Sign in to follow this  
i_am_banned2

Is It Just Me Or Is The Green Room Trying To Kill My CPU?

0lDMxzx.jpg

It only happens on this site - I've enabled AdBlock and No Coin and neither have had any effect. Please don't fry my CPU, Atomic...

I mentioned it also and stuub27 has the same.

I tested further on other machines and browsers.  Same deal with Win7 and 10, Firefox, Chrome or Edge.
Funnily enough IE doesn't suffer.  I suspect possibly because it's JavaScript has tie-ins with power management which gives some tuning ability.

It's possible that the problem is external - but I played around with NoScript filtering with particular attention to the Google sites Nich mentioned but I didn't obtain any positive results.

Known issue, as per new forum thread in feedback, still no idea if it's a bad ad, or a cryptomining hijack. 

Can't do much about it other than to suggest running an ad-blocker for now.

So that's why the exhaust from my computer is so hot. Same thing happening with Opera with working ad-blocker here.

Firefox is using 66% CPU, and this is a flipping Intel 7700HQ with 8 cores. And it's not youtube either ...

A Cryptomine hijack sounds real plausible.

I've found that it's tended to use whatever CPU you have spare.  And not in a passive fashion, often to the point of causing mouse jitter which is annoying as frig.

This address is suspicious

static.77.47.201.195.clients.your-server.de = 195.201.47.77 = Address linked German ISP Hetzner Online GmbH

1 minute ago, Nich... said:

What's calling it?

Firefox, the browser. So it's embedded on the forum. I don't get that address when I'm on other sites

'Firefox', and 'the forums' aren't useful in my trying to fix it, tho'.

53 minutes ago, Nich... said:

'Firefox', and 'the forums' aren't useful in my trying to fix it, tho'.

The cryptominer is attached to the page so the CPU usage is attributed to the browser you use. When I stopped viewing the atomic web site, the CPU dropped back to normal. It's obviously a CPU based one as my Firefox is GPU accelerated and the GPU was not affected.

I have MalwareBytes Premium on this laptop as well and it sometimes flags my Ethereum miner is crypto mining. It has no picked up the one on this forum so this must a new type.

Edited by Jeruselem

Found a solution:

For Firefox (and possibly Chrome) using the Adblock Plus extension (does anyone not use it?) -
In the settings - General -> Privacy and Security - tick "Block Additional Tracking"

The social media tracking setting shoudn't matter.  I've also got Avast's Online Security extension enabled but I don't think it makes any difference one way or the other.

That seems to work ... yes I have Ad block but didn't have that checked. One of the advertisers suspect have been compromised.

Edited by Jeruselem

I bet one of the advertisers has been crypto-miner.js infected.

No harm to your PC, but while you have the page loaded, it's mining for them.

We're technically not meant to have an advertiser at the moment, so I've been given the unofficial word that encouraging ad blocking is a-ok.

I haven't particularly played around with customising ublock on firefox, but it seems to have blocked it without my intervention, irrespective of what I have told noscript to do.

There's a lot of web sites which pop up some annoying message to turn off the blocker on their web site, I understand why because they want to keep their advertisers happy. But those same  ads are a point where you get some nasty 3rd party attack.

MalwareBytes now detects that Malware, but it would be nice if the web site people could actually get offending ad fixed?

Atomicmalware.thumb.png.a5b40369498e8b8a91d240d4a3c69b95.png

Google needs to pull their finger out and disable ads that do it, regardless if compromised by outside sources or intentional by the advertiser.  But of course that'd eat into their profits.

On 9/17/2018 at 12:32 PM, Rybags said:

Google needs to pull their finger out and disable ads that do it, regardless if compromised by outside sources or intentional by the advertiser.  But of course that'd eat into their profits.

Google has SO MUCH advertising sway, advertisers should be required to only provide static images, or text links.

If they want MORE than that, google should provide the dynamic service to ensure that shit doesnt happen.

Also, ty Jeruselem, 56446 blocked now