Sign in to follow this  
krovikan8472

Upgrading RAM, keep Dual Channel?

Just after some opinions.

I currently have 4x4GB DDR3 and want to upgrade RAM (I know its overpriced atm). I was originally thinking to get 2x8GB to replace 2 of the 4GB sticks. But recently I thought, why not just buy a 16GB to replace 1 4GB stick (so I will net an additional 4GB for about the same cost).

I had a quick look and most benchmarks actually show negligible difference in single vs dual channel set-ups and the fps in some games was actually slightly higher in single channel config.

I mainly game and dont do any video editing and like to leave games running in background. Since I temporally share the comp with my wife, Chrome and Firefox are usually also running eating up all my RAM. I recently had to turn pagefile back on!

Thanks,

Krovikan

Posted (edited)

I have a laptop with 16GB DDR4 and well 16GB is a lot of RAM. I think your RAM issue is more with leaking memory in the browsers than real RAM usage.

I'd just leave things as they are unless you can pick up some DDR3 at higher speeds at a good price. You didn't say what your DDR3 runs at.

As for gaming, the GPU is a bigger factor.

Edited by Jeruselem

I would say install MSI Afterburner, and get it to monitor FPS, VRAM, and RAM usage while in game. Then you can see whether or not it is a problem with RAM, and you can go from there.

Dual channel will often still work in asymetrical mode anyway. The benchmark difference is usually in the order of 1-3% and the real-world usually less.

The benefits of 24 or 28 Gig above 16 would outweigh the downfalls. If paging becomes necessary then the hit can be way more.

I run 24 Gig consisting of a pair of fast 4s and slower 8s. I chose to sacrifice a bit of speed for the benefit of more room for cache and less chance of paging.

Posted (edited)

you have 16g ram so unless your os is a mess with crap in the background adding more will make no difference at all to games as the games themselves only need ~8g other than to potentially make it slower if its not running the same speed

page file should always be on anyway

single channel drops my cpu performance in game over 20%

fallout4%20cpu%20vs%20ram.png

Arma%20III%20cpu%20vs%20ram.png

the reason most reviews show no performance drop from slower ram or single channel is that there gpu bottlnecked like this game

Rainbow%20Six%20Siege%20cpu%20vs%20ram.p

here is a test somebody ran with two vs 3 sticks

http://www.overclock.net/forum/18051-memory/1611359-3770k-vs-6700k-fallout-4-arma-3-rainbow-six-siege-core-cache-memory-scaling-ddr3-1600c11-2133c9-ddr4-2133c15-3000c12-4000c17.html

2600K @ 4.0Ghz

8GB Dual
Avg 110.2
Min 82.9
Max 141.5

12GB Single
Avg 102.4
Min 67.3
Max 126.8

12GB Mixed (I think. I shuffled the CPU fan and used the slot beneath as I believe this is required for mixed mode as per intel site)
Avg 101.0
Min 72.5
Max 128.1

Edited by Dasa

Thanks for the info. I didn't consider the single/dual channel affecting the CPU itself and the tests I saw showed only a small difference, but the more, the better.

Also, Super Hero, my OS is pretty 'tidy', however, both Chrome and Firefox can each easily get many GB (highest I've seen is 6GB for Chrome itself) and some games (like GTA V) like to use over 12GB of RAM causing the game to crash once its minimised and no longer the priority (Windows closing it, not the game). As I mentioned, I usually have Chrome and Firefox running as the computer is shared and it is far easier to have 2 browsers than it is to constantly log in/out of chrome/google.

Thanks Again

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the info. I didn't consider the single/dual channel affecting the CPU itself and the tests I saw showed only a small difference, but the more, the better.

Also, Super Hero, my OS is pretty 'tidy', however, both Chrome and Firefox can each easily get many GB (highest I've seen is 6GB for Chrome itself) and some games (like GTA V) like to use over 12GB of RAM causing the game to crash once its minimised and no longer the priority (Windows closing it, not the game). As I mentioned, I usually have Chrome and Firefox running as the computer is shared and it is far easier to have 2 browsers than it is to constantly log in/out of chrome/google.

Thanks Again

I spent ages trying to find what on earth the "Super Hero" OS was, hehe, then I realised you were speaking to someone.

That's his custom title for being a bloody legend :P His Name's Dasa.

There are ways for both Firefox and Chrome to have max memory limits applied, so rather than having to swap out other tasks, it'll just reload the tabs you dont look at often.

Also, consider moving to Waterfox (C++ compiled Firefox) and Chromium (The spyware-free, original, version of Chrome).

More interestingly, nothing should crash at all even when you're out of ram, it should just start swapping to disk, which is painful slow, but shouldn't cause crashes.

Unless you have virtual memory turned off?

ps. Welcome! You're new and a genuine user\not a spammer!

Hang around talk some IT, talk some trash, just post anything on your mind :)

And don't worry if a few of us seem 'harsh' we've all been 'hanging out' for about 17 years together;

As such, there is a lot of what might feel like attacks on each other which is just people who know each other and can chat candidly without the sugar coating.

It's fun here though, pull up a chair; and as they saying goes, if he ever comes back online, ignore Takoma.

Edited by Master_Scythe

you can also set tabs to reload after closing the browser so you can close firefox\crome for the game then be right back where you were when you open it again

LOL. Thanks Dasa and Scythe. I will look into the settings tonight.

I am actually an old member, but my old account does not work anymore (or I cant remember the correct username or email account I used). I just got off the forums as I used to upgrade constantly (which I loved) but now it seems like a well build computer lasts too long for my liking. My current PC is 7 years old and still runs (almost) everything perfectly. I would love to invest in a new build, but the RAM will have to do for now...

My build: i7 2600k (water-cooled), 4x4GB Gskill PC12800 RAM, GTX 670, z77 extreme 4. In 7 years, the only part that died was the PSU.

Ok you've got the middle of road DDR3, there's PC3-14900 and PC3-17000.

2600K = Sandy Bridge so there's a good chance it won't get full benefit from the faster stuff.

Haven't been able to test that series a great deal, the only *bridge CPUs I have are all in laptops.

Hmm, looks like Sandy Bridge is best with PC12800 (not much to gain with faster RAM).

I guess getting bigger RAM sticks is the best upgrade.

Posted (edited)

sandy gains a lot from faster ram just like any cpu if the software overflows the cache which games do

any reviews that say ram speed makes no difference haven't tested properly

however sandy tops out at 2133 and some are unstable over 1866 especially on cheaper mb with more than two sticks of ram

i don't think its worth spending cash adding more ram or faster ram to a sandy system that already has 16g when that old mb could crap out

Edited by Dasa

RAM prices are bit much at the moment, unless you live in China next to a RAM factory that is.