Sign in to follow this  
bendsc

Nuclear war - anyone ever thought about preparing for it?

Humm,

Most anything north of the equator doesn't make it down here, little thing called the equatorial divide, but the problem Australia has is the tests done here, places like Maralinga, islands off the W.A. coast and what the French did in the South Pacific. We do have a fallout problem, it probably is a factor in our increasing cancer rate, but likely not the only one.

At least we are not a nuclear nation but our territory has been used, a lot, for "testing."

Cheers

The UK didn't have land to test nukes on so Australia become their laboratory. The French has to resort to blowing up the homes of pacific islanders.

Heh,

That doesn't make it right.

The U.S. actually offered their underground test site in Nevada to the Brits but they declined because someone thought the U.S "might learn something."

Given how long the U.S had already had nukes that seemed rather unlikely and the U.S. had been hosting U.K. nuke scientists for quite a while but politicians tend to the clueless end of the spectrum.

The whole testing thing somewhat bemuses me. Russia has basically blown Novoya Zemlya in half with their dick-waving tests yet people still live there. I can say with a high degree of certainty that Israel has nukes but denies it if pushed because they keep them disassembled. They've never done a test that can be confirmed although the mysterious blast off South Africa, with whom Israel has/had good relations, may have been an Israeli trial. Remember, most nuclear scientists during the early days of nukes were Jewish and not a few emigrated to Israel.

Cheers

Yes, Australia got the wrong end of the stick with those tests. We got sharp bit.

Posted (edited)

Didn't someone come out and say that the US nuke passwords were set at "1234" for a long period of time, because no-one had the authority to change them from the default?

Ok, so the codes on the Minutemen silos were set to 00000000, for about 20years, in contradiction of an order from JFK.

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/12/for-20-years-the-nuclear-launch-code-at-us-minuteman-silos-was-00000000/

Edited by smadge1

Some country develop nuclear weapon and they don't hear anyone, just negotiate with big countries, and the world is too soft, i think they need to think hard. ( my country, vietnam, is too soft treat to China, then we lost two island to them.and now, our government try to keep that attitude, and i think we can lost country to china in the near future :D) . So I support strict talking or using violence to solve for country that still develop their nuclear weapon).

Some country develop nuclear weapon and they don't hear anyone, just negotiate with big countries, and the world is too soft, i think they need to think hard. ( my country, vietnam, is too soft treat to China, then we lost two island to them.and now, our government try to keep that attitude, and i think we can lost country to china in the near future :D) . So I support strict talking or using violence to solve for country that still develop their nuclear weapon).

Yeah it only makes sense.

I think one of the biggest issues we have at the moment (and it'll be because it's impossible to Police) is that we shouldn't ban Nuclear Programs, as a whole, and lump it into the bundle Nuclear Weapons.

People should be able to explore fission\fusion without being assumed it's for weapons.

I think one of the biggest issues we have at the moment (and it'll be because it's impossible to Police) is that we shouldn't ban Nuclear Programs, as a whole, and lump it into the bundle Nuclear Weapons.

People should be able to explore fission\fusion without being assumed it's for weapons.

Yeah, like people use gun for protect themselves. If each countries has own nuclear weapon, then i think other country will consider be carefully before going to nuclear war. And, your opinion is right, thought. like drug, beside causing addictive, they also help for health. ( losing hurt, maybe).

(correct me if i'm wrong, thanks)

Yeah, like people use gun for protect themselves. If each countries has own nuclear weapon, then i think other country will consider be carefully before going to nuclear war. And, your opinion is right, thought. like drug, beside causing addictive, they also help for health. ( losing hurt, maybe).

Good Lord, you are actually in favor of nuclear proliferation !?!

That almost guarantees an eventual nuclear spasm, it is far more sensible to reduce and eventually get rid of the things before we exterminate ourselves.

I have no idea who you are or where you are but your thinking is dangerously warped.

Cheers

Posted (edited)

Good Lord, you are actually in favor of nuclear proliferation !?!

That almost guarantees an eventual nuclear spasm, it is far more sensible to reduce and eventually get rid of the things before we exterminate ourselves.

I have no idea who you are or where you are but your thinking is dangerously warped.

Cheers

I think there's a bit lost in translation.

He was agreeing wth me, where I was saying;

weapons = no

research = ok

And the issue I raised, being externally, how on earth do you tell what this is used for?

EDIT: re reading, no you're right. He says if each country had it's own... Yeah, nope, can't agree to that!

Edited by Master_Scythe

Posted (edited)

It helps to have a shelter just in case you happen to be in a radiation zone that is outside the blast zone. If you're in the blast zone you're dead no matter what.

As long as you have a basement or double brick house or better you can survive the 2 weeks or so of dangerous radiation outside until it dissipates. Having enough food and water is the kicker but we finally have our own house and enough stores to last a month (emergency advice tends to be for 3-6 days).

If I really tried I could fit enough stores in here to last 6 months or a year.

Australia is unlikely to be a target anyway. We have few high value locations, and our military is too small for us to be a useful terror target. We're mostly insignificant.

Edited by Kothos