Sign in to follow this  
Cybes

Cyberpunk 2077 - 48 minutes preview!

Maximise everything you can max - except maybe volume!

• Like 1

Wicked.

Nice to see some of the best old school gameplay in there vs a lot of the boring modern crap.

It will be interesting to see how they can improve on the graphics\lighting that's is lacking a bit in some places.

Had a good laugh about the guy continuing to complain about his legs after his head was gone.

Edited by Dasa

41 minutes ago, Dasa said:

Nice to see some of the best old school gameplay in there vs a lot of the boring modern crap.

I played just a few games of Cyberpunk back in the day.  It always bothered me that the closest I could get to it in computer gaming was *not* Cyberpunk - just kinda in the genre: the Deus Ex games being closest, but still a long way off;  Shadowrun being in some ways closer, but also much much further away in others.

This looks like it's going to scratch that itch, finally.  ('Course it should with Pondsmith on board.)

the illusion of a living breathing autonomous world is what i care about the most.   there isnt nearly enough of this!

the baseball park town (Diamond City) in Fallout 4 had some brief moments of glory that elevated the game to another level.  but theres always a honeymoon period before all further interactions begin to chip away at the illusion.  the rabbit warren of streets, full of spectacle and possibility at first, soon have their underlying smallness laid bare.   those dark alleys, go nowhere really.  the range of encounters you can have with characters descends into a tired set of categories and cliches.   open world games tend to present you with a hundred different colours of icecream when theres only really a handful of flavours.

this is unavoidable, of course.  its a huge amount of work.  but little things can count for so much when it comes to keeping the magic curtain hidden.  for instance, theres times when you return to Diamond City to find that specific news of your mis/deeds has changed the incidental dialogue spouted by passers by.  i find this sort of thing is a huge boost of mileage when my suspension of disbelief is running on empty.  games are getting so much better at presenting a wealth of fine touches.  the kiss of death, though, is hearing the same sound bites from the same people over and over again.

laziness with canned dialogue is something that has always bothered me.  more, more, more variation please!  youve already got the actors in the booth, the resource requirements are small in terms of data and processing (playing compressed audio). theres maybe the odd animation requirement too, but even a random round robin of recycled gestures + lazy automatic lip syncing would go a looooong way. 

in terms of expansiveness this Cyberpunk game looks next level.  those city streets, woah!   sure, its a carefully curated piece of gameplay, but across 48 minutes... seems legit.

As apposed to what turn based top down like Xcom or third person?

Cant say I like third person myself as a PC gamer but it seems to suit consoles.

On 9/15/2018 at 7:18 AM, Dasa said:

As apposed to what turn based top down like Xcom or third person?

Cant say I like third person myself as a PC gamer but it seems to suit consoles.

I like the Elder Scrolls approach, pop in and out of 1st 3 rd person at will.

That said, that Cyberpunk 2077 Game Play is 1st person only won't stop me from playing it.

😎

• Like 1

Personally, I think the whole purpose of a RPG especially is immersion, and that breaks immediately if your view is not as you would see it - ie: 1st person. 

There are times that a 3p view is more useful (like vehicles), but it still makes me very aware that I'm playing rather than living in it.

35 minutes ago, Cybes said:

Personally, I think the whole purpose of a RPG especially is immersion, and that breaks immediately if your view is not as you would see it - ie: 1st person. 

There are times that a 3p view is more useful (like vehicles), but it still makes me very aware that I'm playing rather than living in it.

I guess it depends if you are playing another character or if you are playing yourself in the situation. Seeing your character could potentially help you remember to keep to their way of thinking rather than your own. 

Just a different perspective I guess. 

6 hours ago, fliptopia said:

Seeing your character could potentially help you remember to keep to their way of thinking rather than your own. 

I guess. But I'm a long-time p&p gamer, where there is no picture at all - staying in character is not hard.

2 hours ago, Cybes said:

I guess. But I'm a long-time p&p gamer, where there is no picture at all - staying in character is not hard.

I'm less long time with p&p (and mostly ipad now) but I'd agree. I was just saying it might work for some people. Personally I'm not all that fussed as long as the mechanics don't get in the way of the game. A well implemented 3rd person is as good as well implemented 1st person 🙂

Truely the thing that 3rd person is best for, is checking out ones powerful and stylish armour, scintillating robes or as in the case of Cyberpunk 2077, ones schmick threads.

I hope the game engine allows accurate self imaging in cut scenes, mirrors and other reflections

Gotta check out ya gladrags.

😎

• Like 1

Third person is also good for watching your characters ass swing from side to side if your into that kinda thing.

19 minutes ago, Dasa said:

Third person is also good for watching your characters ass swing from side to side if your into that kinda thing.

^That is why so many male gamers play female characters.  It ain't for the roleplay.

On 3/28/2019 at 4:05 AM, Cybes said:

If your immersion is broken by going from first-person to third-person, how is it not broken by the fact you're looking through a rectangular window, and effecting change with a mouse/keyboard/controller?

One could argue that the third-person view gives you information about your situation that your body's proprioception would otherwise provide, making you more connected to your avatar, not less.

5 hours ago, SquallStrife said:

If your immersion is broken by going from first-person to third-person, how is it not broken by the fact you're looking through a rectangular window, and effecting change with a mouse/keyboard/controller?

One could argue that the third-person view gives you information about your situation that your body's proprioception would otherwise provide, making you more connected to your avatar, not less.

1. Ultrawide 4k monitor.  It is quite wide enough, at usual viewing distance, to fill central FoV.  The absence of peripheral vision is not terribly noticeable unless you concentrate on it.

2. Given how fubar my walking and balance are, kb/mouse is a significant step up.  Proprioception is something I *used* to have.

On 3/29/2019 at 9:11 PM, Cybes said:

1. Ultrawide 4k monitor.  It is quite wide enough, at usual viewing distance, to fill central FoV.  The absence of peripheral vision is not terribly noticeable unless you concentrate on it.

2. Given how fubar my walking and balance are, kb/mouse is a significant step up.  Proprioception is something I *used* to have.

You're still making concessions though. "Not terribly noticeable" is still noticeable right? And what about the controls?

If your suspension of disbelief overcomes the fact that you literally push buttons to perform every action in the game world, why doesn't it extend to being able to know the situation of your avatar?

I'm not hanging shit, I'm actually curious!

2 hours ago, SquallStrife said:

I'm not hanging shit, I'm actually curious!

Good to know. 😉

Monitor Concession: Not really.  The human eye sees a spot about 1-3cm in diameter at arm's reach - you flick your eyes around a lot and your brain stitches it all together to make a whole picture.  Considering that looking past the edge of the screen usually makes me turn my head (I don't *have* to, but it's automatic), I just have become used to not doing that.

Controls: Mm.  Do you touch-type?  You don't think about what keys you're pressing, or even that you are - you're just putting thoughts on the screen.  Play an instrument?  You aren't thinking about the string or key to manipulate - you're making music happen.  Same thing happens with any control for any game you get into - you stop being aware of how you're doing it, and just do it.

Look, it's probably down to formative training:  I was a gamer before Wolfenstein. Unless you count the side-view fight games, which I don't, games didn't have an avatar at all - if you were lucky there was a hand attached to the portion of weapon you could see.  I wasn't a puppeteer controlling some doll - I *was* Blazkowicz mowing down the Schutzstaffel; that was *me* carving up cacodemons with a chainsaw; *me* getting jumped by headless in the dark warrens under Lord British's castle; me driving/piloting the car/plane...  The only thing that had a "3rd person view" (if you could call it that) were for vehicles (your tank, or your Elite spacecraft).

And yes, I know it wasn't actually me doing any of those things, and it's even one step further removed in the case of the RPGs, but it's still a sense of connection that just plain isn't there with a 3rd person view.  I've played and enjoyed several 3P-only games, but I much prefer 1P for 3D games that aren't overhead/psuedo-isometric.

21 hours ago, Cybes said:

Controls: Mm.  Do you touch-type?  You don't think about what keys you're pressing, or even that you are - you're just putting thoughts on the screen.  Play an instrument?  You aren't thinking about the string or key to manipulate - you're making music happen.  Same thing happens with any control for any game you get into - you stop being aware of how you're doing it, and just do it.

I've never had that experience. I'm a plenty proficient typist, but I'm always acutely aware that I'm "using a keyboard to produce words on-screen", I can't just "forget" that.

Closest I think I get to that kind of loss of awareness is the fact I get motion sickness in VR, but I get motion sickness at the drop of a hat.