Sign in to follow this  
littlejacket92

What make a good web design?

Hello, I'm here with a big question about " what make a good web design". It need to be simple or more complicated with mix of text and picture, or something. Someone ask me to suggest changes that this website need . here is the website address: https://savvycomsoftware.com/ . But It's really a harder question. The website look so simple, with more image that it's not needed. But I know you guys has good view in this jobs, so can you please look inside it and help me. my view is not good in designing. If guys here can help me, it could be best for me. Sorry for any inconvenience to disturb your free time or something like that. 

Someone asked you to suggest changes your website needs?

9 hours ago, Nich... said:

Someone asked you to suggest changes your website needs?

Yeah. I have a few suggestion , but it's not enough, not cover the problems that website has. So i post here, hope that you guys can help me.

What makes a bad webpage design?

http://www.jaycar.com.au

I don't like stuff on webpages that activates on hover.  I hate cascading multi-level menus that work the way they do on this site.
It's like playing a stupid game of Surgeon, if you happen to stray the pointer outside the menu, the whole thing collapses back to nothing.
For extra annoyance factor they have a pointless popup descriptor that just repeats what you're pointing to and obstructs other text in the process.

OK fair enough, you can navigate through the site using more traditional means but that involves an entire page load for each step of the process.

Other sites like Harvey Norman, The Good Guys, JBHiFi, BingLee use a similar approach but at least in the case of all except TGG, they cascade in one step to the entire submenu structure.
TGG has a similar annoying multilevel approach but at least they dedicate more space to the items making it less likely for the pointer to stray and collapse everything down again.

Other stuff I don't like:
- the never ending webpage with "More" button at the bottom.  Extra pain factor for the ones that load about 1.25 screen's worth of new items each time instead of 2 or more.
- pictures that zoom when you hover - see http://nrl.com for that.
- multi-level parallax scrolling pages.  Please, that was impressive in the late 80s with videogames but now it's just old and mostly pointless for webpages.
- overuse of animations and videos, especially autoplay stuff.
- forcing the user to do multiple clicks and page transitions to get somewhere that should only take 1 or 2 selections (e.g. most sites where you download stuff)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Rybags said:

What makes a bad webpage design?

http://www.jaycar.com.au

I don't like stuff on webpages that activates on hover.  I hate cascading multi-level menus that work the way they do on this site.
It's like playing a stupid game of Surgeon, if you happen to stray the pointer outside the menu, the whole thing collapses back to nothing.
For extra annoyance factor they have a pointless popup descriptor that just repeats what you're pointing to and obstructs other text in the process.

OK fair enough, you can navigate through the site using more traditional means but that involves an entire page load for each step of the process.

Other sites like Harvey Norman, The Good Guys, JBHiFi, BingLee use a similar approach but at least in the case of all except TGG, they cascade in one step to the entire submenu structure.
TGG has a similar annoying multilevel approach but at least they dedicate more space to the items making it less likely for the pointer to stray and collapse everything down again.

Other stuff I don't like:
- the never ending webpage with "More" button at the bottom.  Extra pain factor for the ones that load about 1.25 screen's worth of new items each time instead of 2 or more.
- pictures that zoom when you hover - see http://nrl.com for that.
- multi-level parallax scrolling pages.  Please, that was impressive in the late 80s with videogames but now it's just old and mostly pointless for webpages.
- overuse of animations and videos, especially autoplay stuff.
- forcing the user to do multiple clicks and page transitions to get somewhere that should only take 1 or 2 selections (e.g. most sites where you download stuff)

thanks for your comment. I partly understand what i should suggest to not become a bad website design. Really I agree with you in some points.