Sign in to follow this  
eveln

Where did it go ?!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-05/meteor-flying-over-sydney-captured-on-dashcam/10075236

SO did it anyone see it fall ? Talking about the meteor that hundreds of peeps in NSW and Vic. saw and took footage of.

I read the other dayanother one landed just recently near a US defence force base in Greenland or somewhere.This one last night must have been  bloody huge to have been soooo visible. Surely someone felt or heard it fall ...

Ooh that was pretty spectacular! If it fell somewhere rural it might not have been heard - is there anyone tracking the direction of travel to start to pin down possible fall sites? There are some sizable national parks that could have swallowed a meteor pretty quietly.

Upto 70cm according to that article, Eveln.  Fuck up your day if it hit your house or car, but not enough to kill even a neighbourhood, much less dinosaurs.

A Mr Finley is apparently asking for info from the public. hoping to be able to track it ... but well, if it fell and nobody heard or witnessed it, um, did it really happen ?

I missed the actual size of it Cybes, was just going off the picks of the dash cam there

If it was seen from New England to Gippsland then I don't know why they'd think it landed around Cooma.
Maybe there was more than one.
Finding it might take a while - some pretty rugged and remote mountain country - draw a direct line from just south of Melbourne to just south of Canberra, practically nobody lives there.

FTR - my quick and dirty guess to the landing spot:  37.323 S, 146.657 E "near Caledonia River Track/Reynard , VIC"

Edited by Rybags

talking with a friend on a cricket pitch one night, no one else around, when suddenly we stopped, mouths agape no doubt, transfixed by the sight of a meteor streaking across the sky low and slow. 

it burned for a ridiculous length of time, like around 10 seconds but it may have been half that — which is still crazy long. it was bright enough to illuminate its own fricken smoke trail across a good 20° arc of sky.  and i cant shake the memory of hearing it, although that may have been an auditory hallucination created in the moment, but it was like the sound of a dull blow torch.  once in a life time.

• Like 1

Hah ! I stopped looking up after tripping over a few times and almost breaking my wrist and doing nasty gravel rash on my knees ;)

City lights + pollution means we miss a lot.

Best one I saw was in the afternoon, lasted probably over 10 seconds after I'd noticed it and it also had the dull rocket roar.  Came down almost vertically, pinkish colour and was on the news as well, but probably no video, was well before anyone carried mobile phones around.

21 minutes ago, eveln said:

Hah ! I stopped looking up after tripping over a few times and almost breaking my wrist and doing nasty gravel rash on my knees ?

...sounds like a punch line to a joke

?

51 minutes ago, TheManFromPOST said:

...sounds like a punch line to a joke

?

true story tho :) spent months with a support strap on my wrist. All better now

I don't have city lights, it's just when night falls I'm usually inside making a nuisance of my self on here or in tanks or giving Walt the shits, or ... the list is endless for anywhere but looking up at the night sky. I will say, the other night coming home I thought

I was gonna have the moon drop on top of me it was fucking massive ;)

Now they're saying it was 120km up - so entirely possible it either burned out  or just skipped off the atmosphere.
Can't say I've ever heard of a meteor that was seen over such a huge area.

hmm, just checked out the article.  not unlike the one i saw but bigger.  we were more or less directly under it on a clear night away from street lights.  dont remember seeing any colour at all in the tail.  but the same languid pace, definitely.  never heard a thing about it from anyone else though :/  but then, it was pre-internet early 90s and quite possibly 3:00 am on a weeknight.  

18 hours ago, Rybags said:

City lights + pollution means we miss a lot.

The ones that you can see in full daylight are the best!