Ben Mansill

Did something just happen?

1 hour ago, Muinztar said:

Well at least for once I can unironically say that I welcome our new, new pom overlords.

When's atomic meet 5 going to happen anyway?

Meet 5? I think the next one will be Meet 18.

Clearly I am behind the times somewhat.

I remember:
Something like, "The World's Greatest LAN" (but that's not the name)

Then Irradiate

Then ... I can't remember the other two. They were the big ones I remember being on back in the heyday.

3 hours ago, Muinztar said:

When's atomic meet 5 going to happen anyway?

FIVE?  Man, I can remember Meet X happening, and that was a While ago.  Been testing out Fry's hibernation chamber?

There hasn't been a big LAN meet for a fair while now, actually. I don't remember if Brisbane or Sydney had the last one.

Any atomicans in the wider Sydney area? We could just have an old fashioned "Fuck it, let's have a beer" meet.

9 hours ago, Muinztar said:

Any atomicans in the wider Sydney area? We could just have an old fashioned "Fuck it, let's have a beer" meet.

I'm sure there are, but these days it's easier to advertise on Facebook.

On 19/02/2019 at 7:32 AM, SacrificialNewt said:

I'm sure there are, but these days it's easier to advertise on Facebook.

And also in community and not random threads.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

Old people? I thought we were the cool kids!

Yup. 50, and still feel like the first day of highschool.

• Like 1

🙂

I don't recall your getting any younger mate 🙂

Actually I thought Cybes had posted to comment on the site going down about an hour ago - sql server went bye bye - almost like old times  🙂

Cheers

Posted (edited)

After all these many years, from the joy of the magazines creation and success, to the first meets and IRC and all the social events and community - way before Facebook existed - Atomic brought so many firsts.  My biggest upset was when it ended and the owners who decided to absorb it, shunt the website into a corner of their domain and eventually pulled the plug on our magazine.  To my mind that was a huge loss of a unique group that drastically reduced in size, vibrancy and tempo.  We struggle through for many years - a shadow of what it had been - a a real testament to those that carry on steadfastly loyal and ever helpful.  I wonder if with this new ownership if a Renaissance offering might be pitched Ben?  What a Phoenix move that could be!  The community of Atomic and its most vibrant was a thing unique in all my years and experiences - and as I said all before Facebook!  If one trawled through the Greenroom over its many years a researcher would find anthropological gold!

Hope that is not just an idle fancy, if Atomic re-emerged at full force imagine what it could be today...

Edited by g__day
  • Like 2

🙂

Stranger things have happened g_day.

Facebook certainly is showing a lot of cracks, and having problems with its very pervasiveness. That murderous bastard streaming from Christchurch is bound to be copy-catted. That has led to a large getting together of the tech companies especially in the U.S. to see if there are smarter ways to kill that sort of content fast.

dude, who hasn't been here in ages, commented to me not so long ago that FB was going to implode and then he'd bring his forum back to life.

It really would not surprise me much, a forum of forums, which is what FB is, I don't find particularly healthy.

I've never been there to speak of, have an account to help friends bitching about some short coming or another of the place but beyond that it just does not interest me.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 24/02/2019 at 9:45 PM, chrisg said:

I don't recall your getting any younger mate

Clarification: *I* don't feel any older.  My *body*, otoh, is thoroughly fuxxored.

🙂

I was referring to Cael rather than you Cybes   🙂

Cheers

• Like 1