nickeax

Green Room non-Googleable Music Quiz Game.

Kewl Banana's ....

Took a while trying to pick stuff that got some airtime while still being interesting.

Any way once I got this one playing in my mind's ear, the brain worm just kept munching so here we go.

IKWBL by TW

It got some airtime, but was I think a one hit wonder.?

I Know What Boys Like, by The Waitresses.

Song was near-instant, but I had to refresh my memory for the group name.

Edited by Cybes
Added clip

Hmmm.  Well, running the risk of obscurity (to this audience, anyway)...

S, by R.  And because a whole two letters is just not fair, you're looking at the period after the moon landing but before Fraser left office.

That's an interesting time frame ... Fraser left PMing in .... '83 ... so from about '69 through to '80.

Interesting choice, but no.  Sorry, Eve.

Second clue, since it's been 7 hours: The track listed is 'part 1' to the track immediately succeeding it on the album.  And now I must sleep.  I'll give you that track's initialisation in about 10 hours if nobody'd guessed by then.

We be a patient lot. 7 hours is like the batting of an eyelid in this thread ... mind you, having said that, clues are always acceptable

Hmmm Livin' in the Seventies ey?

Oops - not that one.  Redgum was Nineteen - not Seventeen  ?

I doubt you are into Rammstein.  I can't think of anything by Ramones, Raspberries or Rush.  Radiohead, Roxette and Rianna are all too late.  Hmmmmmm.

That's a tough one.

Yup - I thought this one might be obscure for this crowd.

Ok. The second track is LITB.

And a bonus clue: the band started off as JBR, but dropped the JB bit early on.

Hey Cybes, would the "S" song ever have made it to commercial radio or any of the music shows on the tv during the era ? ... Just trying to gauge whether I hold off on googlfu for a bit in the hopes me memory kicks in ?

4 hours ago, eveln said:

Hey Cybes, would the "S" song ever have made it to commercial radio or any of the music shows on the tv during the era ? ... Just trying to gauge whether I hold off on googlfu for a bit in the hopes me memory kicks in ?

Hm.  It definitely made it to TV in the '80s, because I watched it - but it was very much not regular programming.  Radio would be the same story but earlier.

Time for larger hints, I think:  The lead singer of the band that made the track in question had been in one published band previously, and went on to front a further two very successful bands (one started by and associated with another iconic singer, and one bearing his own name), and by the time of his death was considered a legend by many in both the industry and fandom.

...Also, the band name is something with which almost everyone is familar, and which has seen widespread association with an incredibly diverse range of causes and groups (associations, not other bands).

And that's about all I can dish out before it gets really obvious.

7 hours ago, Cybes said:

Hm.  It definitely made it to TV in the '80s, because I watched it - but it was very much not regular programming.  Radio would be the same story but earlier.

Time for larger hints, I think:  The lead singer of the band that made the track in question had been in one published band previously, and went on to front a further two very successful bands (one started by and associated with another iconic singer, and one bearing his own name), and by the time of his death was considered a legend by many in both the industry and fandom.

...Also, the band name is something with which almost everyone is familar, and which has seen widespread association with an incredibly diverse range of causes and groups (associations, not other bands).

And that's about all I can dish out before it gets really obvious.

many thanks.

I'm off to do work things now ... it will likely be 'sprung' by the time I get back ?

Oh dear.  Well, you can google this stuff, but you still ave to use your brain: Who connects Jimmy Blackmore, Ozzy Osborne, Tony Iommi, and Vinni Appice?

If you guys need a further hint after that, I'm just going to name names and throw it open for someone else.

Hahaha I say " phooey on your disdain ! " ... I not the only one playin' this game !!  LOL

I'm just as surprised as you that no intelligent atomican has unpuzzled your puzzle  :P~

Nothing to do with intelligence...Lady..?

Anyway it's "Stargazer" & "A Light in The Black" by "Rainbow" ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Waltish said:

Nothing to do with intelligence...Lady..?

Anyway it's "Stargazer" & "A Light in The Black" by "Rainbow" ?

Yay!

Go ahead, winner!

Sweet ?

Blackmore/ Deep Purple

Ozzy/Black Sabbath

Don't know what the others went on to do ?

19 minutes ago, Waltish said:

Don't know what the others went on to do

I can try to write up a potted history when I'm next at a real kb, if you like.

If you want to sure, others may be curious too.

This next will either solve in a day or it will be a bastardy one to solve.

SAOTTIOAND by JT

?

11 hours ago, Waltish said:

If you want to sure, others may be curious too.

Well then...As brief as I can make this complex mess:

Ozzy Osbourne: Black Sabbath vocalist (fired). He had a huge history of his own, but is only tangentially related to this story.

Ritchie Blackmore: Founding member of Deep Purple (guitarist), formed Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow (soon shortened to Rainbow) with Ronnie James Dio (RJD).

Jimmy Bain: Rainbow guitarist. Joined with Vinnie Appice and RJD to form Dio.

Tony Iommi: Founding member of Black Sabbath (guitarist).  Met RJD at The Rainbow Bar & Grill (name coincidence - not affiliated with the band). He and Geezer Butler brought in RJD to fill Osbourne's role as vocalist at Black Sabbath.  Also teamed up with Vinnie Appice and RJD in 2006 for the band Heaven & Hell (which was also the name of RJD's first album with Black Sabbath).

Vinnie Appice: Black Sabbath drummer, joined for RJD's first album (of 3 at that period) and left with him to form Dio. Did 5 albums then left for other projects. Rejoined Black Sabbath for Dehumanizer (RJD's brief return) and followed him back to Dio for another 2 albums, and the band project Heaven & Hell with Tony Iommi.

Ronnie James Dio: (1957: age 15) Vegas Kings (bass)/Ronnie & The Rumblers/Ronnie and the Redcaps (2 singles)/Ronnie Dio and the Prophets (1 single, 1 album)/solo (several singles)/The Electric Elves (shortened to Elf in 1972) (3 albums) [this was all essentially the same band with a kaleidoscopic name] // Rainbow (5 albums)// Black Sabbath (3 + 1 album) / Dio (10 albums).  Also participated in many small projects (most notably The Butterfly Ball And The Grasshopper's Feast, from which came the song and cartoon Love Is All) and the band project Heaven & Hell (1 album)

This really needs a visualisation chart, because it can get really messy if you try to follow all the members' bands.  You'll end up with a large chunk of 70s and 80s rock and metal in there somewhere.

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Most excellent post Cybes ?

The British music scene was quite mix and match in the early days. I think the London Club scene helped with that.

Thank you Cybes ?

Edited by Waltish

Ok first clue.

This band/artist(s) had first commercial success in 1969, officially ended in 2012, then reactivated in 2017 to present day. ?

(he/she/they gotta be ancient)

I will repeat the quizz question..

SAOTTIOAND by JT

Edited by Waltish