littlejacket92

Should we stop at a certain stage of AI development to ensure human safety?

I’m pretty sure that lots of you already know about the general 2 levels of AI: Narrow and General.

But have you heard about the 4 levels of AI? Do you think that we should stop at a certain stage of development to ensure human safety?

( To Admin: If I put it on wrong section ,please remove to right one, thanks)

TBH not sure we can, it seems inevitable with disparate projects globally.

l suppose the consolation is that nothing I've seen thus far seems aggressively anti-human but we have a bad reputation with "slaves."

I do think too many people think "Terminator" has some basis in reality - overall it's a time travel tale and most of those are "do not go this way." :)

Limpet mines - lots of limpet mines... :)

Cheers

Agree with chrisg, don't think we can either.

Anyway, I say fuck it, let's just go for gold and see what happens.  Who's to say we can pick the right point to stop at anyway?

The discussion really is not limited to AI but should be thought about in the context of all technology. We are pushing the limits every day. AI is not the only dangerous tech. Lots of things can be turned to nasty uses. 

And should we be doing it? Magnetic poles reverse and we are left without all the tools we so heavily depend on.  Should we be backing off and working out how to use tech less?

Can we be trusted with the responsibility to use technology of any kind well and not destroy ourselves with it? Is the Star Trek utopia even a possibility?

Oh, and I moved this topic to TGR for you. 🙂

i dont think we have a lot to fear when it comes to AI.  the 'stop button problem' in the video i posted above is goal post shifting nonsense.

a key point is that we will not understand the workings of the AI "minds" we create.  but human misuse of AI in the near term is far more scary to me than independently 'malicious' AI, especially as enlisted by the military-industrial complex.

i believe we will have non-sentient machines that people will start treating as alive loooooong before it is close to being true, and that in itself is a pandoras box.  our susceptibility to self-sabotaging social engineering is the most immediate vulnerability.

in any case, we will advance in tandem with the machines.  it is already the case.  there are few of us left on the planet that dont already define their use, from axes to microwave ovens as integral to the human experience.  we are already cybernetic extensions of the base organism.  these objects arent mere accessories, but deeply woven in.  it would be hard to argue, for example, that the invention of the printing press did not permanently alter human consciousness, certainly memetically, if not (to draw a long bow) perhaps biologically, through epigenetic inheritance.  while it is always fun to imagine how quickly we might regress after an apocalyptic event, functionally, as units of a newly roided up social organism, after the printing press we were no longer the same ape. 

a smart phone is just Babbage's difference engine with more cogs, in a smaller enclosure.  the difference engine doesnt think, it is a process of human thought in permanent form in much the same way that writing is, to quote The Dark Crystal, "words that stay".  so it goes that no matter how alienating "AI" may become, it is ultimately an expression of human intelligence.   interacting with it will make us smarter than we were before, just like reading this post :P