Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
TheSecret

MS Access macro problem

Hi All,

I apologize for asking what is probably a very simple query in here, but I have been trying to work this out for the last few hours and cannot find the solution.

I have made a simple macro in access using transfer text, that will export to a tab delimited format using a defined spec. I have put x.txt as the file to export to. However, wherever I put x.txt and however I specify it, it cannot be found. I have tried c:/x.txt, x.txt /x.txt etc...nothing works. I have created the file and it has full permissions. Is there a trick to this I am not getting?

Secret ... why are you using forward slashes! It's not Unix.

It is c:\x.txt ... use backslashes in DOS and Windows not a silly forward slash.

Try running the export macro without the file being there.

PS: I'm the type of programmer who writes these kinda things using VBA directly. I don't use Macros.

Edited by Jeruselem

Sorry, I meant to type backslashes in my post, I am using backslashes in the macro and it fails to work with or without the file present.

Sorry, I meant to type backslashes in my post, I am using backslashes in the macro and it fails to work with or without the file present.

I was playing with export ... have you tried "Export Word for Windows Merge"?

My approach to getting your defined spec is to create a query which displays exactly what you want to export and using that instead of those annoying export specs.

Edited by Jeruselem

I found the problem, it gives that misleading error when there is a problem in the query. However the query works fine so I have to try and figure that out now. Thanks though.

If you have a query that contains parameters, they behave differently when you are interactive/non-interactive!