel !

Tha's cool.

1S brushed is very similar to 2S brushless; damn that brushed efficiency, lol.

Do you know the specs on that?

That's also an amazing transmitter (VTX) for a micro..... and while it has no 'recovery' hes flying it KNOWING how much it'll drop in things like flips, and making it look effortless.

Skills for sure.

the reviews pan it dreadfully :(

as for the transmitter, i fly a taranis x9d+ with upgrade (hall sensor) gimbals and a multimodule, so i have access to all the programming of the taranis, plus the ability to faff as much as i like (or can safely manage) in altering the firmware and the tx tuning

gesture tuning of the pid's makes this at least as configurable as a betaflight board, but cheap as (computer) chips

you should have a good look at silverxxx's stuff (and silverAg, and nigelsheffield and notfastenuf ) on the rcgroups forums - they are all mad keen, and mad

Posted (edited)

the reviews pan it dreadfully :(

I'm not surprised, when you see pre-builts, people always expect to BNF (and that never the case).

But all the bits are there!

It has decently rated ESC's.

A good 2204 motor at a good KV for a beginner on 5".

A carbon frame with enough stretch to run 6" blades if you want to 'cruise' more than flip.

Flying Acro means the CC3D board will be fine (disble the Gyro and you should be able to run OK loop times).

Just needs an eachine 1000tvl camera for $15, a 600mw VTX, and you're set!

Edited by Master_Scythe

my next step will be 2s running 2 or 3" blades

Thats what I'm building now.

WIth Hobbyking having 4X 12A ESC's for $10, and 1104-4000kv motors for $5, plus a Flip32 for $10, I'm just speccing up an order now :)