SceptreCore

Windows 7 Beta 1 rumored release for December 2008

Interesting - Windows just popped up a solution to the MSI installer issue in the Action Center, without any prompting. Maybe not a huge thing, but it could be handy for less experienced users.

can't run 3dMark06 in either x32 or x64 bit versions of Win.7, get the message:

IDirect3DDevice9:: Present Failed: Device lost.(D3DERR_DEVICE LOST)

I haven't got F@H installed, I tried the latest win.7 drivers as well as a few vista ones (running i7/P6T D'luxe/3870X2/3870/3G 1600Mhz/HX1000)

Kablez put me onto windows 7. Basically he mentioned all the cool features.

I created a Virtual Image of 7 and found it to be SP2 for Vista.

Installed on my computer though and damn so far its nice. I have had 1 issue with my g7 mouse staying in the right hand corner for some reason... :S

Oh no downloading and installing Kaspersky Anti-Virus 8.0 for Windows Workstations was painful. I think it downloaded at about 2k a second.

Loved how everything was installed though (driver wise) from install. I had XP SP3 before hand and could not upgrade so a fresh install and to this point it has been worth it but there is alot of stuff I find to be novelty features for now and I do need alot more time on it. :)

Im very interested in the Tech support HTML videos that you can make with windows :D

Installed on my computer though and damn so far its nice. I have had 1 issue with my g7 mouse staying in the right hand corner for some reason... :S

Oh no downloading and installing Kaspersky Anti-Virus 8.0 for Windows Workstations was painful. I think it downloaded at about 2k a second.

Loved how everything was installed though (driver wise) from install. I had XP SP3 before hand and could not upgrade so a fresh install and to this point it has been worth it but there is alot of stuff I find to be novelty features for now and I do need alot more time on it. :)

Im very interested in the Tech support HTML videos that you can make with windows :D

They aren't quite videos, basically it records keystrokes and mouse clicks, and takes a screenshot each time you perform an action (open a program, click OK, etc.) The resulting files are then compiled into an MHT file (inside a zip file), with text descriptions of what you did in each step. Still a very useful tool though! Give it a try by typing "Record steps" at the Start menu, then look for "Record steps to reproduce a problem".

I've tried Vista SP2 beta, it's nothing like Windows 7 beta...

I've tried Vista SP2 beta, it's nothing like Windows 7 beta...

I think he means it's what Vista should have been, as in its just a minor update from Vista. Really he should have said SP3, since SP2 already exists.

It's a minor update, as far as look and feel are concerned. Plus it's still just a beta, look and feel could change quite a bit before release, just look at how Longhorn changed from the initial betas to what we now know as Vista.

In terms of under-the-hood changes, I believe some of them are pretty major, and would definitely be outside the scope of a service pack.

I'll say it again, touting the "Service Pack X for Vista" mantra to the general public is just going to diminish W7's chance of being as awesome as it could be (and is looking like it's going to be!).

Yes it's mainly the GUI that people are saying "it's like Vista" just because the GUI isn't finished yet.

Under the hood there are a lot of major changes, hence it using a lot less RAM etc.

Yes it's mainly the GUI that people are saying "it's like Vista" just because the GUI isn't finished yet.

Under the hood there are a lot of major changes, hence it using a lot less RAM etc.

Y'know... with all this press floating around about Microsoft saying it's just Vista taken to with a large wrench, I'm not so convinced it is majorly different under the hood. It's just Vista the way it damn well should have been.

Would someone possibly be able to do me the huge favour of burning the ISO to a DVD and snail-mailing it to me? I have the CDKey, but unfortunately just don't have the DL quota to handle 3.15gb.

Melbournian peoples get a beer out of it next time I see you, other people shall recieve $5 in their bank/paypal accounts :P

Rob.

Windows 7 and Mirrors edge dont play nice when PhysX is enabled.

also, some issues with audio with an Azuntech Prelude 7.1, might be creative drivers.

Edited by Kommando

Dual booted windows 7 with XP Pro 32 and works like a charm. I noticed the improvments straight away. Faster boot time, smoother flowing interface and faster response time to requests. I will definately get this when the final version comes out. Can't wait.

Would someone possibly be able to do me the huge favour of burning the ISO to a DVD and snail-mailing it to me? I have the CDKey, but unfortunately just don't have the DL quota to handle 3.15gb.

Melbournian peoples get a beer out of it next time I see you, other people shall recieve $5 in their bank/paypal accounts :P

Rob.

32 or 64 bit? I could burn it off for you.

Rob.

32 or 64 bit? I could burn it off for you.

64bit would be tops.

Rob.

I like it. I was running XP MCE 2005 on my HTPC and could never get it to play nice. The install of Win 7 was painless and it even detected my Linksys wireless card (I the same card in my Vista box too but it doesn't play nice, so it's disabled). Nearly all my issues with media center have gone away. Now the only problem that remains is that it will not record scheduled records. I believe that a problem introduced with the Vista TV Pack.

Anyhoo, I'll definitely be upgrading when it's released.