Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

Win10 Forced Updates are back.....

So anyone seen the bullshit that is Windows 10 this month?
I recently switched to Linux Mint at home, and thank christ.
Microsoft is getting dodgy, taking away all users options entirely.

Basically, they moved the Update Assistant from a program to a service, so anyone who was blocking the EXE was no longer blocking the exe.....
Dirty, Dirty, Dirty.

But it gets worse!
At work, due to needing an "Older PC" and a "Newer PC" as we run a lot of remote communities, I have my PC's updates disabled.
My PC is meant to be the insecure 'Out of date' PC, as I do everything in a Mint VM anyway.

Every privacy setting one by one disabled manually.
Windows update disabled.
Upgrade Assistant Deleted, and replaced with junk files that no user has write permissions to.
HOSTS file has been modified to block all Microsoft IP ranges, with exceptions only for OFFICE365 Auth.

O&O Shutup10 has been run.
DestroyWindows10Spying has been run - https://github.com/Nummer/Destroy-Windows-10-Spying
Spybot Anti-Becon has been run.
My connection is forced to be 'Metered' in windows.

Suddenly?

This new service exists, and I get a popup informing me I have 25 minutes before a forced reboot to the latest version.
WITH NO CANCEL BUTTON... STILL! (didn't they get sued for this?)

Seriously, the FUCK?!~

We can't defer patches, because our company bought the PROFESSIONAL version. You know? The one for PROFESSIONALS! That comes with Candy Crush and Minecraft?
Oh, a charity organization is meant to purchase ENTERPRISE? ah, no. Fuck that.

Normally I'm fairly laid back about this; Windows will do, what Windows will do. I get it.
But they've literally taken the ability to stop it away.
I had used every conceivable (legitimate) option, paired with every 3rd part hack tool I could find to disable this, and fucking what?! Nope. No option anymore.

I wondered what was eating away at my theoretical metered connection.

Frustrating....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just disable the "Windows Update" service. I've done that on some machines - because the Windows updates were breaking a particular piece of software at work.

And we can't move to Linux anyway at work as everything we use is pretty much Windows only.

Edited by Jeruselem

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

Just disable the "Windows Update" service. I've done that on some machines - because the Windows updates were breaking a particular piece of software at work.

And we can't move to Linux anyway at work as everything we use is pretty much Windows only.

Windows update disabled.

Can't disable what i've already said i've disabled.

To be fair, you didn't clarify whether you'd disabled the exe or service.

And when you want the damn thing to actually update...

More often than not you have to tell it to check for updates multiple times before it says no more are available.  And despite having so-called good integragration between the OS and 3rd party AV products, they still often block Windows updates and produce obscure error messages that give you little clue to the cause.
At last got my work MBP up to release 1803 after having to disable Avast for it to install successfully.

On 8/19/2018 at 11:33 PM, Rybags said:

And when you want the damn thing to actually update...

Yup.

They really need to work on the ease of downloading monthly cumulative updates.

I know they HAVE them, but they seem to fail or inaccessible more often than not, when doing ti the manual exe way.

Tried either of these methods?

https://hmemcpy.com/2015/04/preventing-a-certain-windows-update-from-installing-on-windows-10/

I had to use this app to hide updates to the Intel UHD device in my Surface Book 2, because the update keeps breaking Windows Hello (great software/hardware integration!). This allowed me to mute that update in Windows Update, I assume if you go the more complicated method with the Powershell there will be a way to block updates completely.

On 8/27/2018 at 8:00 AM, Mademan said:

I had to use this app to hide updates to the Intel UHD device in my Surface Book 2, because the update keeps breaking Windows Hello (great software/hardware integration!). This allowed me to mute that update in Windows Update, I assume if you go the more complicated method with the Powershell there will be a way to block updates completely.

Maybe? But Its not actually a 'Windows Update' It's a security update delivered through an unrelated background service.

What really, REALLY, makes me boil, is when you make a change, only to get "Access is denied".
You're Local Admin.
In Safe Mode.
WHY IS ACCESS DENIED.
WHO IS THE ADMINISTRATOR IF NOT ME!?