Sign in to follow this  
eveln

Smells.

Bloody love the smell of hot choccy cake,or bread or roasts, or bacon or onion or geez there's sooo many food smells that can bring me undone in the best way it would take forever to mention them all.

Freshly mown lawn given without the added fuel of a powered mower.

The smell of rain coming after an overly long wait for its approach.

As for those smells I don't like, again this list is pretty damn long. Some that make me literally physically react are perfumes and colognes and heavy-duty adhesive type stuffs etc.

The smell of ciggie smoke is another that makes me almost want to heave ... and after approx. 3 decades as a smoker I'm still startled by this reaction.

So many strong cleaning products give me a queezy stomach and dry out my nasal passage something fierce .

I always pick up on the smell of paint fumes coming through the air-con at work, I'm just glad a lot of the new paints have toned back on the smell factor.

Don't like hanging around in garages or old book stores or hardware type places either, I find my airways start to close up and I'm looking for a ventilin or some such.

It really pisses me off that people still think they can burn their garden rubbish in their back yards here. I mean it's not like their nearest neighbour is over in the far reaches of the next paddock :\

• Like 1

Add freshly cooked cinnamon donuts to the list.

And for some reason, some chemical smells aren't bad in small doses, ie automotive hydrocarbon based types (suppose it is organic to begin with).

getting off the train in Glen Waverly and heading to work there was a place that did the donuts first thing. Man their pineapple donuts ... i've never come across the same again and that was waay back last century.

:)

I love the smell of old books, then again I'm sort of surrounded by them :)

Hickory smoking on the bbq over charcoal is hard to beat, so is the smell of the pumpkin soup I cooked tonight :)

Cheers

I just walked into a brand new classroom building, and the "new classroom" smell is overwhelming! The teachers and kids love it.

At work I park under peppercorn trees. While they make a mess of the car, the nice bit is on a wet day, the spicy smell of peppercorns and broken leaves that land in the air vent intake above the bonnet - like having air freshener in the car every drive home.

Bad smells - walking past hairdressers and nail salons in the local westfield.

I just walked into a brand new classroom building, and the "new classroom" smell is overwhelming! The teachers and kids love it.

I worked in schools for like 5 years too.... That smell is carpet glue.

Not joking.

I'm smelling traces of smoke outside all day because all dry stuff in the bush is going up in flames.

Bad smell - dry cleaners - I don't know HTF anyone could work there.

I haven't been in to a dry cleaners in decades so I've no clue 'bout that. Walking into shops with cut price shoes, bags etc. is another big nonononono. Haven't been into a hair / nail salon in a long time either.

It boggles my mind that people cover their scalps in something that smells as toxic as those hair dyes do.

... what one can deduce here is that I may get about in in scruffy clothes with bad nails and natural coloured but nicely cut hair

You don't need to go in - just in the general vicinity is enough.

It boggles my mind that people cover their scalps in something that smells as toxic as those hair dyes do.

Chemical handling etc is actually a significant part of the hairdressing course. Ye makes you wonder.

From the

Hairdressing Module - Department of Education and Training Victoria
Hazardous Substances and Dangerous Goods

In the hairdressing industry you may work daily with hazardous substances and dangerous goods such as hair dyes, hair spray, perm solutions and cleaning products.

Dermatitis of the hands, latex sensitivity and breathing problems caused by breathing in fumes from sprays and solutions can be a problem in the industry.

There is more but you get the idea.

Yeah thanks for that aliali. I've a friend in the industry, she has been for many decades ... well hair and body stuffs generally. Last time we got together she commented on how her hands were in worse condition than mine.

Mine haves spent years in the restaurant biz during their life, but I guess I've shied away from areas of work that could cause lots of damage ... also I'm pretty good about wearing protective gloves