NZT48

money

8 minutes ago, ResidentNeville said:

I am not meaning to backup Nich... everywhere. But it is very funny that Nich... suggests that plastic pollution and super market bags are not relevant to this discussion about money, and Atomic's response was to bring up how nappies were better back in the day.

We're a tight knit community of like... 20 at most these days.

Give us a chance, and we'll happily ramble about anything.

11 minutes ago, ResidentNeville said:

I am not meaning to backup Nich... everywhere. But it is very funny that Nich... suggests that plastic pollution and super market bags are not relevant to this discussion about money, and Atomic's response was to bring up how nappies were better back in the day.

?

I was just musing RN, but if threads don't drift in Atomic then the thread is going to die, rather quickly.

We are a sometimes crazy discussion forum, discussions drift, usually to keep them interesting ?

Cheers

2 hours ago, chrisg said:

I babysit a couple of very young kids from time to time, have had to keep some cloth nappies around and explain to their mothers why it is a better way to go.

You probably want to look into the  bamboo fibre reusable ones, they're a lot more absorbant than old cloth and terry towel ones, and also don't need a waterproof barrier.

39 minutes ago, Nich... said:

You probably want to look into the  bamboo fibre reusable ones, they're a lot more absorbant than old cloth and terry towel ones, and also don't need a waterproof barrier.

Hmm,

Yes, have tried them, kids after a couple of washes, no detergent left in them, complain they are "itchy" delicate skin on small kids, cotton is still better - may change, but for now I have well over a  couple of years worth of cotton ones, actually they have on looking a wool component, probably even more comfortable ?

The biggest problem is teaching a mother how to pin them - more than one foreskin has ended up pinned to the nappy, not with any I have dealt with I hasten to add but it has been reported.

Never quite understood it, stick your hand down the front between kid and nappy - worst case is you prick yourself, and I have, a couple of times ?

Cheers

20 hours ago, eveln said:

also, you can buy cheap gold jewellery at most of the large  chain stores so this idea that all gold jewellery is marked up by 3 times or whatever is another one of those quirky catch - phrases

Nope, if it was gold it'd be too soft to wear long term.

its plated or a composite.

1 hour ago, Master_Scythe said:

Nope, if it was gold it'd be too soft to wear long term.

its plated or a composite.

well yes. in most chain stores you are today looking at a lot of 9k jewellery and that's thanks to the rising cost of gold and the lack of rising in salaries and wages... but you are not looking at overrated prices any more ... and thankfully there are other places to buy jewellery
with a higher gold content like 18k ( which most working jewellers like to work with, still. we don't deal a lot in 22 or 24k here in Aus, but it's quite common in Europe and Asia, and of course we must not leave Emirates out. A gold bar isn't even 100% .

I've seen and handled ( not mine unfortunately ) some beautiful European 22k jewellery that will stand the test of centuries, pretty much like some of the pieces archaeologists are some times lucky enough to find .

The bamboo reusables I've used and friends and family have used are basically a liner that sit inside a fairly soft outer layer with studs.  No risks of pinning a kid.

talking shit with chrisg, apparently

Which I'm kind of ok with because most of this thread has been someone talking shit of one kind or another, as much as the jewellery interlude was interesting (and I'm surprised you never talk about it more).

Anyway, to get more specific, this is the closest I can find: https://www.bambooty.com.au/packages/trial-package/trial-package-newborn-small

6 minutes ago, Nich... said:

The bamboo reusables I've used and friends and family have used are basically a liner that sit inside a fairly soft outer layer with studs.  No risks of pinning a kid.

Yes,

I've seen those, haven't tried them, hard enough getting a wriggly kid into a nappy, let alone adding a liner ?

Being the oldest of five and God alone knows how many in the extended family quite apart from baby sitting I have no idea how many nappies I've changed, they all wriggle ?

I just find it cute, and as a tip to anyone yet to do it a tickle before the change works wonders ?

Cheers

The easy ones are the ones that want potty training asap ?

2 minutes ago, Nich... said:

?

How true... although mostly  they piss on you, I swear some of them could stand in for the piss boy in Brussels, fountains laying on their backs and giggling ?

Cheers

2 minutes ago, Nich... said:

?

How true... although mostly  they piss on you, I swear some of them could stand in for the piss boy in Brussels, fountains laying on their backs and giggling ?

Cheers

lol. I'm usually one to read the missed bits of a thread ...must have been instinct that tried to spare me this time ?

6 hours ago, Kothos said:

I've already seen people putting reusable shopping bags in the bin. Experience with other states shows I think a 15% or 30% reduction of shopping bags in the environment? I honestly don't know if that's good enough, considering the reusable bags are less biodegradable.

Those reusable "fabric" bags tear after a couple of worthy shops and are to my knowledge definitely not biodegradable.

5 hours ago, chrisg said:

?

I have noticed that cheap "gold" jewellery in some places Ev, I more than suspect that it is low carat and an alloy, usually with copper I think. One girl I know had one of the cheap rings, in short order she had green marks under the ring on her finger. Real gold jewellery, usually 18 carat, does have a high markup but it is somewhat more complex than that. A manufacturing jeweler will tell you the markup is to cover his/her time and overhead, which is probably true but there still has to be a significant profit margin, you don't see jewelry shops going out of business too often...

Otherwise utterly agree with your comments, real gold jewelry in most countries has been manufactured from assayed gold and is indeed stamped to define what carat rating the gold used complies to.

Cheers

real gold is used in all the karat weights of jewellery, the amount differs is all.

a manufacturing jeweller has a cost of living to deal with just like the rest of us.  Go look in your still open jewellery shops and see what level of stock they carry today, that's if they still be open that is.

13 hours ago, eveln said:

Those reusable "fabric" bags tear after a couple of worthy shops and are to my knowledge definitely not biodegradable.

As per my previous post, I assure you, they ARE biodegradable in the WORST way.
Untouchable confetti dust after less than 10 years. It's shithouse

If they tear or break, coles\woolworths (at least in Brisbane) swap them for free.

Still hate the fuckers.
Still use the free bags from the fruit aisle.

3 hours ago, Master_Scythe said:

As per my previous post, I assure you, they ARE biodegradable in the WORST way.
Untouchable confetti dust after less than 10 years. It's shithouse

If they tear or break, coles\woolworths (at least in Brisbane) swap them for free.

Still hate the fuckers.
Still use the free bags from the fruit aisle.

?

I think Ev was talking about the more expensive fabric bags that I have a few of. I don't think they even existed a decade ago. I thought you were talking about the now extinct free thin grey checkout bags.

I haven't had any of the fabric ones break yet, but I tend to shop little and often, so rarely much weight in there.

Just had a closer look at one, the handles are pretty flimsy.

What I need to do is rearrange my travel kit so my knapsack is free and just use that for shopping ?

Cheers