Sign in to follow this  
Kothos

Why do phones have so little internal memory?

If you can buy a 128Gb microSD card for around the $60 mark retail, why does my stupid phone only have 16Gb of internal memory, shared with the O/S?

I would gladly have paid an extra $60 for a phone if I didn't have a measly 5Gb of internal space left, especially when so many apps don't let you move them over the the external storage.

Flash aint flash.

There's NOR and NAND (which is generally cheaper and slower). And you can have serial or parallel (like RAM) access. NOR flash can generally have a program run in place where removable/NAND you generally just use as a storage device.

But I somewhat agree - why not have a tablet that lets you do RAID using Class 10 microSD cards - so you could have like 40 Meg+ per second access, 64 Gig for about 40 bucks extra.

The obvious answer is that there's no money in it for them - just look at the price difference between a 16 and 32 Gig model of the same phone (esp Apple) vs what the wholesale of the storage chips would be.

There's tricks to get external storage to be usable for apps. In some cases you need to mount it as "internal" rather than storage (it'll be an option somewhere in the settings).

On my phone, I issued an ADB command sequence before using the card - first up to partition it then allow it to be "adoptable" which in essense has extended the internal storage onto the SD card.

But it causes occasional problems though I've overcome it.

• Like 1

The NRL app refused to update one time, would just hang.

From memory I just uninstalled and took the SD card offline while reinstalling.

The ADB stuff - you do it when the phone's new or freshly reset - just normal ADB shell stuff which requires the shell and relevant phone driver installed on the host.

• Like 1

What also screws you is the updates. Over time the built in and necessary apps like the browser, Gmail etc. have so many changes that the updates exceed the size of the original app (which itself is still in the system partition). So, regardless if you're running extra apps and games your free storage level will dwindle over time.

I've been shafted big time with 2 cheap and nasty devices I own. Pendo pad which claims "16 Gig" but in fact is a mere fraction of that since most of the 16 Gig is only available as general storage. And my TV dongle which is almost identical in configuration but even worse off with storage allowed for apps.

Not really - Android is useless if it doesn't have sufficient storage to run apps from. The point is that plenty of these cheap-arsed devices just claim XX Gig of storage but it's not properly configured and you can't change it.

Not really - Android is useless if it doesn't have sufficient storage to run apps from. The point is that plenty of these cheap-arsed devices just claim XX Gig of storage but it's not properly configured and you can't change it.

Apps can be a pain. I've offloaded my apps in my Windows phone to the SD card but there's always a few apps who demand to be installed on internal storage.