Sign in to follow this  
eveln

Our clean-ish water

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-27/bottled-water-and-why-aussies-still-drink-it/10148130

" Professor Hawkins believes the waste problem does sway some consumers, but water bodies need to encourage people to celebrate being lucky enough to live in a country where good governance leads to a safe [water] supply. "
[emphasis mine]
This is more an article about the use and disposal of plastics ... I just found the above comment a little concerning really ?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-27/an-aboriginal-teen-decides-to-try-fix-contaminated-water/10133842

"The contamination of drinking water has long been a problem in remote towns and Aboriginal communities across especially Western Australia and the Northern Territory.

A report from the WA Auditor-General in 2015 found more than a dozen communities across the state had levels of nitrate higher than was safe for children to drink.

Researchers with the Western Desert Kidney Health Project, led by paediatrician Christine Jeffries-Stokes, in 2016 found a link between water contaminants and kidney disease.

The conclusions of their research, which examined five communities and towns in the Goldfields region of WA, surprised Dr Jeffries-Stokes at the time "

...I'm trying to recall (without google) when it was that a push was made to move the outback communities closer to major townships. I do recall it was said to be about the costs of maintaining basic services for these communities. And, while
that's probably true, it's also a tad simplified and a lot more disingenuous imo. Nothing at all was said about the water supply being polluted (probably, most likely from the mining going on) ... So someone came up with the idea that it'd be cheaper
to move the communities ... strictly speaking that might  be true for the moment. I guess if no one lives there, then the water can't be found to be bad, doesn't matter what happens to the natural ecology either, does it ?

What happens though when that same outback area is needed to house our growing population ? How expensive will it be then ? To truck in bottled water, and soil and well just bloody everything really ?

Edited by eveln

Funny, was just mentioning it to an overseas visitor.

WA water is pretty good really, SA used to be awful, you could literally let a carafe of it stand and see the red dust settle on the bottom. It is much better now they filter it, but at least one of the reservoirs is on chalk - can be a bit startling to see white water come out of the tap sometimes, but it clears quickly.

Cheers

2 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Funny, was just mentioning it to an overseas visitor.

WA water is pretty good really, SA used to be awful, you could literally let a carafe of it stand and see the red dust settle on the bottom. It is much better now they filter it, but at least one of the reservoirs is on chalk - can be a bit startling to see white water come out of the tap sometimes, but it clears quickly.

Cheers

That's because the rivers in SA are loaded with crap the other states (Qld, Vic, NSW) dump into the river before it gets to SA as well.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jeruselem said:

That's because the rivers in SA are loaded with crap the other states (Qld, Vic, NSW) dump into the river before it gets to SA as well.

?

Well, there are few rivers of note in SA, most all of the water comes from the Murray over rather old pipelines with some areas getting the luxury of reservoir water but even those get topped up by Murray water sometimes.

Adelaide does have the Torrens - pretty river but probably not used for drinking and every now and again it gets turned off so they can clear out all the car wrecks that have been dumped there ?

Cheers

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-29/old-mine-that-has-poisoned-creek-and-river-in-north-qld/10133118

" Residents around the Walsh River and Jamie Creek, south-west of Cairns and near the township of Watsonville, have been told not to drink, swim or use the water by the Queensland Government.
The government has tested the site and found the Baal Gammon copper mine, which sits next to the creek, has contaminated the waterway. ...
Leading environmental engineer, RMIT professor Gavin Mudd, says the level of contamination going into the creek and river is among the worst he has ever seen, with aluminium, copper, zinc, and cadmium levels
"thousands of times higher than the concentrations we'd like to see"..
"I certainly wouldn't be drinking it." ...

"It is sort of unbelievable that you've got NSW, half of Queensland in drought," said David Dyer, a Walsh River resident for more than 30 years.

"Here we are, we've got a running river that you can't use.""...

On 8/29/2018 at 6:51 AM, eveln said:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-29/old-mine-that-has-poisoned-creek-and-river-in-north-qld/10133118

" Residents around the Walsh River and Jamie Creek, south-west of Cairns and near the township of Watsonville, have been told not to drink, swim or use the water by the Queensland Government.
The government has tested the site and found the Baal Gammon copper mine, which sits next to the creek, has contaminated the waterway. ...
Leading environmental engineer, RMIT professor Gavin Mudd, says the level of contamination going into the creek and river is among the worst he has ever seen, with aluminium, copper, zinc, and cadmium levels
"thousands of times higher than the concentrations we'd like to see"..
"I certainly wouldn't be drinking it." ...

"It is sort of unbelievable that you've got NSW, half of Queensland in drought," said David Dyer, a Walsh River resident for more than 30 years.

"Here we are, we've got a running river that you can't use.""...

So it's a bit like the Flint River!

https://www.theverge.com/2016/2/26/11117022/flint-michigan-water-crisis-lead-pollution-history