Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
krovikan8472

Help with router options / ideas

Hi All,

I recently moved and don't have a router atm. I am setting up iinet adsl and my area should have NBN FTTC by OCT-DEC. I plan to switch to NBN as soon as it is available.

I was thinking that maybe I could buy a crap/basic (even second hand) adsl router for now and get a decent NBN capable router later. Or maybe a decent WIFI switch with N/AC and just get a basic ADSL modem which I can then switch to a NBN capable modem at a later date.

My budget is around $150, but if someone has a good idea, I would still like to hear it.

Current devices used will be 2 WIFIAC capable phones, 1 gaming PC over Ethernet and possible streaming TV (prob over WIFI).

Thanks in advance

Try places like Salvos and the game exchange places like Revolution and Cex.

You should be looking at $5-$20 for a 4-port router that does Wifi (n) 300 mbps at the least. Considering it'll probably be replaced as part of an NBN plan that's about all you should be spending.

These days people are literally throwing out decent ADSL gear so little point buying something new.

There are routers that are dual mode (ADSL/VDSL) as well as having the VOIP port but you'll often get a VDSL one thrown in as part of a new plan anyway.

For new get a TP-Link TD-W8950N

http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=TD-W8950N&spos=3

It's pretty basic but has a Broadcom modem chipset which handles long or noisy lines better than some other chipsets.

Then as Rybags suggested get an RSP supported modem when you go FTTC, although do avoid the Netcomm NF10WV, it's very unreliable. However the Netcomm NF18ACV is supposed to be OK.

I got an ADSL2 modem/router from tplink via ebay/gumtree for something like $10, pickup.

Worked a charm as far as helping to diagnose when there's an issue with the line and when it's a modem - it meant we had two modems to flick between.

That TPlink one was the more reliable one of the pair, FWIW.

Edited by Nich...

For new get a TP-Link TD-W8950N

http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=TD-W8950N&spos=3

It's pretty basic but has a Broadcom modem chipset which handles long or noisy lines better than some other chipsets.

Then as Rybags suggested get an RSP supported modem when you go FTTC, although do avoid the Netcomm NF10WV, it's very unreliable. However the Netcomm NF18ACV is supposed to be OK.

Exactly this.