Jump to content
Chaos.Lady

So - who's around these days?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Chaos.Lady said:

Yeah, we are trying to make it not TOO noticeable. 

Just like me...

 

 

 

Edited by GTAV6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Until last night the O was as intended, now it's a slashed zero.

(Firefox browser)

Yep Ry.  I change it this morning after @thehung had an issue with the previous one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, i am getting the italicised phi thingo

but dont change it on my account if it might be just me!

 

i looked around a bit for some other options:

theres this: Atʘmican looks kinda good, but Herʘ looks kind of shit :/

or there's the goatse option haha: At   ҉ mican

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Nich... said:

Her@ maybe?

NOW he comes up with a decent idea... 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chaos.Lady said:

NOW he comes up with a decent idea... 😛

Her@ = Hera = Sister/wife of Zeus

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a nice gesture to recognise the ones who are keeping the halls of Atomic echoing with the sound of nerdliness.

It's a bit of an empty house these days hey? Like a manor house that has slowly reduced it's staff.

Everyone who is still active is a Hero in my book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my social life is so pathetic i have to party where i can get it

 

and this fits the bill... a small gathering of agreeably weird people who are in many ways more similar to me than most of the rest of the world

  • Like 2
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

and this fits the bill... a small gathering of agreeably weird people who are in many ways more similar to me than most of the rest of the world

and here I thought I was alone in that ^^ thought ... a little bit scary no ? 🙂

/ due to our old fritz being fritzed in an impressive thunderstorm last week this is my first day back on line. and due to WoT being all fired up to get in with it's own update, I had to wait a bit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/12/2018 at 11:44 AM, Chaos.Lady said:

So, anyone who visits in a year will move to this group.  The way the promotion system works is that anyone who visits moving forward, and is currently an Atomican, will move into this new glowy green group which will show under their picture and in their profile.  Nich and I are still arguing about whether you will be put back into the default white Atomican group after 12 months of inactivity. 🙂

Let us know what you think!

Mmm, been pondering on the above.

I know it's been said a few times around the place that the "Super Hero" and "Hero" tags don't mean as much today ... however, I reckon a long lost "SH" or "H" returning for a look-see or < shock horror > even to post might feel kinda chuffed that their status has stayed regardless of the times and changes.

Also, in my ( days) of absence, I notice that Cybes is no longer tagged a "Hero"  ... is this because it was never up to a Mod but rather the Gods to make the call of the "Hero" or "Super Hero" ?  - [ even though my personal opinion is that he is worthy of the Blue ]

I guess I'm saying don't fuck with the history in trying to bring the forum into the future - because if you make all go to default after an absence of 12 months it will then change their tag through out time as well, meaning their past honours are no longer honoured, and to my mind
that would be sad and a tad callous perhaps.

 

On 06/12/2018 at 2:20 PM, TheManFromPOST said:

I'm not here

 

Just because you be distracted just now does not make you less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is pointless, people's activeness is obvious by virtue of the fact we see their posts.
? Do you mean that a hero that hasn't posted for a year would lose their honorific and be de heroed ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2018 at 9:05 PM, eveln said:

Mmm, been pondering on the above.

I know it's been said a few times around the place that the "Super Hero" and "Hero" tags don't mean as much today ... however, I reckon a long lost "SH" or "H" returning for a look-see or < shock horror > even to post might feel kinda chuffed that their status has stayed regardless of the times and changes.

Also, in my ( days) of absence, I notice that Cybes is no longer tagged a "Hero"  ... is this because it was never up to a Mod but rather the Gods to make the call of the "Hero" or "Super Hero" ?  - [ even though my personal opinion is that he is worthy of the Blue ]

I guess I'm saying don't fuck with the history in trying to bring the forum into the future - because if you make all go to default after an absence of 12 months it will then change their tag through out time as well, meaning their past honours are no longer honoured, and to my mind
that would be sad and a tad callous perhaps.

 

Hey Ev,

We were never suggesting changing a super or a hero back to an atomican because of activity.  Once you get the tag, you stay that.  You earned it and that's that.  The way we have set it up is that a returning person (no matter what group) will be a brighter color than an inactive member.  So a Super at the moment is a cyan type color.  An active one will be a bright cyan, whereas an inactive one is a darker cyan.  The Heroes are a bright blue for active and a darker one for inactive.  Atomicans are glowy green for active and default white for inactive.

Yes, Cybes was put back to his original rank  as it was only changed because I was testing some functionality.  Same with you and Scruffy.  Yes, I agree he deserves it, however you never know what the future may hold.

Does that clear it up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chaos.Lady said:

Hey Ev,

We were never suggesting changing a super or a hero back to an atomican because of activity.  Once you get the tag, you stay that.  You earned it and that's that.  The way we have set it up is that a returning person (no matter what group) will be a brighter color than an inactive member.  So a Super at the moment is a cyan type color.  An active one will be a bright cyan, whereas an inactive one is a darker cyan.  The Heroes are a bright blue for active and a darker one for inactive.  Atomicans are glowy green for active and default white for inactive.

Yes, Cybes was put back to his original rank  as it was only changed because I was testing some functionality.  Same with you and Scruffy.  Yes, I agree he deserves it, however you never know what the future may hold.

 

Does that clear it up?

Ahh good morning Chaos. yes that clears it up just dandily thankyou. Colour and light is a wonderful thing ... go forth and prosper with it ! I say 🙂

Edited by eveln

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[ disclaimer : to my knowledge I've not been subject ( yet ) to any of the issues below ]

moar thoughts ...

Often one reads and notices that peoples levels have changed usually due to updates. Why ? For instance that member @Muinztar Had his question in the "roll call" thread . He's certainly not the first and it seems won't be the last to ask the same type of question :)

Over my time here I've read lots of members say they've been a Guru or a Champion or Titan < or name your pick > a few times over in their life span on here ... I've always wondered why that is  ( for some of us ) the case and not for  others .
Of course none of this is 'end of the world' or even 'first world' critical, but the fact that people comment on it means they do have some ( minor perhaps ) care about it.

Some have issues with post counts between updates too  ... I notice @Chaos.Lady has lost about 70,000 in the last one ( bummer for her 🤣 ) but @Nich... seems to have held on to his 40,000 -ish counts ... no idea whether that number of Nich's differs from this update to the last.

 

In case you be wondering ... I have a few days off and today is my allotted totally slack day :)

... also as you can see I was unable to highlight Chaos and Nich as I could do with Muinztar 😣

to sum up : I think the various levels are recognised by users old and new and with that they have meaning and should probably stay . Relegating every one to nuclear green or white Atomican is a bit well bland really and boring ... and nobody likes to be boring 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eveln said:

[ disclaimer : to my knowledge I've not been subject ( yet ) to any of the issues below ]

moar thoughts ...

Often one reads and notices that peoples levels have changed usually due to updates. Why ? For instance that member @Muinztar Had his question in the "roll call" thread . He's certainly not the first and it seems won't be the last to ask the same type of question 🙂

Over my time here I've read lots of members say they've been a Guru or a Champion or Titan < or name your pick > a few times over in their life span on here ... I've always wondered why that is  ( for some of us ) the case and not for  others .
Of course none of this is 'end of the world' or even 'first world' critical, but the fact that people comment on it means they do have some ( minor perhaps ) care about it.

Some have issues with post counts between updates too  ... I notice @Chaos.Lady has lost about 70,000 in the last one ( bummer for her 🤣 ) but @Nich... seems to have held on to his 40,000 -ish counts ... no idea whether that number of Nich's differs from this update to the last.

 

In case you be wondering ... I have a few days off and today is my allotted totally slack day 🙂

... also as you can see I was unable to highlight Chaos and Nich as I could do with Muinztar 😣

to sum up : I think the various levels are recognised by users old and new and with that they have meaning and should probably stay . Relegating every one to nuclear green or white Atomican is a bit well bland really and boring ... and nobody likes to be boring 😛

So here is the sitch.

The ranks have changed a couple of times in the past when we have adjusted post-counts.  That hasn't happened for many years, but did happen in the early days.  Then we moved to the V3 atomic and the archives were pared off.  At first, the post-count including the archives posts were included in your count.  Then the forum was upgraded a while ago and it re-counted posts (only taking into account V3 posts and nothing in the archives).  This reset everyone to only posts that were in V3 and they lost the count from the archives.  At one point we then managed to get super Dan to add the counts back in, but then another upgrade happened and we lost them again.  Now the archives are unavailable and we haven't managed to get the counts across again.

We are working on this in the background, however I can't yet give you a time-frame for if it will be fixed or even if it CAN be fixed at this stage.  I can't even promise that if another upgrade happens you won't be set back to serf.  But we will do our best. 🙂

The ranks haven't changed in years and years.  You start as a serf with 0 posts and work your way up to Colossus at 65536 posts.

Serf    0
Initiate    16
Learner    32
Apprentice    64
Journeyman    128
Charge    256
Master    512
Primarch    1024
Overlord    2048
Champion    4096
Guru    8192
Titan    16384
Immortal    32768
Colossus    65536

The groups are as they have always been (mostly) as well.  For anyone who is super curious, here they are (most of them)

Atomican (127+ posts, inactive atomicans)
Atømican  (127+ posts, active atomican)
God   (mag staff)
Goddess  (mag staff)
Guests (not logged in)
Hero (inactive hero)
Herø (active hero)
Lurker (less than 15 posts)
Mod (mod)
Quark (15 to 126 posts)
Super Hero (inactive Superhero)
Super Herø (active Superhero)

 

SO... tl;dr version is it's a known bug and we are working on it, but can't promise anything at this point except that your post count should be your V3 post count going forward as far as we know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

righto 🙂 ... on a personal scale Iv'e been here for one maybe two updates and to my knowledge sailed through just hunky dory ( thanks to whichever godness is responsible there 🙂 ) ... so I was curious as to why some don't sail through quite so cleanly ... is all.

Having dutifully read my FAQ and subsequent updates I am conversant with the first of your lists above. Thanks for the second one, as I think that's the one presently undergoing tweeks, yes .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an addendum to Chaos's last informative post (or should that be her first informative post...), when we introduced 'reputation' points from being able to hit like and other reactions on posts, I recreated the original postcount 'levels' from way back (I think the numbers and ranks are right, but it's hard to say at this point).

The problem with postcounts is that they're nominally attached to user accounts, but sometimes as part of maintenance - like major forum updates - it will re-index things and recount them 'manually' for everyone.  The archives were always kept as a separate database, because of how they were made, so we can't just automatically add it all back in.  Anything post-2008 is here.  Anything before then is... somewhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×