Sign in to follow this  
Kothos

What's the cheapest rack-mount RAID you could do?

As a form of procrastination I'm looking at setting up a home file server, and since I have a permanently installed rack, I'd prefer a rack mount set up but it doesn't seem they come cheap.  $3000 for a pre-built system, minimum $800 is all I can find for a 4-bay empty rack.  So say I go for 4x 4Tb drives at $150 each, that's $1400.

Is that about as cheap as I could go with that kind of set up, or are there other options?

The problem I found with rack mounted systems is they're loud.  My goal is a small PC case that sits at the bottom of my rack.

Also, why are you looking at such small drives?  I'm surprised you'd bother with anything smaller than 8TB.

Just trying to save money, and I don't really need that much space. Now that you mention it though, my wife does a lot of graphics and photo work so I probably should look at increasing the space.

Also, how loud is loud? The rack is mounted in the garage, but, it's mounted on the other side of the dining room wall, and there're only 2 sheets of gyprock between it and the room.

On 8/30/2018 at 1:25 PM, Kothos said:

Also, how loud is loud? The rack is mounted in the garage, but, it's mounted on the other side of the dining room wall, and there're only 2 sheets of gyprock between it and the room.

an actual rack mounted hardware device, you'd hear!

Your best bet would be a desktop (lay-flat) PC case and a Rack-Shelf.
From there, an AMD based system with some cheap ECC ram, IronWolf or WD Red drives, and running Nas4Free or FreeNAS depending on your needs.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 10:34 AM, Master_Scythe said:

an actual rack mounted hardware device, you'd hear!

Is it easy enough to look up the decibel specs for different units?  Do they publish that sort of stuff?

I've messed around with enough rack-mounted servers at work to know you don't wan to be used putting one on the same desk as your monitor (especially when they start up, OMG). It's because they use really small fans which have to spin at crazy rates. These are Intel Xeons. They are OK once they are fired up. But they can get a bit noisy under load.