Jump to content
Nich...

Forum downtime / new feature testing

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Nich... said:

OTOH, Chayos has a more believable post-count, now, soooooo swings and roundabouts?

I would not be surprised if it's recounting posts in the backend.  It may potentially be excluding pre-v3 posts, too.

Everyone seems to have dropped post count by a substantial amount. I'd say it's not counting archived stuff in the back end. Might have to do some manual adjustments... ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chaos.Lady said:

Everyone seems to have dropped post count by a substantial amount. I'd say it's not counting archived stuff in the back end. Might have to do some manual adjustments... ?

https://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/profile/30-chaoslady/

https://archive.atomicmpc.com.au/viewdetails.asp?u=5313

Seems about 50k+ posts too few ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a matter of interest, how is 'reputation' determined?  It seems unlikely to me that mine should be so much higher than Chaos' or Nich's.  Unless it's backwards like a golf handicap... (in which case, Ima beat somebody) ?

 

/aside: automatic emoticons.  I shall become spoiled.

 

Oh, btw:  Does anybody else find it disconcerting that the 'read' spot beside a thread title is more noticeable than the 'unread' one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Nich... said:

My post count was fiddled a number of times and reset back to zero over and over for months during the old days.   There was a count somebody did a fair time ago and it got reset to whatever that was at the time and I think it's been going forward since then.

 Going by a few others I looked at, some have lost a few thousand posts as well (hence Guru to Champion).  That spammer MacDude's also seems off.  And yours is also extremely dodgy. ;D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Cybes said:

As a matter of interest, how is 'reputation' determined?  It seems unlikely to me that mine should be so much higher than Chaos' or Nich's.  Unless it's backwards like a golf handicap... (in which case, Ima beat somebody) ?

 

/aside: automatic emoticons.  I shall become spoiled.

 

Oh, btw:  Does anybody else find it disconcerting that the 'read' spot beside a thread title is more noticeable than the 'unread' one?

It seems to go on people hitting "like" on posts.  Nobody here likes me or Nich much.   Especially Nich.

It's also probably associated with warnings etc.  And I have about 10 warnings against me (mainly for abuse). ?  People like to play with stuff in the mod cave. ?

 

EDIT: Actually looking at it - it gives 1 point for a "Like", a "Thanks" and a "Haha".

"Confused" and "Sad" do nuttin.

It's also set so you can't react to your own posts. 

Ohhhhhhhhh: I can create custom ones!  Hehe.  *Goes playing*.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IIRC reputation is based on who reacts to posts, but maybe also who is doing the reacting.  Profiles show what your reputation is from.

 

https://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/profile/1543-nich/reputation/?type=forums_topic_post&change_section=1

https://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/profile/30686-cybes/reputation/?type=forums_topic_post&change_section=1

There's also the potential that it's just for things given, but some posts or threads have been disappeared, so they deduct from the 'community reputation' total.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cybes said:

/aside: automatic emoticons.  I shall become spoiled.

Oh, btw:  Does anybody else find it disconcerting that the 'read' spot beside a thread title is more noticeable than the 'unread' one?

That's turned off, so it's odd to see it still happen.

What are the 'read' and 'unread' spots you're talking about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with reputation - I was researching why the hell those annoying repost bots are seemingly everywhere.  A good theory was on a Reddit post - supposedly they try to build up these accounts with reputation points then sell them.  Why, who knows?  Likely for virul advertising purposes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor @Virul :<

That's how it works for things like, say, Facebook pages.  Repost bots on here aren't going to get any rep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Nich... said:

That's turned off, so it's odd to see it still happen.

What are the 'read' and 'unread' spots you're talking about?

I may have used the wrong term, but bear with me.  It's the spot or star beside the thread title, which changes colour if there are new posts in the thread since you last read it.  At least on mine (Firefox Quantum on W10).  It get darker when there are new posts, which is rather less noticeable than the standard light grey against the black background.  I can try to arrange a screenshot for you if you like (just gotta wait for some unread posts).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Cybes said:

I may have used the wrong term, but bear with me.  It's the spot or star beside the thread title, which changes colour if there are new posts in the thread since you last read it.  At least on mine (Firefox Quantum on W10).  It get darker when there are new posts, which is rather less noticeable than the standard light grey against the black background.  I can try to arrange a screenshot for you if you like (just gotta wait for some unread posts).

Looking at TGR now, there's a grey star next to anything I've posted in, a grey circle/dot for anything with new posts; green thumbtack for pinned/sticky posts, green star as another kind of sticky, and a grey circle with a question mark in it for a thread with a poll.

IIRC the 'I've posted in this thread' star used to be blue?  I don't remember what colour 'unread posts in here'  was - green perhaps?

 

From the main site index, dull grey chatbox in a circle for sub-forums with no new posts, and a bolder (more contrasting) version of the same for sub-forums with new content. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Nich... said:

Looking at TGR now, there's a grey star next to anything I've posted in, a grey circle/dot for anything with new posts; green thumbtack for pinned/sticky posts, green star as another kind of sticky, and a grey circle with a question mark in it for a thread with a poll.

IIRC the 'I've posted in this thread' star used to be blue?  I don't remember what colour 'unread posts in here'  was - green perhaps?

 

From the main site index, dull grey chatbox in a circle for sub-forums with no new posts, and a bolder (more contrasting) version of the same for sub-forums with new content. 

No colours at all for me save shades of grey, and only two of those: light and dark.  Screenie clipping:

screenie.png

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And of course I opened this from the 'unread content' screen, so I didn't see if the stars changed colour.

It looks like starred threads - things you've posted in previously - use the same dark grey colour as the round circle/dot next to threads you haven't posted in, to show new content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just as a side note....

Clicking on the "handy help page" under "housekeeping", cycles you straight back to the top of the guidelines......

 

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 3.53.51 pm.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 3.53.57 pm.jpg

 

 

Edited by DEVERE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chaos.Lady said:

My post count was fiddled a number of times and reset back to zero over and over for months during the old days.   There was a count somebody did a fair time ago and it got reset to whatever that was at the time and I think it's been going forward since then.

 Going by a few others I looked at, some have lost a few thousand posts as well (hence Guru to Champion).  That spammer MacDude's also seems off.  And yours is also extremely dodgy. ;D

Looks like mine has been tweaked quite a bit too....

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 4.29.33 pm.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DEVERE said:

Looks like mine has been tweaked quite a bit too....

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 4.29.33 pm.jpg

Should look better now. ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/1/2018 at 12:22 PM, chrisg said:

Hitting Enter to start a new paragraph ends up with a double space, like this ^

Just did some playing around, shift+enter goes to the direct next line, rather than starting a new paragraph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, it's using "Fuzzy time".  Don't like it.  I'd prefer "Posted 10:35 2/8/2018" than "Posted 10 minutes ago".

If you open a thread then leave it for some time, it soon becomes apparent.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Also, it's using "Fuzzy time".  Don't like it.  I'd prefer "Posted 10:35 2/8/2018" than "Posted 10 minutes ago".

If you open a thread then leave it for some time, it soon becomes apparent.

Tooltips from those times - usually links on posts and etc - show exact times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TheManFromPOST said:

The date stamp is wrong

this is AUSTRALIA, not some backwards, flea bitten silly place

 

DAY/ MONTH/ YEAR

thank you

Tried to fix it and I broke something ?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fun fact, it's not broken for anyone else apparently, so, uh, that's good news.

For what it's worth, at the bottom of the page you can select Australian, rather than American, English.  This should fix the date format.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember that time when @Nich... thought he broke the forums, and 40 mins later realised it was just cookies in one browser?  Yeah, good times.
Just set Australian English as the default language, let me know if you still see it arseabout, @TheManFromPOST

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Nich... said:

Remember that time when @Nich... thought he broke the forums, and 40 mins later realised it was just cookies in one browser?  Yeah, good times.
Just set Australian English as the default language, let me know if you still see it arseabout, @TheManFromPOST

Ahhh, that is better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Nich... said:

Remember that time when @Nich... thought he broke the forums, and 40 mins later realised it was just cookies in one browser?  Yeah, good times.
Just set Australian English as the default language, let me know if you still see it arseabout, @TheManFromPOST

And then pinged me to find out that it was the browser and not the forum... ?

 

Nice work dearheart. ?  Your efforts are appreciated. The great battle of the CSS was totally worth it. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×