Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
eveln

what about Mr. America ?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-06/miss-america-pageant-scraps-swimsuit-competition/9839348

This article made the news apparently cos no more swim suits to be seen, cos you know that's too sexist ... but what about the guys huh ? what do they parade around in ?

"Instead of showing off in a bathing suit, each contestant will interact with the judges to "highlight her achievements and goals in life and how she will use her talents, passion and ambition to perform the job of Miss America," the organisation said.

Ms Carlson said the evening-wear portion of the competition will also be changed to allow women to wear something other than a gown if they want.

The talent portion of the contest will remain.

"It's what comes out of their mouths that we care about," Ms Carlson said."

They have been saying this sort of thing for years

but it still ends the same

sex sells

but the real question is "Who cares?"

can anyone name last years winner with out googling it?

What a load of BS, it's beauty pageant still minus a bikini segment.

Edited by Jeruselem

And by 2020 the number of pimply, overweight entrants with a PhD will be precisely zero.

• Like 1

+1 to the other sentiments.

Just because people are trying to make less physically lucky (or lazier, for those who work for it!) feel less shit about themselves, is no reason to socially outlaw 'sexy' being a valued trait.

That'd be like socially outlawing proven achievements, for the Nobel Prize, and having to base it on peoples intentions.

"Well, you didn't cure cancer, but you wanted to, have the nobel prize"

Or base the Nobel Peace Prize on what someone else thinks you might do in the future.

Err, hang on... they already did that with Obama!

"Instead of showing off in a bathing suit, each contestant will interact with the judges to "highlight her achievements and goals in life and how she will use her talents...""

"My goal is to use my talent for leveraging my good looks and smoking hot body to garner fame, influence, and profit — watch out for me in the next swimsuit edition of Sports Illustrated"

or how about this:

"It's what comes out of their mouths that we care about," Ms Carlson said."

translation:

"In the current cultural climate, just as a fast food store like McDonald's feels tempted to tie themselves in knots presenting themselves as a healthy salad bar, in a similar act of simpering self-loathing, cognitive dissonance, and bald-faced hypocrisy, we are setting about trying to pass off our little beauty contest as a fucking TED talk."

• Like 2

They have been saying this sort of thing for years

but it still ends the same

sex sells

but the real question is "Who cares?"

can anyone name last years winner with out googling it?

Yep. It's all just a major wank that really does suck some people in to huge proportions. I mean if it didn't, then the pageants wouldn't even get off the ground would they ? Some time back one of the surf brands known for it's swimwear decided to be more modest in the female line of togs. End result being that sales slumped mightily. They did return to the time-honoured triangle bikini worn by most of us femmes as teens, and managed to get over the slump ... Think it was Billabong.

I don't see why they can't try being real sexy people instead of fake wankers with hardly a real thought between them ;) maybe then they'd garner some honest to goodness respect for their efforts.

"Instead of showing off in a bathing suit, each contestant will interact with the judges to "highlight her achievements and goals in life and how she will use her talents...""

"My goal is to use my talent for leveraging my good looks and smoking hot body to garner fame, influence, and profit — watch out for me in the next swimsuit edition of Sports Illustrated"

... or watch out for me dangling off the arm of some ( hopefully billionaire ) sugar daddy, cos you know I just don't intend to try this hard forever.

Your second post just cracked me up :D

I think every American person that identifies as a male should be so totally raging against the hypocracy of this whole " Miss America " bizness.

:)

I'm pretty certain I've never even watched it, seems sort of synthetic to me.

I have absolutely no objection to women in bikins, though, preferably with the top missing as is common on the South of France beaches where I spent a lot of time on down-time in my mis-spent youth.

However the sexiest woman I have ever seen in my life, unfortunately not one of my wives, all of whom I still love and care about, was a woman at an IT conference a few years back. She was in herself beautiful anyway but wearing a skin tight one piece that if not French was definitely inspired from there, an ankle bracelet and stunning heels and apparently nothing else, she just blew the room away.

I'm simply never unfaithful, although my wives have been known to be, but I did have a chat to this vision and sort of regret I did not take it further, all the vibes were there. A good friend pulled me aside later and asked why on earth I had not taken her to my room - simple answer, I was married. Actually when I think about it I doubt that wife would have cared anyway, but my ethics would have.

Just not my way, which can be to my detriment I suppose but loyalty is rather important to me.

Cheers

Just not my way, which can be to my detriment I suppose but loyalty is rather important to me...

Loyalty there can't be any worse than the Boss offering to pay for the flight etc to Rio for the weekend for me, in the midst of a 3-country South American training trip.

In their summer season as well, drool drool Down Boy, Down.

And even with his history of being a financial tight-arse on trip expenses he was serious about it.

Problem was I was scheduled to be over there two weeks after I got married <headdesk><headdesk><headdesk>...

Just not my way, which can be to my detriment I suppose but loyalty is rather important to me...

Loyalty there can't be any worse than the Boss offering to pay for the flight etc to Rio for the weekend for me, in the midst of a 3-country South American training trip.

In their summer season as well, drool drool Down Boy, Down.

And even with his history of being a financial tight-arse on trip expenses he was serious about it.

Problem was I was scheduled to be over there two weeks after I got married <headdesk><headdesk><headdesk>...

:)

Nothing wrong with window shopping :)

Didn't know you had gotten married - congrats :)

Cheers

Second bite at the cherry (if that's the appropriate terminology...).

And yeah, but there's a biiiiiiit of a difference between Ooooh Shopping with your nose pressed up against the glass and actually trying on the goods, isn't there?...

Second bite at the cherry (if that's the appropriate terminology...).

Excuse the belated response please, will you ? :) ... don't know how I missed it :\

Congratulations Dude !

My very best of wishes to you and Mrs merlin13.