Nich...

New forum issues/features here (Atomic πi)

Have at it with any issues you find while using the new forums!

On 30/07/2018 at 2:30 PM, Daniel Godden said:

I think unreads got reset with the upgrades, so that might explain the missing start (I've had one on this thread which has new content since the upgrade))

The unread content might be out of wack for a bit, as the search is being re-indexed which will take a while to finish (a couple of days maybe).

Posted (edited)

Features!

• Welcome to Atomic πi
  • Below the avatar on each post, reputation is currently exposed; previously you had to go digging.  You can now do more than 'like' a post, as part of the reputation system.
  • You can currently ignore a specific user's signature.  To undo this, you have to visit the Ignored Users page, accessible via the top-right profile/username menu.
  • Embedded content - images, youtube, etc - scales dynamically based on the window size.  Yep, youtube can be biiiiiiiig now.
  • The rich-text-editor (RTE) is using bbcode tags; control+b/i/u work as hotkeys for formatting text in the RTE.
  • The RTE pastes in content with full formatting.  When rich text is pasted, a bar will appear at the bottom of the editor with a button to convert the pasted content to plain text.  Users can also paste as plain text by using Ctrl + Shift + V in Google Chrome and Firefox on Windows, or ⌥⇧⌘V in any browser on a Mac.  I believe holding down ctrl while right-clicking will bring up a menu with some options, too.
  • The RTE has a button to preview the post.  You can preview how it will appear on the approximate sizes of tablet and phone screens.  To return to editing from the preview, you have to hit the little x icon in the top left of that area, on the far right of the bar with the 'desktop/tablet/phone' previews.

Bugs!

  Functionality-related?

• It's currently set to not concatenate chain posts into a single post.   I'll look at swapping that back in a few days/a week.  It's useful for testing some stuff atm.
  • By default, notifications now make a sound.  It can be changed per-user.  Or we can default it back to quiet-time. Sorry, you need to individually disable it via https://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/notifications/options/
  • Editing, saving, re-editing and saving etc a few times can lead to a messy post with duplicate data and text in weird places.  Refreshing the page clears it up.
  • I think all (or maybe only some?) avatars were dropped.  The new default is the first letter of a username.  I've re-enabled Gravatars, which should bring some back relatively quickly; you can link to externally hosted images, or upload 'em here.
  • Post-counts seem to no longer factor in posts made in the archives SceptreCore

Theme-related?

• Signatures and 'edited by' info text keep the grey-ish colour (I think).  Delimiting lines separating signatures, quote/edit options, and the main post show up in this mode as grey.
  • When hitting 'cancel' on the RTE's edit, the 'Your changes have not been saved. Are you sure you want to cancel?' confirmation prompt to keep/lose all changes is white-on-white.
  • The body text colour and background colour of the popup for "Mark site read" are both white.  Mordenakhnen
  • Hitting 'mark forum as read' brings up 'Are you sure you want to mark all topics in this forum as read?' as white-on-white.
  • RTE post-box has a black background, which disappears a little into the general black/dark theme of the site.
  • Selecting multiple posts via checkboxes on the right of posts makes those posts keep white text but changes the post/table background from black to a light grey. Quoted text keeps its grey background and is legible.
  • When using spoiler tags (and entering text), the text is white-on-white.  This may be a level of spoiler usage that is meta-unintended. When viewing posted spoiler, and opening the 'hide contents' section, text is still white-on-white.
  • When a thread has a new post, there's a small dark grey circle next to it in the index page.  If you've posted in that thread, and there's a new post, it's a dark grey star.  If you've posted and there's no new post, it's a light grey star.  This visibility scheme is inherited from the default white theme, where dark colours are more obvious against a white background, than a black one.  I believe a blue or green were used for these in the past?
  • The page numbers that show up next to a thread on the index page, are night invisible against the black (and grey) backgrounds, until hovered over.  Unsure if desired behaviour, or unintended effect: dark grey text on dark coloured backgrounds, highlights to a brighter colour (mirrors the default white theme, where they're grey and go darker on hover)

Mobile-specific?

• Unable to change avatars from mobile - should be available via Hamburger > Account > Profile, as per desktop fredzfrog
  • Hamburger > Account > Account Settings > Settings Area - the current selection (by default, Overview) is readable, the rest are all white-on-white
  • Unable to @ mention people from mobile
Edited by Nich...
always updating

So the upload feature... I take it given the 500K attachment limit (total) that it's only going to be used for avatars and tagline pics?

No uploading of "the baby tripping over the cat" videos?

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Rybags said:

So the upload feature... I take it given the 500K attachment limit (total) that it's only going to be used for avatars and tagline pics?

No uploading of "the baby tripping over the cat" videos?

I'm still trawling the backend looking over things.  Test it and see what happens?
OK, standard users get a small bit of space to upload things.  That 500k is both the limit of a single attachment, and all of them combined.  I guess it'll get lowered/disabled if it causes space issues.

Edited by Nich...

just returned ... can't see my previous post about signing out or your reply to me Nich. I only know you did cos notification told me so. I do see your and Rybags' last posts

23 minutes ago, eveln said:

just returned ... can't see my previous post about signing out or your reply to me Nich. I only know you did cos notification told me so. I do see your and Rybags' last posts

I had some issues merging and moving threads around that shouldn't have happened.  I had to re-create this thread.

1 minute ago, Nich... said:

I had some issues merging and moving threads around that shouldn't have happened.  I had to re-create this thread.

Ahh. I can see the other version when I click on the notification of your quoting me . It's all a bit weirdish just now :)

We're trialling a few new things as far as spam prevention goes.

If you're a new member (or a returning member) and your usergroup is 'Lurker', you have 60 minutes from making a post to edit it.  Lurkers are promoted out of that group after 15 posts.

If you want edit permissions we can arrange this by request if you really are a lurker and not a spammer... :)

The spoiler tag is kinda impossible to use.  I had to keep highlighting it in order to edit it before posting (white on white).

Just a quickie...

The 'Online Users' is showing each 'Guest' currently on the site as a separate user. So I see a list of 25 or so separate Guests and a handful of logged-in users. Is this the preferred view for this page?

52 minutes ago, PhR33X said:

Just a quickie...

The 'Online Users' is showing each 'Guest' currently on the site as a separate user. So I see a list of 25 or so separate Guests and a handful of logged-in users. Is this the preferred view for this page?

Can't really see much in the way of configuration for this page.  You can use the "Filter" area if you want to view it a particular way.

Filtering by "Logged in" seems to  get rid of the "Guest" users.

• Thanks 1

Urrghhhh.  It took me a while, but I think I finally figured out how to go directly to an unread post from the Unread Content area.

You gotta click on the little conversation bubble icon.  Otherwise it takes you to the top of the thread (first post).

I maybe have to find a setting to change the post order or something. 😞

8 minutes ago, Chaos.Lady said:

Urrghhhh.  It took me a while, but I think I finally figured out how to go directly to an unread post from the Unread Content area.

You gotta click on the little conversation bubble icon.  Otherwise it takes you to the top of the thread (first post).

I maybe have to find a setting to change the post order or something. 😞

You mean, the same thing you click on to go to first new unread post anywhere else on the forum, and did on the last forum, too?  Yeah 😉

7 minutes ago, Nich... said:

You mean, the same thing you click on to go to first new unread post anywhere else on the forum, and did on the last forum, too?  Yeah 😉

I've never had to click on the little messages icon.  It's always just clicking on the post that's unread.

Smartynuts 😛

4 minutes ago, Chaos.Lady said:

I've never had to click on the little messages icon.  It's always just clicking on the post that's unread.

It won't even let me click on the 'little messages icon'.  Stop breaking it wrong!

3 minutes ago, Nich... said:

It won't even let me click on the 'little messages icon'.  Stop breaking it wrong!

atomicmessage.jpg

It takes you there if you click on the timestamp bit - ie '3 minutes ago' - as well as the little green icon, and the '87 replies'.  And the little grey circle next to the thread title.

But not the little message icon that the white triangle is pointing to.  The little conversation bubble 😜

1 minute ago, Nich... said:

It takes you there if you click on the timestamp bit - ie '3 minutes ago' - as well as the little green icon, and the '87 replies'.  And the little grey circle next to the thread title.

But not the little message icon that the white triangle is pointing to.  The little conversation bubble 😜

Ok, so wierdness.  I don't see the little grey circle.  I looked for it when I saw Cybes post, but it's not showing for me.

11 minutes ago, Chaos.Lady said:

atomicmessage.jpg

For this thread, on that page, you'd click on the star.

So when do you get the little dot?

*so confused*

It looks like the title is bolded (but it's hard to tell with the color scheme) and I have some grey stars, but haven't noticed dots.

So a star is if I've posted in the thread, a dot is if it's new and I haven't posted.  The star is light grey if there aren't unread and dark grey if there are?  Is that right?

EDIT: Wait.  I can't click on the star.  Or are we talking about the star in the Unread area?  Urghhh.  I'm going back to BBS. 😛

This is my 'unread content' stream:Screenshot_2018-08-02 Unread Content - Atomic v4.png

Want to get to the newest unread post for 'New forum issues/features here'?

• Click on the dark grey star
  • Click on the green '5 minutes ago' or '23 replies'

Want to get to the newest unread post for 'Project Binky'?

• Click on the dark grey circle/dot
  • Click on the green '4 hours ago' or '41 replies'

This is my view of TGR:Screenshot_2018-08-02 The Green Room.png

Want to get to the newest unread post for 'New forum issues/features here'?

• You can't, I've looked at every post inside it.  The star is now light grey

Want to get to the newest unread post for 'BASTARD CHILD Member Since 10 Sep 2008'?

• You can't, I've looked at every post inside it.  There's no star, I haven't posted in it.

Want to get to the newest unread post for 'Project Binky'?

• Click on the dark grey circle/dot
  • Click on the green '4 hours ago' or '41 replies'
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1