Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
nickeax

Do own many things that others wouldn't?

Is your world unique or can it be store bought by anyone? This post is inspired by an old 1970s series hosted by James Burke called, connections. It's a really great program where James started at one item and ended up at another, exploring the series of events and people that connected the items. In one episode, he poses a question similar to my thread title. That was in the late 70s, and he seemed a little bit concerned that the developed world was losing its identity. 

How about now then?

Richard Hammond has hosted a modern day remake of that show.

But the question - unclear.  I've got various old things that you've not been able to get in stores for a long time but mainly 80s computers and consoles.

I have quite a few unique things. Knives, spoons, espresso tamp, and tools including a very cool hammer, all made by my brother. Lots of ceramics from friends. Have made my own ceramics, furniture, tools, an air conditioner. My instruments are also unique - can't really be otherwise with a bamboo flute.

Even out of the store bought stuff I have, I often tweak or modify it in some way, and repair things when they break. I'm loathe to buy things that are unnecessary, or that I can find or make myself. Equally loathe to throw away things that can be fixed.

Some of the stuff my brother made...

IMG_4070.JPG

IMG_4073.JPG

IMG_5945.JPG

IMG_6891.JPG

Posted (edited)

probably my entire collection of flying things, and then there's all the necessary tools for old school production : razor blade plane / balsa stripper / and many more too weird to explain

then there's all the paraphernalia to control them - radios / speed controllers / motors / servos / dinky connectors and whatnot

just a small selection :

binary 138 small.jpg

IMG_2640a.jpg

IMG_0753a.jpg

IMG_1990 (small).jpg

Edited by scruffy1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Nice hammer - brass head?
There's a trick for loose fitting hammer heads that I've wanted to try - soak in engine coolant.

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

I've got various old things that you've not been able to get in stores for a long time

you mean like Best Before 2008 sauces?  :P

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Nice hammer - brass head?
There's a trick for loose fitting hammer heads that I've wanted to try - soak in engine coolant.

Forged 4140 steel.

My brother agrees that engine coolant can do the job. He uses linseed oil or kerosene.

Trying to think...

Not many people would have Class T monoblock amps I guess and mine are unique in that I I did quite a bit of modifying on them, completely invalidated the warranty but it hardly mattered, the company went broke.

I have this very large collection of cat figurines from all over the world, it's sort of a ritual every time I travel anywhere to go find one so essentially irreplaceable.

I'm sure there are other things but ever since my disastrous move at the beginning of the year I've had real trouble finding things. That removalist was hopeless...

Cheers

The ancient best before stuff is gone (I think).

Far from unique but my electric frying pan is probably near 50 years old.  Still goes though the thermostat plug is a bit off.

My upright bass isn't particularly unique, in the sense others were made with that shape and materials. But I'd be surprised if any of the others had been modified by luthiers like mine, to fit an extra string.

Does that make it meaningfully unique?

Posted (edited)

5 from 4 string, or 4 from 3? I used to own an 1873 Rubner, beautiful old thing. Neville Whitehead had done his thing to it though, which kept it functional, but made it rather difficult to play. In fact I was standing behind it for the Atomic Nekkid competition v2!

Edited by komuso

5-from-4. Some 20 years old from Romania, nice curved front and back.

My world is mostly store bought. Some of it bought new and some bought 'pre-loved' 😉 with that, there is one or two bespoke pieces. I'd say that pretty much identifies with this time period.

Most of my gear is mass produced store bought stuff with little identity, and attempting to change that.

I have a number of more defined items that were bought but are hand made and/or customised. 

Some of my furniture was made by me (or my dad), and I am progressively replacing all the mass produced photo prints around the house with originals paintings or personal photos.

I've got a Rena Ware pan and a full HobbyTex kit. Does that count ?

My mum used to be a Hobbytex hostess !

I think most of what everyone has is going to be from commercial sources. Obtaining new copies of said items, however, might be near impossible - like out of print paperbacks, for instance.

Something almost everyone will have that is unique to them will be their collection of photographs.

Personally, I've had a couple of major furnishings custom made for this house, but they don't look obviously bespoke. I also have a couple of trinkets  you can't just buy off the shelf that were basically participation rewards - you could get copies made, but it wouldn't have the emotional tie.

We all probably have a few things that are fairly unique but most of my stuff would also be garbage.

Probably the thing I'm most proud of is a fairly extensive Isaac Asimov book collection.  Not even half way though - he wrote or edited about 500 books and I would barely have 200 I think.  Still, a large chunk of that 500 is anthologies he edited or other texts he lent his name to where he was just one contributor, so I probably have most of his wholly original work.