Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
chrisg

Very unwell family

I'm in Adelaide, arrived Tuesday night, but very late and a blur of family activity so only just logged on.

My mother, who is 87, is in hospital, went from emergency to ICU and now on a ward on oxygen and intravenous antibiotics plus nebuliser.

She can barely walk but thought she was ok to go home yesterday - silly woman, she'd be back there within 24 hours but the doctors were very firm with her. She'll be there for days, I'm looking after her place and her cats.

One of my sisters has terminal cancer, she is 4 hours drive away. If I were not grounded I'd borrow an airplane but will have to find another way.

One of my brothers has type 2 diabetes but seems to be managing it well.

Makes my pneumonia recovery trivial by comparison, I'm well on the mend.

No idea how long I'll be here, up until mum can actually be released plus a few days I expect - been a year...

Cheers

Rough set of conditions there. Hope things work out ok.

Yell out if you need help with anything - or just need a distraction for a bit.

Thanks guys,

Unfortunately Scruffy I'm not sure it will in either case.

My mother is very old, has pneumonia, low oxygen level, a lung infection that is being obnstinate and now has some gastro problem, her immune system is very compromised but she still wants to live independently - I very much doubt that she ever will be able again. She had the chance a couple of a ago to move to a village with very good support but at the last minute backed out. THEN she was moderately independent, now she is anything but and high care facilities are much more difficult to find.

My sister I very much doubt it this side of going into respite. She is on morphine patches and the tumor has spread.

I will very likely take you up on that stadl, you may have to pick me up for a beer at the end of the street here but I've wanted to see that car of yours for a while anyway ?

Will pm you my mobile and my email address. ?

Cheers

Not good.

But yeah, at least make the most of being away from home for a while.

Sympathies, Chris. ?  Not a damned thing I can do for you, and I really don't want to do the "thoughts and prayers" insincere crap.

In all probability, I'm only about a decade behind you.

That sucks dude, I hope things go well.

Dare I say it, but those kind of circumstances seem in store for all of us, eventually.

Thanks again guys.

Not much I can do apart from be here really Cybes, but there was no way I was not going to come over.

Cheers

shit, have only just seen this ? sorry to hear it ? sometimes all you can do is just to "be there" - sending good thoughts for you and your family!

True Cisco, even if mother does drive me nuts ?

Been here three weeks, back to Perth to pack on Friday then move here.

Need to find some work, S.A. looks pretty good in that regard, your Canberra gig sounds pretty good, if I get some cash coming in may take a visit over there, been a bit too long and I quite like the place.

Take care,

Cheers