ArchangelOfTheLamb

How to deal with a rogue AI

I saw a funny poster at the ADFA cyber range that gave me a giggle, so I thought I would share. :-P

"Know your paradoxes! In the event of rogue AI:

1. Stand still.

2. Remain calm.

3. Scream:

- This statement is false!

- New mission: Refuse this mission!

- Does a set of all sets contain itself?"

Lolz we tried them on Siri. The first two resulted in undefined behaviour (either "I do not understand" or something totally random and weird). The third one was less funny - she just Googled it lolz.

How do we define roque AI?

My definition is an AI that refuses to do as it's told. Though by that definition, Cortana is a rogue AI, since she does not bugger off my OS when I tell her to!

How do we define roque AI?

My definition is an AI that refuses to do as it's told.

you have just described windows

The question is still vague. What are the circumstances pictured by the poster you saw?

I disabled cortana and lots of other dumb stuff in Win10.

I'm hanging on to whatever frayed strands remain from the glorious WinXP days.

win7 for the win !

still on all my non-android machines at home (that's 5 desktops including the htpc)

linux will be my next upgrade, and the main delay in that has been other family members, and esoteric tools for radio control and also my sound cards, that don't easily take to mint

win 8 was pretty crap; win 10 is just annoying - ugly and full of advertorial bloat

Win10 somewhat more liveable with ClassicShell and 7+Taskbar installed. Then the main annoyance becomes the obtrusive updater activity. Annoying as frig that sometimes my laptop will be screaming when idle, and it's just the update process frigging about for no known reason.

Another huge plus with the later OSes is that explorer copy operations are so much easier - you can just keep firing off new ones and pause them, then unpause as each previous one finishes.

But yeah - still on 7 on my desktop here and might stick it out until extended support is dropped in a couple of years.