Sign in to follow this  
Waltish

Unlocking Telstra prepay and moving the number to new providor.

Posted (edited)

I have a ZTE 4GX Buzz pre pay The sim came from a nokia prepay move was effortless.

The Buzz is Locked to Telstra Network, I want to unlock it so I can use it with an Internode

SIM to which I want to move the number from the Telstra Pre pay.

So far I have ordered the SIM and Selected the Plan, have also informed Internode that I want to

keep my old number, and told them what the number is.

Have looked around on the net, Have got the gist of activating the sim, I am confident I can unlock the

Phone and get the move number thing happening.

All good until I read that you must have the number still on to do the move... In my mind that

means I cant unlock the phone before the number is moved or the Number will be lost??

Next I wont be able to use the Internode SIM in the Phone because it will still be locked ??

I don't have a contract or a plan, when I am out of credit I buy a voucher recharge at woollies.

I suppose what I need to know is does unlocking the Phone mean I cant use my Telstra SIM

and or the Phone number that is on it ?

Have I thinked myself into a corner. is it not as I think? how would I achieve keeping the number

and unlocking the phone? Yes I am a phone noobert.

Edited by Waltish

Posted (edited)

There's different types of "lock" when you're talking modern mobile phones but generally the one you're concerned with is the carrier/network lock.

I've done 2 of my own in the past - fairly sure in both cases the code was sent in a matter of hours and cost under $10 in both cases.

The trick is to hit up eBay. Check comments and reputation of their previous sales in the same area, you'd be wanting a seller that's done numerous unlocks and is in the high 90s.

If you can't line up the ducks... just activate the new SIM using any phone that'll accept it. SIMs still have bugger-all storage space and contacts for the most part will go to the phone, the SIM will usually just have the carrier supplied stuff like msgbank, info services etc.

For Android phones there's various methods to migrate old messages, contacts etc. Personally for my last couple I've just backed up using 3rd party utility then manually copy to the target phone and use same app to import them. The app I use is Super Backup and Restore.

ed - also, be aware that your phone's model name might be only for our market so it's worth checking GSMArena and doing a general search to see if it's got AKAs.

Edited by Rybags

Posted (edited)

Once you unlock the phone you can use any SIM (assuming it fits and it's the right size) in that phone.

All prepaid phones are locked to the issuer telco.

I unlocked my spare phone (which cost me 50) but the unlock cost 50 due to the oddball phone I got.

Edited by Jeruselem

Thank you both.

I think because I am not breaking a contract that the prepay sim will still work in the phone and number

will be active for the move, just needed to hear it from others.

{:-)

The phone number is irrelevant, portability of numbers has been around for a while now.

What matters is if a phone is carrier locked then it'll generally only work with SIMs for that carrier.

But if you manage to unlock the phone first, you should be able to just swap in the new SIM once it arrives.

In the case you might have phones that use different sizes, keep the little plastic surrounds somewhere in case you need to swap it back.

Posted (edited)

I cut this sim from a standard to micro sim when I went from nokia to the ZTE buzz . :-)

If I have to cut it to nanno sim I believe that requires sanding them thinner as well as some precise cuts ... hmmm prolly order a new sim from my isp

Edited by Waltish

Micro to nano is an issue as older cards have bigger chips which are bigger than the nano sim size.

Only problem is that it will likely have hella bad reception outside of major cities, as Optus, Voda and Telstra use different 4G frequencies.

It should WORK, just not well.

Micro to nano is an issue as older cards have bigger chips which are bigger than the nano sim size.

In the guide I watched one cut did nip off the tip of the toes off one end of the chip.

It will only cost 10 buck to get them to send me another sim in the Nano format.

That is likely what I will do. Tempted to have a go but I really got my mileage out

of that sim and it's not worth being phoneless while I wait for a new sim.

If anyone is curious the guide I found

My current SIM is a cut down Micro SIM. There's barely any plastic around the edges of the chip.

There's some leeway - the chip is in the middle and only a fraction of the size even of a nano, though the bonding wires would be severed if you cut too much off.

The other important thing of course would be that once mounted it locates properly on the contacts. I think I did one in the past that was a bit marginal, fixed it up by just putting a bit of tape partly around it to serve as packing.

Only problem is that it will likely have hella bad reception outside of major cities, as Optus, Voda and Telstra use different 4G frequencies.

The phone model when you dig past the Telstra name for it is ZTE Blade Q Lux_M03

In the user manual pdf It says in 4G it supports LTE 700 1800 2600 , don't really know

if that means it will pick up all the carriers,

Internode my new mobile provider is a reseller for Optus, I hope they have good coverage up here.

Phone only has to do the job while I learn about this Phone or that phone, and if I wait a bit there

might be some prices drops as new models come in.

Cheers Master_Scythe

There's some leeway - the chip is in the middle and only a fraction of the size even of a nano, though the bonding wires would be severed if you cut too much off.

The other important thing of course would be that once mounted it locates properly on the contacts. I think I did one in the past that was a bit marginal, fixed it up by just putting a bit of tape partly around it to serve as packing.

Will only need to cut if I buy a new phone that uses nanno Was thinking about Huawei GR5 but its too much everything

including price.

The two phones I am fixated on at the moment use micro sim.

Heya Rybags

Posted (edited)

The phone model when you dig past the Telstra name for it is ZTE Blade Q Lux_M03

In the user manual pdf It says in 4G it supports LTE 700 1800 2600 , don't really know

if that means it will pick up all the carriers,

Internode my new mobile provider is a reseller for Optus, I hope they have good coverage up here.

Phone only has to do the job while I learn about this Phone or that phone, and if I wait a bit there

might be some prices drops as new models come in.

Cheers Master_Scythe

Lower frequencies travel further and penetrate more things.

http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/mobile_phone_frequencies

That chart is accurate, but misleading.

For example, Telstra have equipped their fringe towers with 700mhz, resulting in long range coverage.

Optus have used 700mhz to provide "4G plus" extra speeds.

It looks like you'll be mostly OK in 4G areas, only catch will be 3G when you're outside cities or wanting to make calls.

I'll be that handset uses 3G 850MHz (B5, Telstra)

And you'll now be on 3G 900MHz (B8, Optus)

I'm not saying it won't work, I just wanted you to be aware that if you're going for a long drive and need your phone to work for things other than 000, then you may want to take a backup or a prepaid sim for Telstra with you. :)

If you're still deciding on phone, and $300 is too much (as said by your GR5 being too expensive) can I suggest you look at a Nokia 3?

(If $300ish isn't too expensive, Nokia 6 is a HUGE jump)

You can even buy them locally for suport; https://www.harveynorman.com.au/nokia-3-16gb-matte-black.html

I'm quite the fan because they come with vanilla Android (N, which isn't too bad) and still go through the nokia stress testing.

The only low spec is the 2GB of ram, but Android N handles that quite well, and unless you're a app-jumper, my phone has 3GB of ram and I can have 11+ tabs open, listening to music, and chatting in a messaging app and not have forced reloads, which is good!

So if its just a phone, a camera, and a 'quick internet lookup' tool, then 2GB RAM won't be a downside.

I take all that back, splurge on a Nokia 5.

$229 at Kogan (support is slow from Kogan, but they've been reliable even for warranty, for me).

Or

$287 at JB (https://www.jbhifi.com.au/phones/Outright-Mobile-Handsets/nokia/nokia-5-black/460502/)

If $300ish isn't too expensive, Nokia 6 is a HUGE jump

Still aim for it.

I'm looking at getting my parents Nokia 1's as their next phone.

EDIT:

Or even cheaper if you're moving to Vodafone\ a reseller (kogan)!

https://www.target.com.au/p/vodafone-nokia-3-4g-prepaid-mobile-phone/61009134?utm_term=61009134&utm_content=vodafone-nokia-3-4g-prepaid-mobile-phone&utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant-site&utm_campaign=merchant-site&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI54_M0aXb2QIVRoePCh2PlQETEAQYASABEgJoj_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPyW3dOl29kCFUIklgod1I4A0w

I don't think Voda actually lock their phones.....

EDIT AGAIN:

Yes they do.

If you purchased your device outright to use with a prepaid service, there'll be a fee to unlock it from the Vodafone network.
If you’ve had your device for less than 6 months there’s a $50 unlocking fee.
If you’ve had your device for over 6 months there’s a $25 unlocking fee.
Edited by Master_Scythe

Haha Well anyway I was waiting till could

Post some news.

So turns out I was just being a worry wort.

Was too easy,like every one said get the imei number etc etc

It worked just fine and by next morning,

the number had migrated.

What I am happy about is I had

received a micro SIM to suit the unlocked ZTE 4GX Buzz,

Today at the post office shop in Mossman FNQ I saw on sale Huawei Y7 for $199

And the Huawei gr5 2017 for $299 but only the black ones in both cases you're only black on the face but there's a greyish colour on the back.

Of course I bought the gr5 what else could I do but it takes a Nano SIM I successfully cut a micro SIM down into a Nano SIM and sand it for the precise fit in the little sliding tray and verily verily unto thee I say I'm posting this on that GR5 2017 while saved myself ten bucks but it was a bit of a risk.

It was more that I really wanted to start you sing the new beastie so far I like it

am fussing about with the settings and there are many of them.

Cheers

Posted (edited)

He he he , Yeh was a lot of kewl violence them the

Stick man stuff was brilliant.

https://youtu.be/MdzHpr-QZhw

Hard to say who was the original the meme was prolific.

Edited by Waltish