Hi

I need a computer genius my PC is driving me crazy.

Every time I start an online game the line drops out at the start of the game it can go on for a while trying to get into the game is a nightmare most of the time I give up but if I stick with it I end up in the game and its fine.

It does not matter which game it can be any. For me its Arma3 or FPV drone sims.

We can watch YouTube, stream on Netflix’s or just surf the net without any problems but as soon as a game loads the modem lights go out and it drops out. Telstra is saying everything is fine on their end and I have done all the fixes I found online googling the problem like updating the latest firmware for the modem and changes on windows settings but nothing has worked.

Nothing has changed with my PC in years this just started a few weeks back out of the blue.

I run windows 7 and the PC is fine as far as I know it’s not that old and still works fine other than this.

Thanks for any help.

Power cycle the modem before launching a game. Ask for a replacement modem if they own it.  

+1 Ask for a new modem.

Don't mention the cause, mention the symptoms.

"Commonly, the lights on the modem all go out, including the POWER light, I've tried a different powerpoint and it still happens"

They'll send you a new one.

• Like 1

Thanks guys  its my modem as the one they suppied died 2 yrs ago and I did not want to wait for them to replace it so just went out and purchased my own  "netgear unit".

The thing that gets me is it only drops out when  I load a game you would think if its a modem it would be happing all the time. We can stream or do anything online for as long as we want weeks , months and no problems but as soon as I load a game it drops out.

Looks like I will have to try a $200 gamble on the modem and just hope its that.

thx

$200 modem?  If it's a VDSL / NBN type modem then worth your while getting a decent one otherwise you're likely buying something that'll be trash bound in a short while.

ADSL modems these days are throwaway items.  If you're wanting to diagnose a dropout issue just grab a second hand one from Gumtree for 5 bucks or something.
Are you using ethernet or Wifi? 
If it's a VDSL / NBN type modem then worth your while getting a decent one otherwise you're likely buying something that'll be trash bound in a short while.

On 8/19/2018 at 3:56 PM, Tunnel_Rat said:

The thing that gets me is it only drops out when  I load a game you would think if its a modem it would be happing all the time. We can stream or do anything online for as long as we want weeks , months and no problems but as soon as I load a game it drops out.

Not necessarily.

it's got to do with how many simultaneous connections it needs to manage.
I bet a Torrent would drop it out too.