Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
nickeax

How to run Linux natively on Windows 10

1. Open the powershell as admin and type:
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux
You'll need to reboot after that.

2. Go to the play store and install your favourite distro!
- Ubuntu www.microsoft.com/store/p/ubuntu/9nblggh4msv6
- OpenSUSE www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9njvjts82tjx
- SLES www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9p32mwbh6cns
- Kali www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9PKR34TNCV07
- Debian www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9MSVKQC78PK6

3. For GUI you'll need to also need to install https://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/ and make sure X Server is running.

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

I wish it as actual true native.  WSL2 may be coming closer to it, but we'll see how restricted it is by Hyper-V, I guess.

WSL2 is getting further away, I believe. WSL1 was a set of drivers that allowed a linux kernel to run on top of the windows kernel. There were some pretty rough edges to that, but it was extremely cool technology.

WSL2 is just a VM running on hyperv, with all the usual downsides of full virtualization.

Writing wrappers to emulate a kernal seemed to be cool as far as bootstrapping the process of getting some native support, but also seemed to break a whole lot of stuff because it was janky and slow, assuming the surfaces you were writing for even existed.

IDK.  Still no nested VMs in Hyper-V on AMD hardware, to my knowledge, so the things I'd prefer to do with WSL still won't work.

Hyper-V also has a lot of gnarley problems that microsoft will struggle with in the developer community. If you try to have hyper-v, docker for windows and virtualbox installed at once, you get random bluescreens when you use them.

This means there's a mutually exclusive fight between:

a, in the red corner) Vagrant + Virtualbox
b, in the blue corner) Docker for windows + Hyper-V
c, in the...green corner?) Minikube on Virtualbox providing a linux docker host for WSL1

and now, adding an unwelcome fourth combatant, we have d) WSL2 + Hyper-V

Basically there's going to be a broad segment of the dev community that can't install hyperv without breaking their dev environments. All those people will just go back to running linux VM's (or bypassing all this nonsense by running linux natively, if they can).

• Like 1