Sign in to follow this  
Kothos

Let me get this straight about Cortana, Alexa and Google Home...

You can install Cortana on Android, iPhone and Windows Mobile phones and tablets, as well as Windows PCs.

You can download Alexa to Android and iDevices, as well as buying a standalone speaker unit.

You can download Google Home only to Android devices, as well as buying a standalone speaker unit.

Am I right or do I not understand this home personal assistant stuff?

Edited by Kothos

Google Home is the device, AFAIK.  Google Assistant is the product.  It's available on iOS devices, and via the SDK you can run it on desktops with probably limited functionality.

Windows mobile is such a small market there's no incentive to put smart home controllers on there, vs MS putting theirs on other platforms (and they also have a large embedded desktop  base, tho' I've never used cortana and have used google assistant)

Ah thanks for the corrections.

I'm trying to get my head around this because I'm thinking of using one.  I think my brother has Alexa but it's mostly just used for voice-activated music streaming.

Cortana seems to have less functionality than the others, but I used to be a huge Halo fan and the truth is I just want to have my own Cortana for no useful reason whatsoever  ?

If you have a windows desktop and an android phone, you can play with them now without buying dedicated hardware ?

Yeah I'm going to download them and see.  Maybe next week, I've procrastinated enough for now!

On 8/30/2018 at 2:26 PM, Kothos said:

Cortana seems to have less functionality than the others, but I used to be a huge Halo fan and the truth is I just want to have my own Cortana for no useful reason whatsoever  ?

Believe it or not, Windows has taken an apple-esque approach with Cortana.
She's learn't how to handle common speech, which is very cool.

For example, say you HAVE purchased into the entire microsoft ecosystem; and you only got one email last week with a DOC attachment, but you can't remember who; this will work.

"Cortana, who sent me an email with a Word attachment last week?"
That was Mr x
"Great, reply and let him know I'll be at his place tomorrow"
I have told him you will visit tomorrow.

Of course, if you use things like Thunderbird for mail, this stops being so useful.

Google on the other hand handles common questions much better, and IMO is the less cool, but more useful assistant.
Siri will try to web search every god damn thing, and Cortana loves BING for obvious reasons....
However Google Assistant will provide relevant data from direct questions very reliably.
It's also a lot more useful if you're a G-Suite user (gmail, google calendar, etc); and while I don't trust anyone with that shit really; I'd prefer google with their 'opt out' options than Microsofts 'shut up, we're taking control!' attitude.

Off topic;

did you know AI is now doing bug testing for updates to windows? The human element for software progression\approval is almost removed?
Literally getting skynetty.

Wait, you can't set an assistant to use the search engine of your choice, like you can with a web browser?

And no I didn't specifically know about the AI bug testing (although I suspected things were moving along those lines).  It will be interesting the kind of world we leave our children.

On 9/6/2018 at 11:57 PM, Kothos said:

Wait, you can't set an assistant to use the search engine of your choice, like you can with a web browser? 

When you're going into the smart home ecosystem, you just need to accept thats the ecosystem.

If you're apple, you use apple gear.

If you like cortana, you use microsoft and Bing.

If you like google, then it's google.