Sign in to follow this  
nickeax

Everything in it's right place.

Surely Kid A will become more and more highly regarded with the passing of time. Thom Yorke struggling to play the main synthesiser part for the opening track is very powerful and gutsy and a sound choice.

ha! ironic comma

saying this album was ahead of its time is kind of passé.  but its still true enough.

definitely a shock to the system at the time.  the 90s equivalent [oops! released in 2000 - Ed.] of Dylan going electric is maybe overstating it, but it took a while to grow on many, myself included.  and maybe it will last forever.  i find the stuff that grows on you the slowest tends to.

Edited by @~thehung

4 hours ago, @~thehung said:

definitely a shock to the system at the time.  the 90s equivalent [oops! released in 2000 - Ed.] of Dylan going electric is maybe overstating it, but it took a while to grow on many, myself included.  and maybe it will last forever.  i find the stuff that grows on you the slowest tends to.

Oddly enough, I really liked it the first time I heard it, but got very very sick of it within a week.  That undoubtably had a lot to do with the media oversaturating the hell out of it (as usual), but I was already starting to be get annoyed with it by my third listen.

Is the clip posted by @~thehung the one in which the "powerful and very gutsy" playing is happening ? ... I did listen to it ...

ha ! actually an apostrophe

but i get the idea

having read wiki about them, and despite loving nearly everyone they name as influences, i remain underwhelmed

i only listened to (some of)  ok computer a few months ago, and it doesn't do it for me

i did however quite like "creep" back in the day, although i understand die-hard radiohead fans think that was an aberration and not representative (a bit grunge i feel)

maybe i'll try another session

8 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

ha ! actually an apostrophe

but i get the idea

having read wiki about them, and despite loving nearly everyone they name as influences, i remain underwhelmed

i only listened to (some of)  ok computer a few months ago, and it doesn't do it for me

i did however quite like "creep" back in the day, although i understand die-hard radiohead fans think that was an aberration and not representative (a bit grunge i feel)

maybe i'll try another session

ha!  shit is an apostrophe dammit

radiohead's music fits a sort of mentality, and i am not talking about facile outward identification as a fan.  if you arent afflicted with it, you probably won't 'get it' — much like most genres.  while thats a bit (a lot) overblown, subjectively, they are more like their own genre to me than a band.

the earlier and more rockier songs lend themselves to superficial listening, while more than half the rest can sound dank and depressing if consumed that way.  ...just hours and hours of Thom Yorke rhythmically moaning because he has a tummy ache or something thats making him too weak to saw through his wrist with the blunt end of a plastic butter knife.

to be overly reductive; there's emotional landscapes here that are only known to disassociative and introverted types.  but at the same time, theres too much pathos and verve for mere self-pitying misanthropy. its a bit like how in a blues/soul song you can find solace for your broken heartedness and be uplifted by an expression of its universality — radiohead's more melancholic songs tap into a similar thing, only there's usually a more cerebral vibe.

to my mind, theirs is the kind of art where part of the appeal lies in recognition that everything, down to the smallest detail of musicality, is usually that way because it was deliberately handcrafted as such.  its delight in things being just so, the subtle juxtapositions and symmetries in the tapestry.  if you notice it, it wasnt an accident.  theres songs ive heard hundreds of times that i am still mining fresh 'aha' moments from.

remember this post of yours?  on the surface, a fairly plodding video of some old guys dyeing fabrics.  but i would argue there's a deeper appreciation to be had, to which its languid editing and looooong moments of near silence are key, which depends on some kind of affinity with a Zen-like sensibility.  is that wankery?  i dont think so.  but it can be read that way.  much like snobs waxing lyrical about radiohead's oh so deep and complex music.

as for your best hope of appreciating radiohead, my suggestion is, for the love of god, USE HEADPHONES.  in the later albums, especially, there is so much going on spatially.  and pay extra attention to set and setting.  the band never clicked for me for years coming out of a TV on Rage.  and avoid any kind of typical youtube experience.  thats the equivalent of stuffing a fine dining meal onto a hotdog bun, covering it tomato sauce, and then washing it down with homebrand cordial as you run for an inner city bus.

ppl: dont believe the hype!  just really listen.  conversely, maybe they suck.

That album came out when i was just starting uni, and having come to the Radiohead bandwagon pretty late, I found it odd that so many people were so disparaging of their 'new' sound.  I liked it.  And singles aside, those albums had some killer songs on them that were a lot more reminiscent and prescient: motion picture soundtrack, national anthem, etc.

I described Thom's performance as 'gutsy' based on the fact that Radiohead had up to that point a legion of fans who loved them for their guitar based rock. Thom taught himself to play keyboard before making Kid A and placed his fledgling skills in the most prominent place possible, to herald their new direction (which was sure to come under immense scrutiny). To me, that's pretty gutsy. 

They should have just hired a professional. Nobody wants to pay full price for an album and end up with some amateur hour karaoke jam. How would you feel if you'd chosen Freelance Synth Master as a career choice, struggling to make your way because the common people can't tell the difference between a practised genius and a fumbling beginner? Not only are you barely able to feed yourself but now you have to look on while that fumbling beginner who took your job enjoys even more worldwide fame and unending riches.

Thom, stop being a clown shoe. Hire a professional next time.

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2018 at 6:35 PM, @~thehung said:

ha!  shit is an apostrophe dammit

ppl: dont believe the hype!  just really listen.  conversely, maybe they suck.

i tried on the very lovely klipsch promedia 2.1's on my desk

i will, on your advice, trial using the audiotechnicha ad700's that do fine service to pink floyd

but sadly, what i heard so far didn't really hit the spot

it does lead me however to recommend that you might listen to david sylvian (if you don't already) - some of the tracks on rain tree crow are simply stunning; and also, if you need a marvellous experience in ambience, don the 'phones and click this link :

On 10/27/2018 at 4:20 PM, i_am_banned2 said:

They should have just hired a professional. Nobody wants to pay full price for an album and end up with some amateur hour karaoke jam. How would you feel if you'd chosen Freelance Synth Master as a career choice, struggling to make your way because the common people can't tell the difference between a practised genius and a fumbling beginner? Not only are you barely able to feed yourself but now you have to look on while that fumbling beginner who took your job enjoys even more worldwide fame and unending riches.

Thom, stop being a clown shoe. Hire a professional next time.

The budget must have been tight.