Sign in to follow this  
chrisg

New 'phone

Well,

On the advice of my carrier I just had an oppo CPH1719 delivered, it's on charge right now must have been completely flat, which with LiPO is probably not such a bad idea, so have to wait for it to charge up before it will boot but thus far rather impressed.

The specs go far beyond what I tend to use a phone for, send/receive and SMS 90% of the time.

Yes, I know, Chinese phone but it is likely I'll only use a fraction of it's features anyway and they get a good rep. not read a bad review yet and it was by no means expensive.

We'll see once it charges and I swap sims but liking it at the moment.

Cheers

So many of their phones look like Samsung clones.

That model number looks to translate to R11s or some other R11.

Anyway, GSM Arena has the goods. https://www.gsmarena.com/oppo_r11s-8911.php

6 inch screen, lots of pixels in screen and camera. 4 Gig Ram. Sounds almost like a computer. 64 Gig flash which is pretty huge.

8-core CPU at > 2 GHz which is good. My LG is 8 core but tops out at something pissy like 1.2 GHz which is annoying. And TBH anything over quad is overkill as it rarely seems to use over 3 cores.

3200 mAh battery which is pretty big but would need to be to keep that thing going.

Yep - if you mostly SMS and occasionally phone then it's big overkill.

But once you get into 5" and over screens, it almost becomes like a small tablet and so much more usable for 'net browsing and using actual productivity programs.

Edited by Rybags

8 core isn't meant to be like an 8 core desktop CPU. You'll get 4 'normal' CPU cores, and then 4 low power cores for doing shit with.

His appears to be that way... mine is just 8 supposedly equivalent cores as far as I can gather.

* assuming of course that his phone is the model I described earlier.

Edited by Rybags

must have been completely flat, which with LiPO is probably not such a bad idea

Cheers

Just so you know, GREAT phone!

However this bit is completely wrong.

First it'll be LiIon, not LiPo.

Also, it wont be completely flat, otherwise the charging circuit wont let it charge.

So it'll just be low.

Also, for a Lipo or a LiIon, being flat is a VERY bad idea. so it'd be a VERY bad idea to ship a flat lipo.

Supposedly the ideal for storage or initial shipping is about 60% charge - so the idea of some people that it's the manufacturers being tightarsed with only a partial charge is crap.

:) It turned out to be DOA, carrier are being very good and replacing it.

i'm having great luck this year, not...

The online spec sheet says LiPO, guess they got it wrong :)

Cheers

That's a PITA... but did you try stuff like hold power for 20 seconds, hold power with volume button etc? Though that's Android recovery type stuff and not normally necessary, but I've had to do it once or twice to my Nexus 7 when the battery went way flat.

Yeah, tried it all mate, but no go. The carrier suspects the charger but oppo use an odd version of mini usb so I had no way to check that.

Ah well, just had a call, replacement is on its way.

These things happen, I guess we have all seen DOA hardware before My strangest (so far !!) was a big 3Com switch some years ago, modular unit. The boards dealt with IPX traffic fine, but somewhere in production the IP addressing ended up reading out addresses reversed so could not be read.

I'll give that now vanished company their due, replacement boards arrived same day and worked fine.

Cheers

Should be microUSB - generally the only difference is some are OTG and some aren't but that makes no difference to charging. Not sure if any use USB 3.0 yet, I suspect that phones would just skip that and go straight to USB C.

Assuming the cord isn't tethered direct from the wall-wart you should be able to use any USB charger or even a computer - it doesn't matter if it's under spec, portable devices in fact know when they're tethered to a data capable device or just dumb charger and also draw current within their limits or limits of the charging device.

Interesting to note how big the new phones are getting. One needs to carry a bag to carry their phone ;) either that or custom make all your clothing with roomy safe pockets. Some of the phones I've just seen are almost six inches in length ffs. No more parking them in your jeans pocket that's for sure. Yeah I get it's all about mobile vid watching now rather than phone use. but really " mobile " used to mean small and easy to transport !

The annoying thing to me is that they insist on trying to make them as thin as possible which usually equates to flimsy and also means to fit the components inside just make the surface area bigger.

6mm or 9mm - I couldn't really give a toss but would way prefer something that's 85% screen to surface ratio than 70%

My mobile phone ( work issued ) is carried in my bag, never a pocket of my clothing. And that's because comparable to new-beaut models it's a brick - motorolla - easily 9mls thick

Girls usually have their phones in their bags anyway (or permanently glued to their hand)

Posted (edited)

Girls usually have their phones in their bags anyway (or permanently glued to their hand)

Yeah well this is what I mean, unless the person is into wearing clothing with roomy pockets, all the blokes that have not yet taken up the bag, will be carrying satchels too

Edited by eveln