Kothos

Anyone here have ADHD and/or take Ritalin, or know someone who does?

I have an almost full packet of Ritalin that the medical community won't buy back. Yours free if you need it.

Edit: changed "take" to "buy".

Edited by Kothos

Psychiatrist said I could give it away... alternative he gave me was to give it to him and he'll use it in the hospital.

Actually the first thing he said was just chuck it but I don't like waste...

i'd recommend you flush it, as it is the equivalent of a narcotic wrt scheduling, and thus handing it over to someone unauthorised even without money involved is not legal

chemists are obliged to dispose of it if you hand it in - they won't buy it back as it is not a legal possibility either

if your quote by the psych is correct, he / she should read the poisons schedule and get educated

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder

Population criteria:

• Patient must be or have been diagnosed between the ages of 6 and 18 years inclusive.

Clinical criteria:

• Patient must have demonstrated a response to immediate-release methylphenidate hydrochloride with no emergence of serious adverse events,

AND

• Patient must require continuous coverage over 12 hours.

Care must be taken to comply with the provisions of State/Territory law when prescribing this drug.

Yeah, there's some people that'd pay good money for it.

I've got some diabetes test strips that I bought and they're the wrong type.  But I'd not try to sell them again, I've opened the pack and they're for the type of readers that transmit to an insulin injection system so if there was any problems it could be a real bad thing.  I've just had to write it off as 20 bucks down the shitter... though I suppose I could try to obtain the reader device if it was cheap enough.

Yeah I suppose all the security precautions make sense.  It just seems a waste so I thought I might be able to save someone some money.

I can see offering it up on facebook with a restricted audience as being helpful, despite the law.

On here tho', seems a bit risky, considering the law, and it's (technically) a public place.

Edited by Nich...

The problem is once the pack is open it may as well be considered as contaminated and if someone took them and went psychotic then there's plenty of scope for fallout.

That's why I've not done anything with these test strips - 99.9% chance they're totally fine but if they're not they could potentially kill someone.

I recall handing back unused champix to the doc. If he had not taken them I would've flushed them. No idea what the doc did with them.

It's a damned strange medication Ritalin.

For a while over here the docs seemed to be handing out to kids like lollies leaving classes full of zonked out kids - teachers ended up complaining about it and it seems to be improving of late.

One of my own daughters was prescribed it years ago - she is extremely wary of ANY medications, looked it up, gave the then doctor a piece of her mind and changed doctors.

It just seemed to be the go- to diagnosis for any out of norm behaviour by a child for a while "must be ADD/ADHD, prescribe Ritalin."

Fortunately that seems to be changing, at least here.

Cheers

If they're zonked out after more than a week or two, why wouldn't you be going back to the doctor and saying it's not ADD/ADHD/working?

A  mix of factors Nich, parents giving kids their meds before they head off to school, kids get affected by say first break, getting over it by home time, parents being blissfully unaware. Too many people just blindly take or give to kids whatever is prescribed to them.

Cheers

It doesn't matter what time of day it is, I can tell when my kid skipped his ritalin on a given day.

If parents and teachers aren't communicating about this kind of thing, then teachers complaining about the effects of student populations is a bit of a joke.

TBH Nich I would not know, as noted one of my kids refused to take it the other has no symptome to suggest she could have needed it.

But I have a lot of friends who are teachers, I hear the story quite often, along with parent/teacher meetings have become much less useful over time.

Cheers