Sign in to follow this  
AccessDenied

Arduino for kids.

So..  I was looking for resources for teaching kids to program arduinos.  Had a hard time.  Got grumpy about it. 

Then my realization.  

Why not just do it myself.  

So I've started doing my "Parents guide to teaching kids Arduino"

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oI3l3Z6l2hTJxFmyGbULlcUbLOOm7_fU  

Give it a click.  This is still *VERY* early.  I mean really early.  I'm going to be adding inputs next.  Then a project.  Then adding information about PWM.  

You get the idea.  

However, if you have kids, OR if you are wanting to learn Arduino and have minimal coding experience, have a looksie.  Let me know.

Feedback appreciated.  

The end results will be provided for free, to any and all.

AD

• Like 1

I've been wanting to do this for a while, but none of my schools were particularly interested in spending money on it. One school went straight to EV3...

What's the target age group?

It looks good, if in need of some editing/formatting TLC. 🙂

Hey guys.  Sorry I haven't been more active.  Life.  

My target age group is around 8 - 12 yrs old.  BUT.  I'm trying to also write it as a parents guide.  

It's a kind of odd line to walk.  I'd love it so that it was a "Just give this to the kids and walk away".  But given I'm a hands on parent with teaching, I tend to include that as well.  Hope that makes sense.

I did some teaching off the cuff with my son about PWM.  But it felt too advanced for him.  I hadn't done inputs yet.  (I haven't had time to solder some things together.  Long story.  Bought wrong buttons).  

But.  This project is not forgotten.  

It'll keep going.  Not as fast as I'd hope.  But it'll progress.

My goal at the end:

A student can accept an input.  Digital or analogue.

A student can output to digital, analogue and PWM.

They can accept inputs from different sources (eg.  Proximity/noise/light/button)

They understand variables.

They understand functions.

If they can do all that, then they can do a LOT with an arduino.

And as far as I'm concerned, it's also a good intro to programming.

AD

I really want to get into mBots

They use both Arduino compatible hardware, and also have a range of programming options, such as Scratch. And the bluetooth version can be programmed on an iPad (4+)

mBots come with a range of robotics elements and you add additional elements easily, such as sensors and displays.

Plus, you can dive into the raw Arduino programming at any point and use/make your own external devices.

Edited by smadge1

mbots is really cool..  

You might be interested in this.  

There is a newish magazine called "Diyode".  They specialize in teaching this sorta thing.  

Here is their version of mbot:  https://diyodemag.com/projects/part_five_sam_v1_4_talk_back_with_sam  

If you subscribe you get the 3d plans so you can print your own etc etc.

I subscribed to Diyode (and will continue to do so) after I saw their method of dealing with piracy:
https://diyodemag.com/news/diyode_magazine_embraces_change  

I don't work for them.  Just respect them, and really enjoy their magazine.  I look forward to it every month.

Have a look through some of their articles.  

AD

I've been following Diyode on Facebook since they launched, but haven't been in a position to subscribe though.

Fair enough.  

I've been a little busy with Real Life lately.  My plans to develop my instructions have not been ignored.  Just briefly back-burnered.  I'm hoping to get some more instructions written up in next week or 2.

AD