Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
chrisg

Our Government and living in a city designed by Mr Scribble...

Long story but I'll make it short.

I'm applying for some very temporary bond assistance on the basis that it is on offer so why not ? Our estate agent actually recommended it.

However the department overseeing it is in the oddest hard to get to location and has absolutely no published guidelines but insists you attend in person. Given I am still suffering walking problems that is not the easiest thing in the world but there are a lot of helpful people out there only too willing to assist.

So I go there today, to run into another road-block caused by their lack of guidelines and will need to go back tomorrow.

I leave, a bit annoyed, and being where I live is rather asymmetrical, you can't always return the way you came, I'd checked Google maps and it SEEMED I could loop around the block and be fine...

Wrong..

The map must be out of-date, I was forced to basically get lost for ten minutes in a tangle of one-way streets before I was able to re-orient myself and get home.

I've had better days...

Cheers

Given I am still suffering walking problems that is not the easiest thing in the world but there are a lot of helpful people out there only too willing to assist.

And have you found that the most uneven footpaths are around hospitals?

:)

Actually I have noticed that TMFP although shopping centres run it a very close second. Whomsoever the civil engineers are who design the things obviously never do the shopping with a cart - slopes and steps everywhere and shopping carts do not like either

I think the only maze I have ever been in in my life is the one at Hampton Court J but this city can compete with it any time :)

Cheers

Maybe karma was dropping a subtle hint.

zimmerman.gif

Because of this Cerebellum Ataxia my Doc actually arranged a Zimmer for me Ry - hated it - my usual assist is a simple stick and when I shop find a cart STAT!!!

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

The 1-way streets can be a good idea in priciple but I got screwed over by them in Hobart a few years ago.

The 1-way streets can be a good idea in priciple but I got screwed over by them in Hobart a few years ago.

Hmm,

Don't recall a problem in Hobart but here they can be an utter nightmare - they don't really seem to have any concept of street design at all...

Cheers

Because of this Cerebellum Ataxia my Doc actually arranged a Zimmer for me Ry - hated it - my usual assist is a simple stick and when I shop find a cart STAT!!!

Cheers

they went even further for me

I was getting around the hospital on a frame with wheels and a seat

tried a walking stick, I was a bit uncoordinated with that

came home and was on crutches for two weeks

Actually I have noticed that TMFP although shopping centres run it a very close second. Whomsoever the civil engineers are who design the things obviously never do the shopping with a cart - slopes and steps everywhere and shopping carts do not like either

I think the only maze I have ever been in in my life is the one at Hampton Court J but this city can compete with it any time

Trust me on this: the trouble you've had with slopes is at least 1000 times worse in a 'chair. They have freely pivoting front wheels to let you steer with asymmetric thrust on the mains; which also means you can't maintain a straight path with ANY lateral slope. ALL footpaths are sloped to encourage water to run off - even when they're in perfect condition. Some are very heavily banked indeed.

The frames with feet suck irredeemably; those with wheels take getting used to, but are great when they aren't awful. Those with both are awful almost all of the time. ;p

I can imagine that Cybes which is why I'm a bit conflicted over using a walker. My mother seems to do fine on one in Adelaide but Perth was designed by nutcases...

Cheers

I think the only maze I have ever been in in my life is the one at Hampton Court J but this city can compete with it any time

Trust me on this: the trouble you've had with slopes is at least 1000 times worse in a 'chair. They have freely pivoting front wheels to let you steer with asymmetric thrust on the mains; which also means you can't maintain a straight path with ANY lateral slope. ALL footpaths are sloped to encourage water to run off - even when they're in perfect condition. Some are very heavily banked indeed.

The frames with feet suck irredeemably; those with wheels take getting used to, but are great when they aren't awful. Those with both are awful almost all of the time. ;p

And suddenly low speed, high torque wheelchair motors make sense....

I have someone at work who has a neck injury, and has a high-speed motor, and I was thinking "Why not just always have them?"

But low torque are smaller, lighter, and cheaper.

Edited by Master_Scythe

And suddenly low speed, high torque wheelchair motors make sense....

I have someone at work who has a neck injury, and has a high-speed motor, and I was thinking "Why not just always have them?"

But low torque are smaller, lighter, and cheaper.

I had only manual wheelchairs in mind when writing that, but it would apply equally well to powered ones I guess. I've never used one. Yet; manual 'chairs are great at wearing out shoulders - aforesaid sloped footpaths do not help in that regard.

No kidding, a whole lot of 'accessibility' stuff is next to useless - you'd almost be better off not having it, because then you wouldn't even be trying to use it. Anyone who gets a design brief for accessibility options (actually, any brief) should be forced to use their design before it's foisted on the public.

Toilets are at the very tippy top of the list; bog on one side of room, sink on other = have to use the chair to get to it = rims covered in germs; wash hands, leave -> rims put all that crud back. This is made worse when the dryer is on a side wall, so you can't reach it from the sink -> now your rims are wet as well as filthy. As are your hands within seconds of getting them dry again.

And people wonder why I have a fannypack with alcohol wipes in it.

• Like 1

The gun the "tank" or both ? :)

Yes.

Nah... Been there done that afa the gun is concerned. Too much hassle these days.

The gun the "tank" or both ? :)

Yes.

Nah... Been there done that afa the gun is concerned. Too much hassle these days.

Aint that the truth ?

Even with a carry permit I jump through hoops every six months...

Cheers

"jump through hoops"? Thought you said you had problems walking?... <insert smart-arse emojii here>

Mental hoops mate, dealing with idiot g'ment employees has that affect :)

Cheers