Sign in to follow this  
eveln

Name your fish and chip shop in a politically correct manner Please !!

34 minutes ago, Rybags said:

The proper use of avocado is as the counter to hot salsa or sauce in Mexican type food.  On it's own, it's bland and boring and about as exciting as eating unaccompanied couscous or rice.

hot salsa is not a go to, or even a once in a while choice to  my dietary  requirements, so to have a ripe without bruises avocado sliced with some ground black pepper and maybe roma tomatoes sliced on top too is bloody refreshing und yummy !

39 minutes ago, Rybags said:

On it's own, it's bland and boring and about as exciting as eating unaccompanied couscous or rice

Oh thank Ghu!  Everyone I know seems to think avos are fabulous.  IT'S GREEN MARGARINE, FFS!  And rice, btw, at least has texture going for it.

• Haha 1

?

You are not alone Cybes, I think they are overpriced rubbish with half the exorbitant cost being by weight a useless so- called seed that my kids have tried many times to germinate without success.

I sort of overlook them in a salad, much tastier things in there but my friends, whom I did not know had yuppie tendencies think they are some kind of manna...

Rubbish, go eat a tomato, it has flavour. ?

Cheers

I don't think I've bothered to buy one more than a few times ever.  The wank factor associated with them as well as the price turns me off.

As good as nachos is with the guacomole, it doesn't suffer too much if you just use sour cream alone.

squished on toast they are great with salt and pepper

at least no tosser has yet declared them a superfood

and make an excellent first course to be followed up with squished ripe banana and cumin on the same bread

6 hours ago, Rybags said:

On it's own, it's bland and boring and about as exciting as eating unaccompanied couscous or rice.

It's mostly just fat.  You'd be better off comparing it to butter, or one of the unripened white cheases.

15 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

at least no tosser has yet declared them a superfood

But they did.  The good fats. 

?

I get my "good fats" from meat,  not some insipid so-called fruit...

Cheers

lol you guys !  ^^.  hahahahaha :P~~

as a kid I used to squish banana for my sammich. didn't know or feel the need for cumin tho. ... prolly crunchy peanut butter was more my style back then. now I've given up peanut butter and squishing any fruit.

I barely ever touch bananas - NFI why, they're great in custard.  But can't stay away from banana milk shakes or ice creams.

4 hours ago, Rybags said:

I barely ever touch bananas - NFI why, they're great in custard.  But can't stay away from banana milk shakes or ice creams.

Like 'em best with a caramelised sugar syrup in a split.  Best quality vanilla icecream, ripe 'nana, then melt some sugar with a nob of butter and brown it a bit and pour it on.  Nummy!

Very much a "sometimes" food, or your arteries will leap out and strangle you in self defence.

in about a half hour or so we gonna have some sliced av with some salt and ground black pepper seasoning and sliced roma tomato on crisp bread ... just thought I'd share that with you

On 11/2/2018 at 8:29 PM, eveln said:

You do know, that it wasn't till the QLD pollie And social media got on board that the owner felt the need to explain herself - before her biz died in the arse due to negative social media hyperbole. - The business had been running along quite nicely ( I believe ) in it's own little neck of the woods
for a whole year . I'd say that our State Gov. pollies have a lot more that they should be spending the time ( and our precious tax dollars on ) than giving this small business owner a hard time and potentially ruining the shops trade and the owner's livelyhood

It wouldn't stop me going there if the food was ok. I also think the issue is overblown, and the pollies need to pull their neck in a bit. If business has been going down hill since someone drew attaention to the name on social media, then those customers really need to take a look at themselves - a shop they obviously liked and were happy to buy from, they sheepishly started ignoring because it was suddenly 'controversial' - A few might have not realised, and now decided they had a problem with it, but to make a difference, I'd expect there's a bunch of spineless sheep.

But I still stand my my position that the name while poor form, but generally inoffensive -  doesn't do anything to address domestic violence or even progress the discussion of domestic violence, so a questionable business decision.

Back to the Avocado Discussion: I'm also in the 'definitely overrated' camp, Don't mind, in moderation, it in some situations and it's rarely worth the cost these days.

9 hours ago, stadl said:

But I still stand my my position that the name while poor form, but generally inoffensive -  doesn't do anything to address domestic violence or even progress the discussion of domestic violence, so a questionable business decision.

It's a fish and chip shop ? not a self help organisation ... although it might well be the owners' self help answer to her private history, if you know what I mean. So in that respect, it is addressing dv . The shop's existence is a statement of " fuck you " to the perpetrators of dv.
It could also be said that others dealing with their own issues of dv can look at the biz and realise there is life and livelyhood prospects beyond the horrors of dv .

As for my comment of the biz going backwards due to social media grandstanding, that's my negative assumption only and hopefully not the owner's reality. So excuse me there please.

On 11/5/2018 at 10:20 AM, stadl said:

But I still stand my my position that the name while poor form, but generally inoffensive -  doesn't do anything to address domestic violence or even progress the discussion of domestic violence, so a questionable business decision

Yet it has apparently got the nation talking about the shop name and  Domestic Violence so it may be progressing the discussion somewhat.

• Like 1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-22/battered-wife-fish-chip-shop-owner-says-forced-to-sell/10737816

" The owner of The Battered Wife fish and chip shop in far north Queensland says she has been forced to sell up because of an "abusive witch hunt".

In a video posted to social media, store owner Carolyn Kerr said it was with '"deep sadness" she had to sell.

"As many of you know I've been the subject of an abusive witch hunt by a not-for-profit organisation who are 'anti-abuse'," Ms Kerr said.

"However, they've threatened to throw bricks through my window, they've complained to ASIC to have my business name revoked.

"Then they complained to Industrial Relations and Child Protective Services … saying that I was employing kids and I was participating in child exploitation."

Ms Kerr blamed an impending audit on the financial decision to pack up her Innisfail restaurant.

"Last week I was informed that anonymous complaints were made to Department of Fair Work, who are now acting on it and doing an audit on my business," Ms Kerr said."

" The shop's name drew criticism from Queensland MPs from all sides of politics last year, with the Attorney-General and Opposition Leader condemning the name.

A barrage of social media posts at the time the name was making headlines described it as "disgusting", as well as saying it "trivialises" domestic violence.

Ms Kerr, who told the ABC last year she was a former policewoman, defended the name of her shop, saying she was raising awareness of the issue.

People have rallied in support of the shop on social media.

"Get a quote for your audit, start a GoFundMe page and let us all help — I'm beyond angry right now," one post said.

"This poor lady is only trying to run a buinsness [sic] in a small town, who frankly dont see a problem with the name! Keep your head high darl! The town has your back!" reads another.

Ms Kerr said her shop would cease trading on January 28."

Well ain't that a shame. Sometimes people can really truly suck.  Stupid narrow-minded fucks just close down a fish and chip shop. ?

On 11/5/2018 at 9:20 AM, stadl said:

Back to the Avocado Discussion: I'm also in the 'definitely overrated' camp, Don't mind, in moderation, it in some situations and it's rarely worth the cost these days.

Call me a low-down dirty hipster if you must, but I am partial to that fancy smashed avo thing young folks today pay the best part of $20 for. Discovered this joint recently that takes it to a pretty special level:

Smashed Avo with red onion feta and lemon, a sprinkle of dukka, topped with a dollop of labni, fresh coriander and pomegranate on sourdough - 17.5

I get it with a couple of poached eggs, it's to fucken die for. 

I used to hate it, but now I kinda like it. I think maybe Vietnamese pork rolls converted me. 

On 23/01/2019 at 8:01 AM, scruffy1 said:

she can re-open as "the gutted businesswoman"

The Gutted Wife perhaps.

I reckon she should fight it and the narrow-minded triggered-happy lowlifes who still need to take their issues out on others to feel something

Maybe go with the original name but punctuate it with a QR code pointing to a page telling the backstory. 

28 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

QR code pointing to a page telling the backstory

Why ? It's her business. If people truly care , then go meet the owner. See if she feels like telling her history to strangers. ffs. Just because "social media ' doesn't like " it" doesn't make it wrong

That’s so adorable.

@Kimmo actually thinks the people who made her life a living hell, ever bought from her in the first place.

The leftist outrage mob of twitter doesn’t actually contribute to civilization. They just tear down hard working people from armchairs in mum’s basement.