chrisg

School shoting in Texas

Posted (edited)

Oh no, not another one...

The reports are a bit confused but seems like 10 dead, several in hospital, some critical, the culprit in custody.

Just when is the U.S. going to address its gun issue ?

Trumps ridiculous proposal to arm teachers doesn't exactly help, the again I wonder if dear Donald would know one end of a gun from the other these days.

A mass amnesty to return guns is probably not going to work in the U.S the way it did, to a degree, here, they have a gun culture based upon the obsolete amendment and not just the NRA but the massive gun production industry wants to just accept that guns kill people now and again - what a load of rubbish.

I can accept guns in the military, rather uncomfortable about cops having them, most of them don't really understand guns at all.

Security guards, no way, never met one with much in the way of intelligence.

I get somewhat conflicted because I do own guns, but only for paper punching really and little of that these days, most of mine are not even in Australia any more and never will be.

But America is not Australia, never will be, when an American casually chucks a .38 in the glove box to go shopping, something I've seen a couple of times, you know you are not in a sane society. Being English by birth I'm familiar with a society that has very few guns in it, although that has weakened over the years.

I can even understand the interest in guns, I used to spend more time cleaning and modding mine than I did firing them, there's an analogy somewhere there to how we are with computers, but computers rarely kill people.

But school shootings are out of control, America needs to tighten up its laws so a kid can't "borrow" his dad's legally owned gun and go kill his classmates, but I doubt they will until or if there are some radical changes in Washington. Even then it will just cause uproar in many if not most States because the U.S. is not as "United" as its' name suggests.

Impossible situation and getting worse, no idea without being draconian of how to resolve it.

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

Another " quiet " kid apparently.

Thing is, even if gun laws are changed and 'corrected' if a person wants to kill / maim bad enough they usually do. Look at what happened in Margarate River here in Aus. Look at what happened in Cairns a few years back, and that one had no gun used.

Posted (edited)

The shooter's dad was supporter of the NRA. Needless to say the position of his kids about guns.

Edited by Jeruselem

Posted (edited)

I have no idea how in the U.S you could do it but in my view the NRA should be disbanded. Americans need to wake up to the fact that guns DO kill innocent people.

Apparently according to a news article I read there have been 22 school shootings in the U.S. this year alone. That seems far more than have been reported but I don't find it very surprising, they really need to have a very hard look at their gun laws and to hell with the NRA and the gun manufacturers.

Whilst they are about it they might want to have a look at their education system as well, something is radically wrong and it probably is not the teachers, more the system itself.

School, especially high school, can be a traumatic period in a young persons life, personally I didn't find it so, but as a classic over-achiever I probably wouldn't but I had plenty of occasions to counsel those having trouble with it.

Crazy, crazy world...

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

NRA are just the public face of the gun industry, the industry of global death.

abc online yesterday reported : A 17-year-old student armed with a shotgun and pistol has opened fire in a Texas high school, killing nine fellow students and a teacher, authorities say, in an attack similar to the massacre at a Florida high school in February.

the initial report from memory stated "the worst attack since then", but it's still early in the year

no other country on the planet is as inclined to go postal on an individual basis - jihad might be more widespread, but only the states takes out their own for no apparent reason

" ... but only the states takes out their own for no apparent reason"

[ very hesitantly offers a theory ] ;)

healthy individuals, of mind and body - I don't at all mean athletic fitness freaks - might be less inclined to go murderously postal on their peers. Perhaps major Governing bodies actually need to look after the food health of

their people and not their own probable monetary gain when it comes to the licencing of food regulations etc. etc.

One of the articles on this kid said he also carried some explosives ... so even if the gun laws had stopped him from getting a gun, that wouldn't actually stop him from going murderously postal ...

The specific explosive apparently was a Molotov Cocktail. Anyone can make one of those, it's just a bottle full of petrol and a rag fuse. Nasty though, was thought up as a means to destroy Nazi tanks in WWII by some Russian - the problem was it had to be tossed inside via the turret hatch usually, to kill the crew and burn up the controls. The Germans quickly learned about that and added extra machine guns to shoot anyone approaching their Panzers. Especially anyone carrying a bottle I'd imagine, which probably meant the demise of quite a few vodka loving Russians.

I'm not sure how effective one would be in the open air though, probably just be a splash of easily avoided fire - might singe your eyebrows, nothing more.

Cheers

I'm not sure how effective one would be in the open air though, probably just be a splash of easily avoided fire - might singe your eyebrows, nothing more.

Having lobbed one into a tomato crop in my pre-teen pyromaniac days, I can attest that spread a *lot* further than you think they will and set everything in the splash vigorously ablaze.

At least it was 'only' a few plants needed to end that unhealthy fascination.

lol Cybes you 'rebel ' you !

I reckon the guy could've done damage with the molotov if that was all he had,

Posted (edited)

:)

Possible Ev, I find Cybes pyro back-past somewhat amusing, never had that inclination, had to extinguish one of my brothers when he was playing with matches he stole from dad. A very individual thing I suppose.

I have a more than somewhat crazy SF friend who once told me he had one of his guys catch one and lob it back - guess that ended the party :)

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

Protecting guns is more important to them than protecting children.

Posted (edited)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-22/melbourne-hand-grenade-targets-tiba-clan-lalor/9784644

So last November in Lalor in Melbourne. Australia a hand grenade said to be of Yugoslav manufacture was used. Now, it's not our school kids apparently, but we do have the strictest gun laws around yes ?

edit: also if you read the article guns are mentioned a lot as the go to weapon ... here in the country with such strict gun laws.

"... Melbourne's north-west has been plagued by gun violence, with the armed crime squad revealing last year that almost two thirds of all non-fatal shootings in the state occur in the region."

Apparently NSW had similar issues too

Edited by eveln

In the UK, knives are the prevalent weapon, and they have similar anti-knife movements.

Also, just to throw this in the ring, but the violence is glorified by the news media, it's self-sustaining. What kid wouldn't love to go out with a legacy like this? Kill count, just like in COD, Counter-strike, etc.

Knife laws in the U.K. have always been very strict:

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives

It doesn't stop the illegal ones from sneaking in of course but you'll rarely see them in public, even in the seamier areas of the cities. The media has been making a big deal of it of late but the reality is that they are far from common to be carried in the U.K. and the cops take a very dim view of them.

We have a sort of a gun issue in Australia Ev because pre Port Aurthur our laws were somewhat lax and a lot of illegal guns still exist out there. I know a few pubs here in Perth where if I wanted a gun I'd be able to find one in no time - for a fee.

I have a legal carry permit - ex-mil thing, but I don't recall the last time I took one out of the house, in fact I'm not sure, after a recent horrendous house move, just where my permit even is.

Cheers

Posted (edited)

The UK I guess are bit different with guns, they don't want people walking around with the things.

America was founded by armed religious crazy people (the ones to nutty for the brits to handle)

Edited by Jeruselem

If you don't arm your police with anything more than a truncheon, and even now in the main that is how it is in the U.K. then keeping guns off the streets is a good idea if you want people to decide to join the police force...

The U.K. has never been much of an armed society at all, the U.S ? They hide behind the second amendment and watch far too many westerns and cop shows...

Cheers

If you don't arm your police with anything more than a truncheon, and even now in the main that is how it is in the U.K. then keeping guns off the streets is a good idea if you want people to decide to join the police force...

The U.K. has never been much of an armed society at all, the U.S ? They hide behind the second amendment and watch far too many westerns and cop shows...

Cheers

You mean movies like John Wick as well ...

Cheers

You mean movies like John Wick as well ...

:)

I don't know those, had to look them up.

Not quite my idea of relaxing viewing but then again despite my very large DVD collection I don't really watch many movies anyway.

Cheers