Sign in to follow this  
littlejacket92

HP Probook, change bios setup to native uefi boot from legacy

My HP Probook 450 G0 is hanging with logo window last week when i change the screen cable. Then test and test but got no reason why my laptop is hanging long and longer like that. I re-install window OS for several time and I got this message ( Driver_Faiture_State)I

Next, I did a google search, I make any effort to fix my laptop. I see people said that should change boot option from legacy to uefi native. I changed, and now When I open the power button, my laptop is running but got black screen. Anyone here know this case? I leave it in laptop care for fix, but it's 4 day now, and they haven't called me for the detail problem. I feel so anxious now. Thank in advance.

When you have changed from Legacy to UEFI, you will have made the PC unable to boot at all.

The fans will spin, but that's about all. Correct? No windows startup music or anything?

It sounds bad, but it's not scary.

All you'll need to do is reset the BIOS.

This does involve removing the bottom cover, and there is either a reset bios button, or pair of pins.

OR

You take the laptop battery out, open the bottom of the laptop, and find the "Button Cell" (Round shape battery, like you would find in a wrist watch), which you then also unplug.

Wait 10 minutes, then reconnect it all, and power on.

This is the most reset your computer can possibly get.

Which is good.

I manage a fleet of a few hundred HP Probook 450's.

Is there more to that Driver_Failure_State erro you haven't typed?

Did you get a photo of the error screen?

It normally means the Driver is working (the screen is on) but it's entirely incorrect \ wrong.

This happens because Windows10 does it's best effort, at guessing a driver that will "Just Work".

What you need, is to find a way to boot cleanly, possibly Safe Mode, or VGA mode, and install your computers SPECIFIC driver.

From either the HP website, or the NVIDIA\AMD\INTEL webpage, depending whos Graphics Chip you have in there.

If you can get it back to the stage where it boots, but fails at the Failure_State error, and there is no way to continue with ANY option (safe mode, etc).

You'll need to look into how to "Integrate Drivers with Windows 10 Install" so that when it 'guesses' the driver, the correct one is there.

Hope that helps!

In theory if there's no hotkey that works, if you disconnect the HDD you should be able to get in... which in some cases is way easier than geting at the coin battery.

In theory if there's no hotkey that works, if you disconnect the HDD you should be able to get in... which in some cases is way easier than geting at the coin battery.

Not in a HP probook 450 it's not.

hp-probook-450-g0-blinkende-netzteil-led

Pretty sure that's it in the top left.

hp-probook-450-g0-motherboard-721525-601

Or at least, by memory it's not.....

Hmm.... perhaps i'm wrong...

Though, I will admit, I can't see where that battery PLUG goes to..... it MIGHT be accessible behind the plastic easily enough, or not.

Been a long time since I ripped apart a G0

Edited by Master_Scythe

When you have changed from Legacy to UEFI, you will have made the PC unable to boot at all.

The fans will spin, but that's about all. Correct? No windows startup music or anything?

It sounds bad, but it's not scary.

All you'll need to do is reset the BIOS.

This does involve removing the bottom cover, and there is either a reset bios button, or pair of pins.

OR

You take the laptop battery out, open the bottom of the laptop, and find the "Button Cell" (Round shape battery, like you would find in a wrist watch), which you then also unplug.

Wait 10 minutes, then reconnect it all, and power on.

This is the most reset your computer can possibly get.

Which is good.

I manage a fleet of a few hundred HP Probook 450's.

Is there more to that Driver_Failure_State erro you haven't typed?

Did you get a photo of the error screen?

It normally means the Driver is working (the screen is on) but it's entirely incorrect \ wrong.

This happens because Windows10 does it's best effort, at guessing a driver that will "Just Work".

What you need, is to find a way to boot cleanly, possibly Safe Mode, or VGA mode, and install your computers SPECIFIC driver.

From either the HP website, or the NVIDIA\AMD\INTEL webpage, depending whos Graphics Chip you have in there.

If you can get it back to the stage where it boots, but fails at the Failure_State error, and there is no way to continue with ANY option (safe mode, etc).

You'll need to look into how to "Integrate Drivers with Windows 10 Install" so that when it 'guesses' the driver, the correct one is there.

Hope that helps!

Really it's

Error " Driver Power State Faiture" sorry i have image but i don't know how to upload here

Exactly it's the error you express above.

but the main problem here is that it turn on computer, it stop at hanging and lagging at window logo, then get no response. Cannot enter window os except for bios setup.

Can you show me how to fix this one?

If you can get into the Bios menu then you're halfway home.

There should be an option for something like UEFI or Legacy/BIOS boot. You want to put it into the BIOS mode.

If you can get into the Bios menu then you're halfway home.

There should be an option for something like UEFI or Legacy/BIOS boot. You want to put it into the BIOS mode.

The laptop center answer me that my laptop is mainboard's errors. They need two more days to fix.

I don't know. they reset bios ok. then now, it's something that make my laptop is hanging and lagging and they have n't find it out.

hope that ok.

How are they fixing it - did you drop it off at a service centre or something?

Yes, i drop it in a center for fixing laptop's problems/

I wait their job done and i can bring my laptop back.

It take a week and I don't know they can fix it or not. or the problems is too big to fix.

Pity... it'll probably be a 5 minute fix which you'll pay 30-60 minutes worth of labour for the privelage of.

• Like 1

You'd need to try to boot into safe mode:

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

Then you'd need to manually remove, and reinstall the drivers under DISPLAY ADAPTORS

c04762348.jpg

Then be sure you reinstall the correct driver, from the Manufacturers website (As i said, try HP, but also try whoever MAKES the graphics chip. If it's on-chip, INTEL, if it has a 'brand name' graphics card, then AMD\NVIDIA).

There is a chance they're correct, thats a G0, it's fairly old, and Graphics Chips in laptops often are an after-thought.

I mean, just look at the motherboard I linked above.

"Just shove the GPU in the top left.... should we cool it?... NAH" No wonder they have a hard life.

There is always the CHANCE it's a hardware fault and they're replacing the motherboard, waiting on shipping from a computer wrecker (parts seller); you just won't know till they tell ya.

• Like 1

Yeah, thanks @Master_Scythe and @Rybags I have the same on thought that it's hardware driver error. And the services center said that it's main's problem, they try to fix it.

Just because I don't know how to open my laptop. After two of you said and gave me a guide, I think that I should fix it by myself, then. I wish that I did post this thread sooner.

I will update the status of this problem as soon as i take my laptop back. If have any problem, I don't understand, can you help me? thanks.

Of course we can help!

I'm just glad you're actually here for help and not just trying to advertise your work or spam up the place.

It's just been so long since we've had a legitimate international member.

Let us know when\if you need more help!

• Like 1

Here is the Update problems of my hp probook

Bios reset is ok,

Window: Laptop hang into win logo at startup ( cannot do anything else) Driver power faiture state after done installation. ( happen many times)

Boot normally, hanging logo forever

Cannot enter safe mode because window is shutdown suddenly, safe mode error.

Laptop restart, hang logo, cannot shutdown just hanging and restarting.

cannot finish re-install window completely

Today, i will create a usb flash drive intergrate window with full driver, and hope that works.

Edited by littlejacket92

Today, i will create a usb flash drive intergrate window with full driver, and hope that works.

Good man, this is the correct step.

If that fails, try booting into a live linux USB. UBUNTU is easy.

If it can't boot either, you have a harware failure and it might be time for a new laptop.

@Master_Scythe, If I cannot do anything to fix, then buy a new laptop is my choice.
but i notice and see that when i checked system information, laptop's serial is changed. I have a question that serial changed because they reset / updated bios or they change my laptop's elements that i don't know? Do you know this case? Thanks.
here is the screenshot of two.

before
before.jpg

after

after.jpg

Edited by littlejacket92

I can't be 100% sure.

But your System Board CT is also changed.

So is the Build ID

And most importantly, the UUID.

Now, I can't be sure, but normally a UUID is calculated from 'secret maths' that is generated based on the ID numbers\serial of every piece of hardware in your system.

The fact that this has changed, along with lots of other things, suggests they've tried a new motherboard.

Even the SKU is different!

I don't believe that is your original Motherboard.

I think it's an EBAY motherboard from another country.

USUALLY the SKU of a system, even with identical Specifications, is different by Region.

To eliminate Software as the problem, try a Linux boot USB and see if you can run Ubuntu stable for a night (use it as normal).

Edited by Master_Scythe
  • Like 1

Thanks for your help.

I have just called them and asked for changed information system.

They explained to me that because my bios is error so they install other's bios into my laptop.

Ok. I will try to install ubuntu 15.04 version for my laptop. If it work then it's window's error. If no, then I should buy a new.

Sounds dodgy to me... flashing Bios isn't supposed to change those numbers, they're unique/non changing for good reason.

Edited by Rybags

They explained to me that because my bios is error so they install other's bios into my laptop.

The BIOS won't update those other numbers.

Notice how the Warranty Start Date is (well, it's missing on yours) but is 2013 on the second one?

It's a used motherboard from a 2013 laptop.

Could you imagine the business they'd lose if you could simply reflash your BIOS toextend your warranty?

They'd be bankrupt!

Flashing the BIOS should not change the asset number, that sort of stuff is bound to the motherboard.

I've done quite a few BIOS/UEFI updates to motherboards and asset numbers do not change!

The only exception I have seen is on Lenovo laptops where you can change the asset number of a motherboard to another but the tech who did it had to use special codes.

Unless they transplanted the BIOS chip of another board to yours?

Edited by Jeruselem

The unique numbers probably aren't even onboard the Bios chip. More likely on the SMC.

The unique numbers probably aren't even onboard the Bios chip. More likely on the SMC.

That makes sense. The BIOS is being re-programmable, you wouldn't store that on the BIOS.

That would allow say a replacement BIOS chip to be put and the system would still work.

@Master_Scythe
@Jeruselem
@Rybags

They said my bios ( maybe bios chip) is broken, then they run another bios ( that is belong to other computer) into my laptop.
may be someone right, when change bios chip, it change these number ( serial, sku, and UIID, maybe, i don't know)

For Ubuntu
I tried to install ubuntu desktop latest version to my hp laptop. And after restart computer to apply changes to system, it get error again.
Although I choose option for " Erase the disk and install ubuntu" but when it done the process, restart and It state the erros, and it only show Window Startup ( I think I reset all HDD for empty data) Why window remain their system on boot when I format HDD for only installing ubuntu?

It show this error, and I cannot do anything else like shutdown, power off or get no response for anything to this computer. I dont know why, Guy, if you know this, please help me, thanks.

IMG_20180127_004414.jpg

But When I chooose Try Ubuntu instead of Installing Ubuntu, I can use my laptop normally ( browsing web, copy data to usb or something) , but when i exit this mode, it show the above error and I cannot shutdown it or do anything.

Edited by littlejacket92