Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

Cleaning NUC

After seeing a thread over at whirlpool about a nuc that cooked itself and noticing our office nuc had gotten a little louder i figured maybe it was time to give it a clean...

dusty.jpg

That one little gap is where the fan shroud doesn't even cover

Now that its all cleaned up hs lapped and a fresh coat from a ancient tube of arctic ceramic its peaking at 60-70c under full load with the fan running 3200-3300rpm

I may tweak the fan profile a bit now

Wow, good work on the cleanup!

That said; I was still shocked by that horrid temperature, especially after a lapping. But then I looked up our good friend 'Arctic Silver'...... (which is just crap by todays standards)

I actually can't find the w/mK of Ceramique, but I do recall "AS-5" was always considered better.

The company claims that AS-5's thermal conductivity is 8.7 W/(m·K). However, a study led by the US National Renewable Energy Laboratory found that it was only 0.94 W/(m·K).[4] The study lauded Shin-Etsu X-23-7762-S and Dow Corning TC-5022 for their better thermal performance.

Compare that to Gelid GC Extreme;

Thermal conductivity (W/mK): 8.5

(With some peer reviewed tests showing a minimum 7.0 W/mK)

Also, not electrically conductive.

That's where the heat is coming from.

after adjusting the fan profile it now runs 2100rpm idle 2500rpm load maintaining at 72c load and virtually silent

i could set it to run cooler with a higher rpm but anything under 80c is ok for this chip

i still have another nuc here maybe i will try my thermal grisly paste on it for comparison but i just felt it was unnecessary to use premium paste on a 15w part

after adjusting the fan profile it now runs 2100rpm idle 2500rpm load maintaining at 72c load and virtually silent

i could set it to run cooler with a higher rpm but anything under 80c is ok for this chip

i still have another nuc here maybe i will try my thermal grisly paste on it for comparison but i just felt it was unnecessary to use premium paste on a 15w part

Thermal Grisley is Liquid Metal isn't it?

Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut is liquid metal Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is comparable to Gelid GC Extreme

liquid metal would probably be ok since its a bare die to a copper plate but i wont go there

the other nuc hs at the dairy was clean inside its filter box and working fine so i have left it be

Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut is liquid metal Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is comparable to Gelid GC Extreme

liquid metal would probably be ok since its a bare die to a copper plate but i wont go there

the other nuc hs at the dairy was clean inside its filter box and working fine so i have left it be

Well, you've seen from my thread what happens when you mess up that compatibility....

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php/topic/59187-being-forced-to-transplant/

wow pretty bad there! Ive seen some worse but man it has to be quieter/cooler