heymargaux

Thoughts About Dog E-Fence

Posted (edited)

Are there any pet owners here? I want to know your thought about underground dog fence is this product way better than a traditional wood gate. My Pomeranian keeps on sneaking out in the backyard and I am worried about his safety.

Edited by heymargaux

I've never heard of that. It's... interesting.

I wonder if it would work for my cat...

There don't seem to be many Aussie companies doing them yet.

First I've heard of it.

Seems the wiki article has a bit of useful info and YouTube has plenty of videos https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_fence

As the wiki article says won't work if the animal is excited in some way, they will just charge through the pain and out past the "fence". Also of course won't stop someone else's dog coming in to your yard to have a go at your pet or to crap on your lawn.

I would think best used to stop an animal getting close enough to a standard fence to jump it or dig under it.

" A mild electronic shock is delivered by an electronic collar if its warning sound is ignored. The system was first invented and patented by Richard Peck in 1973 and was held until 1990 by Invisible Fence Co, now known as Invisible Fence Inc.[1]"

Next thing you know, kids will be seen running around their yards wearing fancy neck pieces ... oh no that's right today's kids 'play' inside these days.

I thought everyone was very frowny about shock collars these days. They're still selling them, eh? Somebody enjoys baiting PETA.

• Like 1

Ohhh there there Munchkin. Settle Petal with the scary eyes ... We shock you cos we Lurve you soooo

A better system would be a collar that goes around the nutsack of the owner and delivers a shock when unsupervised pets stray to where they don't belong.

• Like 2

... and if the owner is without a nutsack ? ... nutsacks apart, I do approve your modification of the system

Maybe just do a unisex one that goes up the back door.

Maybe just do a unisex one that goes up the back door.

the doggie door ?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I dunno, it seems kinda barbaric. On the other hand, I do quite like the idea of irresponsible pet/child owners suffering severe and shocking consequences.

Edited by i_am_banned2

It's as barbaric s birds in cages.

Ah, I was referring to the electric shock to an owner's genitals.

... could be pretty loosely compared to what is ( Ithink ) PC behaviour in punishing a nuisance dog ie; giving it a whack on the nose with a newspaper ...* said with raised eyebrows and widened eyes *

:)

I'm actually a bit conflicted, I would like a budgie, in a large cage, I grew up with one. but there is a cat on the way and they tend not to mix well :)

Cheers

...I'm actually a bit conflicted, I would like a budgie, in a large cage, I grew up with one...

Grew up in a cage? Yeah, that'd probably account for being conflicted...

...I'm actually a bit conflicted, I would like a budgie, in a large cage, I grew up with one...

Grew up in a cage? Yeah, that'd probably account for being conflicted...

:) Not me mate, I grew up in the wide open and later a huge city and basically the whole world I suppose but my grandparents always had a budgie, used to let it out quite often but after a fly around it would just go back to its cage - its home I suppose :)

Cheers

One of my friends has this setup.

Dog gets within 1m of fence line .... collar gives a warning beep

Dog crosses fence line .... it gets a zap

It only takes a couple of zaps for the dog to learn and then it will not go near the fence

You cannot coax the dog to do it without the collar either

I get the feeling the biggest sales go to lazy people who CBF training their animals and end up with a headfucked dog who's paranoid outside of it's allotted 30 square metres of the planet and a total pest when inside of it.

• Like 1