nickeax

Green Room non-Googleable Music Quiz Game.

I don't think I want another go just yet, but I'm pretty sure I know the answer to that.  (PM > Walt)  If so: Jeez, man - we just don't fit in here, musically.

Yes you are correct Cybes ?It's just that were still interested in the Old Stuff.?

Some clues below .

Was in the Army 8/9 RAR mid 70's when JT were playing the Brisbane convention centre , stuck on guard that night,  not one of many "mate's" would cover for me, they were all going to the gig, so can't blame them.

JT was considered to be one of if not the most successful progressive acts , having sold over 60,000,000 album's.

Edited by Waltish
additional content

This is part of my teens. The good part actually ... and again, I have to keep schtum  :(

i know you are referring to jethro tull, but i haven't got much of a clue to their songs

apart from thick as a brick

fun fact :  i actually saw ian anderson in my medical capacity earlier this century, and he wasn't a very happy man (because he was meant to be performing a tour) -but his interaction was a classic "shoot the messenger" response

personally i'd have rather seen genesis back in the day (when peter gabriel was still there)

• Like 1

Now that you have got the band worked out, I will let it stand a while before I give more clues.

It's ok to solve by research once we're deep into clues.

The Rock wizards have had plenty of time to get it by memory power ?

1 hour ago, scruffy1 said:

fun fact :  i actually saw ian anderson in my medical capacity earlier this century, and he wasn't a very happy man (because he was meant to be performing a tour) -but his interaction was a classic "shoot the messenger" response

There's mega bucks a stake, he is a high energy type, not an excuse for bad behaviour, I am just suggesting that it wasn't necessarily  personal, though you bore the brunt.

Edited by Waltish
additional content

Any way here is the song whoever wants to put in a question to keep this thread rolling feel free.

Edited by Waltish

from the same year (actually earlier in that year), but more "local", and to my ear way more amazing than jethro tull - even if he'd been pleasant to me

s by se

no, not south by south east

hints will be provided as required

errrr.... I'm all out of practice now. Darn it. S by SE... 

I'm thinking, I'm thinking...

Phbtbtbt! :P~~~  I can't even think of any bands with the initials SE, let alone from '72, never mind about the damn song.  SB, SC, SD... No SE.

Naturally, I will probably have to /head-desk once it's revealed.

spellbound by split ends ?

Edited by eveln

1 hour ago, eveln said:

spellbound by split ends

Well, that fits the initials.  But... '72?  Scruffy, if that's the right answer, I'm going to glare at you. ?

1 minute ago, Cybes said:

Well, that fits the initials.  But... '72? 

Yeah I know. It does fit the " more local " theme too...

I'm not even sure I was that aware of SplitEnds at that time . Jethro And TRex, Yes and the like were more on my favs. list  then than Split Ends were tbh.

1 minute ago, eveln said:

Yeah I know. It does fit the " more local " theme too...

Just looked them up.  I did not know they even existed before 1980, but apparently they did actually form in '72.  As in: garage band, with occasional pub gigs in NZ.  The track you listed, Eve, I would not have thought was written that far back, but I suppose it's vaguely possible - a lot of bands do hang on to old stuff a While before publishing it.

Just now, Cybes said:

Just looked them up.  I did not know they even existed before 1980, but apparently they did actually form in '72.  As in: garage band, with occasional pub gigs in NZ.  The track you listed, Eve, I would not have thought was written that far back, but I suppose it's vaguely possible - a lot of bands do hang on to old stuff a While before publishing it.

I remember hearing / reading somewhere they'd been around a long while before some of their tracks made it on commercial radio ... and back then well, that was where it was at for most bands. Air time  on the radio was  "It".

2 hours ago, Fenn said:

Bring on the /headdesk. I got SplitEnz but not Spellbound...

I'm awaiting confirmation before contusion. ?

1 hour ago, Cybes said:

confirmation before contusion. ?

...and that's the name of your band ?

quite so

mental notes was their debut album in the antipodes, in 1975

i had the cassette of this on high rotation circa 1980, having first gotten into them through their compilation "the beginnings of the enz" a year or so before - which showcased their performance stuff from 1972 till mental notes, including another version of spellbound which features the way gentler vocals of tim finn on lead

vastly under-recognised for their early work, before phil judd lost the plot and neil finn joined in with tim and the gang and they went about as mainstream as they could be before neil went on to be "crowded house"

as the reviewer states  at https://www.elsewhere.co.nz/essentialelsewhere/1879/split-enz-mental-notes-1975/ 

In places, Mental Notes seems lengthy and indulgent. That was what the prevailing art-rock ethic allowed.

But unlike later Genesis, the increasingly self-important Jethro Tull helmed by ultra-arrogant bore Ian Anderson, and other such bands to which they were initially compared, the Enz extended the contract into strange corners.

their later stuff is still very clever, but mental notes is a masterpiece that was, to coin an over used and mostly inflated descriptor, world class

well worth a listen if you are unfamiliar with their early work

and way better in flac at 888 kbps ?

Edited by scruffy1

4 hours ago, Cybes said:

pub band sorta misses just how theatrical their early work was, like suggesting shakespeare did some short stories

here's 1976, they looked even weirder in concert

the sound is very reminiscent of 10cc of that era

Edited by scruffy1

Gruaahhhnnnh!  Fine.

/headdesk

Well, that might bruise, thanks to aspirin.  Can't remember the last time i got a bump, though - and not through trauma, either. ?

Oh, and /glare for Scruffy, too.

--

So, back to Eve, then.

Alright. Since I'm more mainstream than some of you no clues just now.

A by MAA

Nope..  

I can actually blame a mate and his parents.  They were massive Mental As Anything fans.  Everytime I was there, they had them playing.  (Well.  For a few years.  But let's just pretend they were formative years.  It was end of Primary School/Early High School).   

AD

yep. they be a great band . AccessDenied wins the pot this time

Edited by eveln