SceptreCore

Windows 7 Beta 1 rumored release for December 2008

Does anyone know if a new style is coming with Win7?

Do you mean a new GUI?

If so of course it will, there will be several different designs / changes before the final product,

Windows Longhorn for example, lost count of the amount of styles that went through that beta stage

Well I have some performance numbers that ZDnet did for Windows 7 build 6956. This test pitched Windows 7 build 6956 32-bit against Windows Vista RTM 32-bit and Windows Vista SP1 32-bit.

Link

The systems used these specs:

Phenom 9700 quad-core processor

ATI Radeon 3850 graphics card with 256MB RAM

ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe motherboard

2GB (2 x 1GB) Corsair Dominator CM2X1024-8500C5D RAM

Western Digital Raptor 10,000RPM 150GB primary hard drive

Western Digital Caviar 7,200RPM 500GB secondary hard drive

Each system was fully patched with all patches available from Windows Update.

The tests used were:

Boot-up time

PassMark PerformanceTest

PCMark Vantage

CINEBENCH R10

Scores:

Boot Up Times:

Windows 7 build 6956 - Boot up time: 20 sec

Vista 32-bit RTM - Boot up time: 27 sec

Vista 32-bit SP1 - Boot up time: 31 sec

PassMark PerformanceTest:

Windows 7 build 6956 - Score: 1007.5

Vista 32-bit RTM - Score: 1001.3

Vista 32-bit SP1 - Score: 986.6

PC Mark Vantage:

Windows 7 build 6956 - Score: 5233

Vista 32-bit RTM - Score: 4807

Vista 32-bit SP1 - Score: 4762

CINEBENCH R10:

Windows 7 build 6956

1CPU Score: 2076

xCPU Score: 7370

Multi-proc speedup: 3.55x

OpenGL: 3183

Vista 32-bit RTM

1CPU Score: 2172

xCPU Score: 7808

Multi-proc speedup: 3.59x

OpenGL: 3960

Vista 32-bit SP1

1CPU Score: 2084

xCPU Score: 7140

Multi-proc speedup: 3.43x

OpenGL: 3458

So... by looks of this we may expect more performance, but as the OS develops... we may see performance decreases. Time will tell

...Our beta isn’t even out the door yet and many are already dusting off their benchmarks and giving them a whirl. As a reminder, we are encouraging folks to hold on benchmarking our pre-production builds. Yet we’ve come to expect it will happen, and we realize it will lead many to conclude one thing or another, and at the same time we appreciate those of you who take the time to remind folks of the pre-ship status of the code. Nevertheless we’re happy that many are seeing good results thus far. We're not yet as happy as we believe we will be when we finish the product as we continue to work on all the fundamental capabilities of Windows 7 as well as all the new features folks are excited about...

...Our beta isn’t even out the door yet and many are already dusting off their benchmarks and giving them a whirl. As a reminder, we are encouraging folks to hold on benchmarking our pre-production builds. Yet we’ve come to expect it will happen, and we realize it will lead many to conclude one thing or another, and at the same time we appreciate those of you who take the time to remind folks of the pre-ship status of the code. Nevertheless we’re happy that many are seeing good results thus far. We're not yet as happy as we believe we will be when we finish the product as we continue to work on all the fundamental capabilities of Windows 7 as well as all the new features folks are excited about...

Oh well, still.. benching it opposed to playing around with WMP12!

I choose benching it.. no matter the result

:P

I chucked Build 6956 onto my early-2007 C2D laptop last week, haven't booted back into XP since. I'm particularly loving the new Aero features; hover the cursor over the icon of a running app, and all other open apps go transparent - really helpful for checking on background apps without having to minimize anything, or even Alt-Tab.

Edited by madmatt12345

Windows 7 sounds more and more like what would usually been Vista SP3.

It seems business as usual now for Microsoft to release a partly-unfinished product, patch the buggery out of it from the day of release, and then expect people to pay for a new version just before they finally get around to finishing it.

It's no wonder so many people are opting out of Vista.

I'm able to get a copy of Windows 7000 the latest leaked build which will be the beta, might download it and see how it goes

And where might one download it?

Isn't it a public Beta?

It will be a public beta, but it looks like the copy available now has been leaked after the beta was made available to selected Microsoft partners a week or so ago. The leaked build is definitely beta 1 though.

have u guys noticed that wmp12 has no EQ? in fact the whole "Enhancements" option is gone.

I'm sitting inside Windows 7 beta right now. She's definitely a beauty. Nice and quick too.

To be honest, I've never seen a version of Windows this responsive and easy to use. Definitely a strong OSX influence all over the place, but who cares right?

I particularly love the new taskbar. It takes a little while to get used to but thanks to the new grouping options I only have 4 icons open, instead of 10.

I'm sitting inside Windows 7 beta right now. She's definitely a beauty. Nice and quick too.

How would you rate it to a fresh build of Vista!

Definitely a lot faster, and a lot more stable. Still a few odd bugs - just had to restart, for example, to get Windows to recognise any USB device - but that's to be expected.

Definitely a lot faster, and a lot more stable. Still a few odd bugs - just had to restart, for example, to get Windows to recognise any USB device - but that's to be expected.

Good to hear

Stock it up with plenty of apps and games.. and see how it performs then!

I read this thread and the general impression I got is that Windows 7 isn't too bad at all. May be even worth upgrading from the trusty XP.

The beta has two bugs I've noticed so far that are worth mentioning - first, it seems to randomly change the resolution of my second display upon resuming from sleep, although it could be the Nvidia drivers (downloaded them via Windows Update though). Second, putting the PC to sleep with any flash drive still plugged in seems to cause Windows to be unable to recognise any USB device upon resuming from sleep.

EDIT: Here's a third one - moving the mouse at all (Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse) will wake the system from sleep, regardless of power settings.

Edited by madmatt12345

One of my mates is using build 7000 from uncle torrence, and so far has nothing but praise, especially for the gaming performance.

I can't install it till the x64 edition comes out (4870X2, 2GB VRAM, eugh).

for some reason i can't get the ati catalyst windows 7 preview drivers to install. just bsods all the time, using the default drivers which seems fine? haven't done any proper performance tests but WoW runs the same (fps, etc) compared to when i was on winXP.

this is using the beta 7000. i really like it, boots very very fast and overall interface is nice, i like the way its all icons on the task bar etc and when you click on say the windows explorer option and you have multiple windows open it pops up all the windows and you can select which one you want.

also when copying files and you have minimized the copy window, behind the icon there is a progress bar so you know when it finishes, very small detail but nice to have there.

i am liking it overall and i think i might just buy it when it gets released. everything works as i would expect and it is in its beta phase so i guess i'm being more tolerant if anything does go wrong. but windows has not crashed on me once.

except the ati drivers issue, which i'm yet to find a solution, even using vista 32bit 8.12 drivers still does not work.