Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
msmile033

Is it time to bring it home?

Latest Qantas mishap - a passenger reported engine fire, leading to a fuel dump and emergency landing.

In this case, I'm not so interested in the particular story yet - at this stage, it's still basically hearsay. What does interest me though is the apparent large increase in mechanical problems they've had since they took their servicing overseas.

Of course, the LAMEs (Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer - pronounced lay-me) are going to say they can do it better. They're always going to say that, even when they can't. They're also going to tell you horror stories about the state of the industry in places without Australia's safety and licensing regulations. It's in their interests to get the work back, at the very least - and the bragging rights don't hurt either.

Do you think the observed increase is real, or just an artefact produced from increased activity? Do you think it's anything to worry about? Should Qantas bring their servicing back on-shore, despite the increased cost of doing their maintenance here?

Personally, I'm inclined to listen to the LAMEs in this case. Qantas' biggest advantage in their markets was their safety record. I reckon people are prepared to pay a little more for a ticket when they know they aren't going to be sent screaming to the bottom of the sea.

I do fifo with qantas.

We have regular problems with airbus A320-200 jets.

The boeing 737-800 jets are solid, always on time, always start up properly.

That aside, I think it would make us Australians feel better if our aircraft servicing was kept at home.

Edited by RenascentMisanthropy

Oh The Spam ! Spam is taking over the world !!

... back in the day it was Martians that were perceived as a potential horror ... spam. a first world problem ;)