Sign in to follow this  
Cybes

Cyberpunk 2077 - 48 minutes preview!

Maximise everything you can max - except maybe volume!

• Like 1

what a sales pitch!  holy fucking shit. 

and heres the reaction of every other developer/publisher:

Posted (edited)

Wicked.

Nice to see some of the best old school gameplay in there vs a lot of the boring modern crap.

It will be interesting to see how they can improve on the graphics\lighting that's is lacking a bit in some places.

Had a good laugh about the guy continuing to complain about his legs after his head was gone.

Edited by Dasa

41 minutes ago, Dasa said:

Nice to see some of the best old school gameplay in there vs a lot of the boring modern crap.

I played just a few games of Cyberpunk back in the day.  It always bothered me that the closest I could get to it in computer gaming was *not* Cyberpunk - just kinda in the genre: the Deus Ex games being closest, but still a long way off;  Shadowrun being in some ways closer, but also much much further away in others.

This looks like it's going to scratch that itch, finally.  ('Course it should with Pondsmith on board.)

the illusion of a living breathing autonomous world is what i care about the most.   there isnt nearly enough of this!

the baseball park town (Diamond City) in Fallout 4 had some brief moments of glory that elevated the game to another level.  but theres always a honeymoon period before all further interactions begin to chip away at the illusion.  the rabbit warren of streets, full of spectacle and possibility at first, soon have their underlying smallness laid bare.   those dark alleys, go nowhere really.  the range of encounters you can have with characters descends into a tired set of categories and cliches.   open world games tend to present you with a hundred different colours of icecream when theres only really a handful of flavours.

this is unavoidable, of course.  its a huge amount of work.  but little things can count for so much when it comes to keeping the magic curtain hidden.  for instance, theres times when you return to Diamond City to find that specific news of your mis/deeds has changed the incidental dialogue spouted by passers by.  i find this sort of thing is a huge boost of mileage when my suspension of disbelief is running on empty.  games are getting so much better at presenting a wealth of fine touches.  the kiss of death, though, is hearing the same sound bites from the same people over and over again.

laziness with canned dialogue is something that has always bothered me.  more, more, more variation please!  youve already got the actors in the booth, the resource requirements are small in terms of data and processing (playing compressed audio). theres maybe the odd animation requirement too, but even a random round robin of recycled gestures + lazy automatic lip syncing would go a looooong way. 

in terms of expansiveness this Cyberpunk game looks next level.  those city streets, woah!   sure, its a carefully curated piece of gameplay, but across 48 minutes... seems legit.

As apposed to what turn based top down like Xcom or third person?

Cant say I like third person myself as a PC gamer but it seems to suit consoles.