mrbeanhq

Alittle question about Dodo

You just quoted your own post.

I had their dialup for a while, I guess that was probably around 2002-2004 before I got broadband. Utter shite is one description that comes to mind.

Previous to that I'd been buying Optus prepaids which was an OK service but not cheap and had a "TPG niterider" free account that had limitless access from something like 12-7am and wasn't too bad either.

My understanding is that Dodo was and is mostly a reseller of excess capacity of other's networks. In other words, you're a customer who essentially gets the scraps and if the big pipe gets busy you're the first ones who know about it. With dialup of course I'd assume that they probably had some of their own infrastructure at the front end but probably not much beyond that.

Their service was also so poor that when I finally severed ties and went to another carrier (I think I did a TPG dialup plan in the interim before I got ADSL), the Dodo terminate service webpage didn't work, just went to a dead link or something and when I phoned their support line to get the account cancelled I had trouble there.

In the end I had to go to the TIO to get them to terminate the service (that I'd not used for 2 months by that stage), and to chase up getting my money refunded.

Since then I've had questions like "Why is my internet slow?"

The quick and easy response question is "Who's your ISP" and if they answer "Dodo" then I just tell them "Well, there's ya problem".

Posted (edited)

I had a friend who used them because they were cheap, but well ... getting them to stopping billing you when you explicitly disconnected them? Yes, don't bother.

And their help desk was run by part time students apparently ...

Edited by Jeruselem

Posted (edited)

I did a little research, seems with aquisitions and mergers they're now part of a billion dollar empire.

Still, I'd not touch them with a barge pole. They're a classic example of "You get what you pay for".

It seems their equivalent unlimited service with phone rental would probably come in $20 a month less than I'm paying now, but I imagine the average speed would plummet and reliability would be worse.

Edited by Rybags

Not really much of a spread in those numbers. Though only surveyed 2,000 which is a pretty small pool of users.

I received your average spam email today from PC Tech. It was an advertisement for Dodo bundled broadband. I can only speak for about 20 personal friends who have used Dodo broadband and lived to regret it (and that's ALL my friends who I know have used Dodo). I have my own personal horror story but the husband got us out of the contract on the grounds that the service provided was not what was advertised. So...the question is, have you had a good experience with Dodo and will I get banned for this? ;)

anyone else here? please help me

I don't think anyone around here has ever been banned for asking for honest opinion about some particular goods/service/deliverer. I've heard bad things when I've looked at Dodo as well, although personally never had any experiences.

Welcome aboard. Please keep asking questions and giving us opinions. We love opinions. Usually with a nice butter sauce... :P

Never used them myself but a couple of my IT support customers did and in both cases completely useless sods who should not be allowed to operate at all.

One customer was the usual data speed way below connection speed (ADSL connection) and frequent disconnects. When the customer had a line fault it was almost impossible to get them to report it to Telstra (who owned the copper phone line).

The other was an upgrade from an old Dodo 256/64 plan to a 1500/256 plan (ADSL again) and they billed the customer for the upgrade but speed stayed the same. DSL sync was at 20Mbit as the customer was within 500 metres of the exchange.

Never got this sorted with Dodo as FTTP became available so customer went with Telstra because they had a "good deal". Also took a lot of hassle to stop Dodo billing for a cancelled connection.

Stay away from them there are much much better RSPs out there

:)

I've never used them and never would, some customers have tried them and left in a hurry.

It's a pity I quite like the guys there but very unconvinced they actually know what they are doing and their customer support is abysmal.

There was once a rumour they were nothing but a money laundering operation for the Russian Mafia - I've no evidence of that but somehow it would not surprise me.

I'd stay away - you get what you pay for. I've been with iinet for over a decade now after "adventures" with T$ and Optus, never get any problems of note and the TPG "merger" seems to have made no difference and their support is great.

We all have our biases and for some people T$ is the only option and I've known the iinet guys since they started so I'd best declare that but having once rescued and recovered an ISP operation-Chariot - I can't fault the way ii do business and it shows in their membership numbers - very few ever leave.

Cheers

I remember those irritating commercials from when I used to watch tv. I reckon they helped cure me of my need for commercial tv. so, kudos is due there

• Like 1

From having multiple clients who fell into their advertising trap I'll add another "For The Love Of God And Your Sanity, Do Not Go With Dodo".

The "best" example I can personally give you is a home client who had to have their supplied ADSL2 modem replaced twice within 3 weeks to get an erratic data connection. Then had to get it replaced the third time a few weeks later to be able to (barely) get a working Fetch TV service, that still coughs during peak hours.

This kicked off two years ago and she still gets Fetch and raw data glitches, and multiple calls to their Support and Billing departments whilst this first started and ongoing has left us both swinging between homicidal and suicidal.

Gawd knows what their NBN services are like, no-one I know or deal with has had the... "pleasure?" of singing up with them yet.

So as far as their advertising jingle goes, I fixed it from "Dodo, Dodo, Internet That Flies!" to Doo-Doo, Doo-Doo, Internet With Flies...".

• Like 1

I'd say that they are crap, but wouldn't want to drag this conversation down into the gutter.

• Like 1

when i was first getting broadband i researched obsessively. comparison sites, reviews, whingepool, whitepapers, word of mouth...

and yeah, no disrespect to anyone who was burnt by them because it can happen for many reasons no matter how clued up you are, but everything about Dodo screamed this is a turkey!

more than anything else it was the too-good-to-be-true marketing contrasted with all the information they didnt provide about themselves. their high rotation ads with a CGI children's mascot front and centre seemed like an answer to the question "What is the best way for a sub-par ISP to fleece the most noobs?"

although it is funny to think of people leaving telstra for dodo.

download-1.jpg

more than anything else it was the too-good-to-be-true marketing contrasted with all the information they didnt provide about themselves. their high rotation ads with a CGI children's mascot front and centre seemed like an answer to the question "What is the best way for a sub-par ISP to fleece the most noobs?"

download-1.jpg

It's not like all of that advertising money could have been spent on a better product either..

I'd say that they are crap, but wouldn't want to drag this conversation down into the gutter.

The minute Dodo was mentioned it wasn't so much as in the gutter, but the sewer :)

• Like 1

I received your average spam email today from PC Tech. It was an advertisement for Dodo bundled broadband. I can only speak for about 20 personal friends who have used Dodo broadband and lived to regret it (and that's ALL my friends who I know have used Dodo). I have my own personal horror story but the husband got us out of the contract on the grounds that the service provided was not what was advertised. So...the question is, have you had a good experience with Dodo and will I get banned for this? ;)

anyone else here? please help me

I've seen some good reports from friends about the mobile phone plans, but never about their internet.

It's not like all of that advertising money could have been spent on a better product either..

its like when a chocolate bar maker sneakily lowers the size of the bar while funneling a large part of those savings into more advertising. its profitable and sustainable up to a point. seems like dodo are a company in search of the limit.

and then comes the day when a company goes too far and the board is faced with a conundrum, should we maximise our spend on trying to fix what is broken with only a 50% chance of success, or should we blow our wad on even more marketing pizazz as we ride this thing into the ground with 100% chance that everyone gets a yacht? lol

It's actually in economic theory - you can apply a formula to estimate market penetration of a product or service. The advertising has as much if not more effect than other factors like goodwill, R&D unit cost and perceived quality of the goods.

which goes to demonstrate that the majority of consumers are either gullible, or stupid, or possibly both

between no tv, and ad-blockers on every device, i am amazed why people tolerate advertising

it's pretty easy to avoid it; far easier than ignoring it

fuckin' right !

• Like 1

its why i havent been able to tolerate commercial radio for decades. i really dont know how people do it. and i pity those in workplaces where a radio blares all day, although i suppose most people are quite content to let marketeers shit down their ear holes at regular intervals.

radio ads are way more obnoxious to me than any TV ad or web popup.

Radio doesn't do much for me, end of.

Manic wanker DJs on commercial, JJJ is somewhat the same, though probably more towards bimbo and their music choices are becoming questionable.

What's the alternative? The likes of ABC Classic have announcers that sound like they're commentating a funeral and the music is aimed at the over 70s crowd.

locally, east side radio, and radio northern beaches do a great job

minimal advertising, enthusiastic presenters with eclectic tastes... well worth the time

they're my go to option in the car (when they haven't gone missing courtesy of the ancient subaru's fucked up radio tuning weirdness dropping presets all too frequently)

lucky for me i am still grooving to pandora (thanks, opera vpn), but american ads make ours seem sane

Posted (edited)

its why i havent been able to tolerate commercial radio for decades. i really dont know how people do it. and i pity those in workplaces where a radio blares all day, although i suppose most people are quite content to let marketeers shit down their ear holes at regular intervals.

radio ads are way more obnoxious to me than any TV ad or web popup.

Regional radio is a little less intense re adverts, so far. I listen to it on the way into work. It takes at the most twenty minutes, I get the news, weather and some banal chatter from the hosts.

On the way home it's Mick Molloy and Jane Kennedy, again with banal chatter, with some comedy moments and music thrown in. Turning on the tv was like a barrage of adverts. never ending, iirc.

TV function spoilt any movie or serial production with it's incessant need to break the moments with overly loud and intense adverts. It was horrible for the eyes and the ears, totally horrible.

Edited by eveln

well we're all aware that TV is dying a slow death. to survive, they need more and more of whats been killing them. back in the day there was around six 3min ad breaks evenly spaced across an hour. but these days 4 min breaks are not uncommon, and they will air an 80min movie with 60min of dross peppered through it. yeah fuck that.

but TV has that wonderful thing called the mute button. many ads are somewhat visually appealing and i can see when its time to unmute, or i can just go and do something else for a few minutes. not really possible with radio. the only time i would consider having it on is for background entertainment while i am moving around, but the moment ive got my hands full doing something and shitty ads start? it hurts. it hurts deep down in my soul.