chrisg

So, apparently I had a heart attack...

To be more correct a pulmonary embolism although I really don't see much difference.

It began a few weeks back when I was in hospital for pneumonia, a rather serious case of it.

I was about to be discharged when they ran a final CTI and found a blood clot on my lung, it had not been there a couple of weeks before when I was admitted. So back to the ward for a few days of twice daily injections then shifted to Warfrin ,aka rat poison before discharge into the care of my GP. He really had little time for Warfin so shifted me onto rivaroxaban. Both are blood thinners but the latter does not require daily checkups.

Initially the dose was a little high, one minor knock on an elbow and I bled all night, a common side effect. That has now been adjusted and we wait and see.

The good news is that the so-called silent attack did no discernible damage and the clot is slowly fading but it will be a while apparently until I get the all clear.

I probably should not be too surprised, at my age, cardiac issues are quite common in my family around now but a shock nonetheless.

I'll get over it, rather determined to do so but not real happy about it.

Cheers

• Confused 1

Fuck!!  Glad you seem to be getting over it with no real ill effects.

We're all getting old  ?

take some care chrisg.

Someone asked me yesterday how I was going, I responded ... "I'm going very frugally ".  which means boringly . for me, it seems to work re the whole waking up each day thing

?

Thanks all ?

Live one day at a time eh Ev? ? A motto that I live by ?

Smokes are fine Ry, gave up ages ago, have the odd social puff but stopped worrying about it years ago ?

It is my birthday but for complicated reason,s family related, I get to celebrate it big time next weekend in Adelaide with my mother and my siblings being it is her birthday on Monday - I was very nearly her 21st birthday present - that that did not happen she has been eternally grateful ?

Take care all ?

Cheers

Edited by chrisg
simple double up on well wishes :)

The human body is the best argument against Intelligent Design and for the blind endless tinkering of evolution possible. ?

Congratulations on punching the Reaper in the socket, Chris.  Boney ol' fugger gets us all in the end anyway - might as well make 'im wait.

nah, pulmonary embolus is a good example of clever design

if systemic clots didn't get strained out in the smaller vessels of the lungs, then the next point of call is cerebral circulation

so, a non-fatal p.e., or a non-fatal stroke... i know which one is more survivable without persistent damage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

if systemic clots didn't get strained out in the smaller vessels of the lungs, then the next point of call is cerebral circulation

so, a non-fatal p.e., or a non-fatal stroke... i know which one is more survivable without persistent damage

Hmm,

Thanks for clarifying that Scruffy, it had me a little confused.

The doc now has me on 20mg a day of rivaroxaban and I've stopped bleeding at the least little knock so presumably he has it at about the right dose now.

Keep getting conflicting information though. The doc says the stuff won't have any affect on the clots themselves, the pharmacist who I trust a great deal says it does contribute to dissolving the clots.

Well, having another scan this week so we shall see - at this rate I'm going to glow in the dark soon, there goes any night stalking ?

Cheers

standard rivaroxaban regime is 15mg twice daily for 3 weeks, then onto 20mg once daily

sad news is that there's no available reversing agent in oz (yet) though one has just been approved in the usa

the trade off in not needing monitoring with blood tests (like good ol' fashioned warfarin, which can be reversed fairly readily) is the unfortunate risk of catastrophic bleeding - okay if you can apply pressure, but in the gut or brain it's very problematic

so, don't fall over and hit your head, or scoff anti-inflammatories

but hey !  you don't get anything for nothing with medication

edit : clots do dissolve themselves, rivaroxaban stops new ones forming as easily, or your blood adding to the clots already there, so the net effect is you lose the clots you have, and don't get new ones, according to science... the harder part is how long you need "cover", which depends on whether you have prior history or family history, and there are a swag of tests to determine genetic clotting tendency that are usually part of the work up

Edited by scruffy1
  • Thanks 1

Damn., Chris, you can't catch a break at the moment. Sorry to hear that, but also glad that it apparently did no damage.

All the best, and a belated wishes for a happy birthday!

4 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

standard rivaroxaban regime is 15mg twice daily for 3 weeks, then onto 20mg once daily

sad news is that there's no available reversing agent in oz (yet) though one has just been approved in the usa

the trade off in not needing monitoring with blood tests (like good ol' fashioned warfarin, which can be reversed fairly readily) is the unfortunate risk of catastrophic bleeding - okay if you can apply pressure, but in the gut or brain it's very problematic.

so, don't fall over and hit your head, or scoff anti-inflammatories

but hey !  you don't get anything for nothing with medication

Yeah Scruffy,

I don't take any anti-inflamatories, in fact I dislike taking medications of any kind but am on two at the moment, the other being Oxybutynin but that one I can get off of in a few weeks.

I am blessed with very fast reflexes so 99% of the time  I catch myself before I hit anything, but it has been simple things like bumping an elbow that have had be bleeding much more than would be normal if at all. The reason my doc had me on the initial higher dose was because it is the standard dose but he thinks my being on warfarin before means maybe I should have been on the lower dose in the first place.

Thanks Stadl, has been a bit of a bugger of a year but you get them sometimes...

Cheers

11 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

Good point.  I was actually being a little more generic than that, though: things like running the blood supply for rods/cones over the top of the retina rather than behind it, or running ingestion and respiration through the same tube, amongst many others.

Hurrah for being alive!

Might put a dint in your travel schedule for a while Chris?