Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Camsie

Who Are The Best NBN Providers?

Just be aware TPG and iiNet are pretty much the same company now.

Owned by, but offer much different things, IIRC.

Since iiNet got Internode, their AGILE network for direct routing IIRC is uses exclusively by Internode and iiNet customers.

Meanwhile TPG still run their giant proxy, to my knowledge.

To most geeks, this is horrid, because we want "LIVE" internet, not Internet from a few minutes ago; however to the casual end user, this is GREAT because NBN slowdowns are MUCH less significant.

This is fairly old knowledge from the days when the merger first happened, so don't take the above as gospel.

The giant proxy isn't an issue if you connect to a VPN - that is, unless you pick a VPN provider (or set up your own) that also uses such a proxy. VPNs will also encrypt your traffic and as such, will give you better privacy and allow you to bypass geoblocking and DNS blocking (if correctly configured). Just be careful about which provider you pick, where they are based and their log policy. A mate of a mate uses ExpressVPN to watch overseas Netflix and to hide torrent traffic and I hear that they are pretty decent - they offer heaps of server locations and have a kill switch so if the VPN goes down, so does network access - this prevents inadvertent disclosure of one's true IP and location.

Anyway, I digress. In terms of ISPs, we have been with TPG for a while and got our NBN through them. We had some issues with the lines from the node and initially TPG kept trying to tell us that it was an internal wiring (read: our) problem. However, when we got rid of the internal wiring and connected the modem straight onto the network boundary, most of the problems were fixed in a reasonably timely fashion. Plus the TPG technician that came to our house was pretty knowledgeable and thankgully did not treat me like an idiot who knows nothing about technology. Finally, I have never been on hold to them for more than a few minutes - I have had some horribly long hold times with other providers. So they aren't too bad. Just be aware that if you use torrents, though (for downloading open source stuff legitimately, of course ), you may get shaped. That's where a VPN comes in handy - because all your traffic is encapsulated in encrypted packets, your ISP can't tell what it is.

Off topic, but still;

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/

Type 'Express' into that chart. They wouldn't be my first pick.

TPG haven't run the transparent proxy in years. Source: Was a TPG customer when the change happened. From what I understand talking to various reps, it was an artefact from dialup days. Not so much due to the technology, but rather the nature of web content at the time.

Don't be fooled into thinking your ISP can't tell that you're torrenting simply because you use VPN. True they can't DPI your traffic, but bandwidth usage pattern heuristics can give a pretty good indication.

Plus these budget ISPs are likely to shape you simply for flogging the connection for extended periods of time, regardless of the actual traffic type.

• Like 1

Don't be fooled into thinking your ISP can't tell that you're torrenting simply because you use VPN. True they can't DPI your traffic, but bandwidth usage pattern heuristics can give a pretty good indication.

Yes, but thanks to Windows 10's update service, every user when idle is nearly always torrenting!

Also, most legitimate ISO resources (like, say, Ubuntu) Torrent as their first port of call.

Not to mention any updates or backups over people running BTSync.

Torrenting isn't the evil here :)

I know you know this, just for the sake of discussion :P

Wasn't implying that torrenting=piracy, only that sustained heavy flogging of your connection will result in shaping on the cheapo ISPs. (Or getting kicked off in the case of Exetel! :P)

Yes, but thanks to Windows 10's update service, every user when idle is nearly always torrenting!

Also, most legitimate ISO resources (like, say, Ubuntu) Torrent as their first port of call.

Not to mention any updates or backups over people running BTSync.

Torrenting isn't the evil here :)

I know you know this, just for the sake of discussion :P

Yeah I actually prefer to use torrents for open-source software downloads (eg Linux ISOs) - when not shaped by the ISP, they are faster due to multithreading of the download and they have checksum error checking built into the download, which reduces the risk of getting corrupt files (or files altered by way of a man-in-the-middle attack). It is little wonder that MS has adopted the technology for their updates - it is a good system for many reasons.

Wasn't implying that torrenting=piracy, only that sustained heavy flogging of your connection will result in shaping on the cheapo ISPs. (Or getting kicked off in the case of Exetel! :P)

That exetel thing got blown WAY out of proportion.

I was with them at the time.

Basically the people they dumped were doing hundreds of gigabytes a day.

As you say, they can see the basic principals of what the traffic is, and if it was ALL torrent, off they went.

A little dodgy? Thats up to the user.

But as a customer of them, I knew they were a budget ISP, so I didnt expect to be able to run what is effectively an internet wide file server from my home.

Bit late to the party but if you want decent backhaul bandwidth and local support Aussie broadband seems to be getting a lot of votes on Whirlpool.

https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/residential/

Even offer a slider to customise plan size.

https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/residential/residential-internet/nbn/

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2627036

Do not get muddled with this lot

www.australiabroadband.net.au/about-us/

No idea on them.

Leaptel is also garnering a bit of positive support on whirlpool

https://leaptel.com.au/

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2569842

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2629174

I have been with Internode for yonks and am starting to look elsewhere as starting to see some congestion on my NBN fixed wireless service that seems to be related to bandwidth across Bass Strait (connection is full speed to the Launceston POI). They have also dropped the "free" access to usenet which is a bummer.

And once again they managed to cock up the Feb bill, double billing for the phone. This is due to Feb being a short month and for something like 13 years this has been an issue that they don't seem to be able to fix.

They have also dropped the "free" access to usenet which is a bummer.

ah, I'd wondered why that had stopped working. Oh well.